Steve McClaren sacked as Newcastle United 'Head Coach' (Manager)

Tooj

Having no faith in Ashley/Charnley doesn't let McClaren off the hook nor Ashley/Charnley either. What is defeatist is saying 'well he's the best we can get'. Sorry, like, but fucking demand for better, we're allowed to if we want, despite scoobos 'expectations' bollocks.

I don't think he's the best we can get, but he's about as good as we're going to get. Newcastle United could attract managers from both a pool of young promising coaches, or from a pool of established experienced managers. We're a Premier League club with history, support, finance and facilities. We've a squad that, with a little more investment/tinkering could well be challenging for a european spot.

However, Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley would rather gamble on a the cheaper option being good enough to keep us in the League. So when someone says McClaren is as good as it'll get under Ashley, they're not wrong. Doesn't mean they're happy about it, nor does it mean they'll meekly accept it.

I said we HAD no chance of getting Garde back then, but now we probably do have a chance (thus the "maybe not now tho!") comment, as he's had a howler and will soon be out of work with his reputation damaged. the team got worse under him.

How are you sure we had no chance of getting Garde? Also, I think the problems at Villa are similar to our own; a losing mentality running through the club.

I don't think anyone in the Premiership has problems similar to our own. My view is that the FA should be creating rules to limit who can run a football club that's registered with them. I don't know of another club in the Premiership that is setup as a free advertising mechanism / secondary business and has had all of its retail arms handed over to the owners own companies.

Ashley doesn't give a fuck about success, he's taking the piss and laughing all the way to the bank, he's no scruples what so ever. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he enjoys just squeaking through, if only to fuck over the fans who try to intimidate him. (not quite as close as this year though)

I thought McLaren was above what we could reasonably get, he is (just) an experienced and established manager.

I think its too much of a gamble for a "young" up and coming manager - believe it or not, I know a manager of this ilk, whos doing particularly well in the lower leagues. Taking a job like Newcastle would constrain him too much and if he failed due to Charnley / Ashley it could well destroy his career if the responsibility is pinned on him.

Edited by scoobos

I don't think anyone in the Premiership has problems similar to our own. My view is that the FA should be creating rules to limit who can run a football club that's registered with them. I don't know of another club in the Premiership that is setup as a free advertising mechanism / secondary business and has had all of its retail arms handed over to the owners own companies.

Ashley doesn't give a fuck about success, he's taking the piss and laughing all the way to the bank, he's no scruples what so ever. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he enjoys just squeaking through, if only to fuck over the fans who try to intimidate him. (not quite as close as this year though)

I thought McLaren was above what we could reasonably get, he is (just) an experienced and established manager.

Well, no, they're not exactly the same. I was speaking generally. Owners like Short, Lerner, Ashley, could afford to employ the right people for each position at their club and cement themselves in the top half of the table. Newcastle, sunderland and Villa all have sufficient credentials to be attractive to good players, good coaches, and capable backroom staff if sold properly. Instead they're mismanaged from top to bottom.

As an aside, I don't think Ashley gives a fuck what the fans think, positive or negative. I don't think he's made decisions to spite fans, he's just made decisions to further his brand.

Genuinely, we could have enticed Tuchel, Garde, de Boer, etc. if we'd a) sold it properly and B) ensured (contractually) them the kind of spending/control in the transfer window as we've seen McClaren enjoy.

Genuinely, we could have enticed Tuchel, Garde, de Boer, etc. if we'd a) sold it properly and B) ensured (contractually) them the kind of spending/control in the transfer window as we've seen McClaren enjoy.

If you believe we can attract that calibre of manager (excluding Garde as he looks lost at Villa) then doesn't it follow that we shouldn't be accepting McClaren. Isn't that that what Howmanheyman is saying? We just say well Ashley won't do that so under those circumstances we just have to put up with what we get. We should be saying McClaren has never shown that he's good enough to get this job and we want someone who can do it as it should be done.

If you believe we can attract that calibre of manager (excluding Garde as he looks lost at Villa) then doesn't it follow that we shouldn't be accepting McClaren. Isn't that that what Howmanheyman is saying? We just say well Ashley won't do that so under those circumstances we just have to put up with what we get. We should be saying McClaren has never shown that he's good enough to get this job and we want someone who can do it as it should be done.

The point being while Newcastle United can attract top managers, Mike Ashley (via Charnley) won't secure them. Either because they won't approach them, or because they refuse to offer the assurances that a top manager would need. We shouldn't meekly accept McClaren as the best we can get, but unless there's a change at board level demanding a new manager is as likely to result in another McClaren as it is a Carver and it's very unlikely to result in a Tuchel, a de Boer or whomever.

It'd be like ordering chateaubriand at Burger King, shout and wail as much as you like, but it's not going to happen*.

*unless there's a seismic shift at the top.

wtf is chateaubriand ? is this another one of those cringeworthy English trends , like proscecco or whatever the fuck its called that everyone was drinking when I visited last year?

