Steve McClaren sacked as Newcastle United 'Head Coach' (Manager)

Tooj

We just have to hope the other relegation candidates keep losing, because I doubt we'll get ourselves out of trouble by winning matches. The players are a gutless bunch of losers and the manager is a grinning buffoon.

We couldn't beat