I'm not really convinced we've seen McLaren "enjoy" freedom in the transfer market, hes still only 1 guy out of 4 decision makers. Mitro , Shelvey and Thompson may well be his choices, but who knows really?

I never said it was English I said it was an English trend. Nowhere else in the world I visited last year had bottles of the stuff in every fuckin house. Oooo it's like champagne but cheaper..... ffs. Sparkling wine is sparkling wine.

bad day at the office.... now fuck off getting on poor Steve's back the lot of you and give the old bastard a chance.

Edited by scoobos

The point being while Newcastle United can attract top managers, Mike Ashley (via Charnley) won't secure them. Either because they won't approach them, or because they refuse to offer the assurances that a top manager would need. We shouldn't meekly accept McClaren as the best we can get, but unless there's a change at board level demanding a new manager is as likely to result in another McClaren as it is a Carver and it's very unlikely to result in a Tuchel, a de Boer or whomever.

It'd be like ordering chateaubriand at Burger King, shout and wail as much as you like, but it's not going to happen*.

*unless there's a seismic shift at the top.

The point is though if we don't kick up a fuss then Ashley will just keep on with the same shite he has done so far. Of course even if we do make a fuss it might make no difference but that shouldn't be a reason to just accept the status quo. You'd have made a god awful revolutionary if that's your attitude Fish!

Edit - townsend thompson same fuckin thing ;)

I agree with DK

<edit> my view is if we could manage to keep "new fans" away from St james and the existing season ticket holders just don't show up for 2 games in a row, the media will get right on his back.

There was no better opportunity than when the media were on to his Sports Direct sweatshop, with MP's on the news discussing it - for AshleyOut to really go for the jugular. But getting a co-ordinated effort in footie fans is like herding cats , it seems.

Do something like everyone go to the match, but don't enter the stadium, just sit on the bank and block the buses / cars exiting the stadium, just fucking anything really.

Edited by scoobos

Have to love someone who lives in a different country telling match-going fans how to spend their Saturday afternoons like. Blocking buses ffs :lol: The globe-trotting looky looky man has spoken

no need to jump on me, I can't help living away ..

if people keep packing the stadium, the show will go on.... Or ok, if you don't like that at least do something or the AshleyOut Campaign can't really be named as such can it?

Continually jumping on managers and putting blame on them is not dealing with the problem at all. The problem isn't the managers is it? We haven't even got a squad where we can play all players in their natural positions do we?

Edited by scoobos

no need to jump on me, I can't help living away ..

if people keep packing the stadium, the show will go on.... Or ok, if you don't like that at least do something or the AshleyOut Campaign can't really be named as such can it?

I wasn't having a go at you for living away. I don't go to games any more anyway. It is a tacit approval of the regime in my view. But we can't sell out any more and the tickets have been frozen again so there is a drip-drip effect. If we went down again you wouldn't get the good will like last time. Not least because loads of people were tied into long-term deals then (and we came straight back up with no problems and a feel good factor). The worst thing is buying season tickets. All that money upfront makes any subsequent attempt at protest useless.

I still remember the Shepherd and Hall years... and they weren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination and I am definitely not saying that I would want them to still be at the club. But does anyone else think that if they were still in charge that we would be putting up with this level of performance on the pitch? Would McClaren have had this amount of time (or Pardew for that matter)? Would they try to sign Mourinho if they were still here?

Hah! No, Chateaubriand isn't an English trend, and sparkling wine is most definitely not sparkling wine.

100010x.jpg

By the way I don't think he's 1 of 4 decision makers. On the board there is Carr (the man who pushed for his appointment), Charnley (the man who appointed him) and Bob Concur.

Edited by The Fish

I still remember the Shepherd and Hall years... and they weren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination and I am definitely not saying that I would want them to still be at the club. But does anyone else think that if they were still in charge that we would be putting up with this level of performance on the pitch? Would McClaren have had this amount of time (or Pardew for that matter)? Would they try to sign Mourinho if they were still here?

They were to a large extent parasites who took as much out of the club as they possibly could. But they also had ambitions for the club too so no I don't think that they would have put up with the shite we have seen on the pitch for years without doing something about it. What they did could have easily been wrong mind you as the appointments of Souness,Roeder & Allardyce showed up their own weaknesses. But I can't see that they would have ever even remotely considered Pardew, McClaren or JFK for jobs here in the first place.

They were to a large extent parasites who took as much out of the club as they possibly could. But they also had ambitions for the club too so no I don't think that they would have put up with the shite we have seen on the pitch for years without doing something about it. What they did could have easily been wrong mind you as the appointments of Souness,Roeder & Allardyce showed up their own weaknesses. But I can't see that they would have ever even remotely considered Pardew, McClaren or JFK for jobs here in the first place.

That's how I see it. A shame we can't get someone with the financial nous AND ambition....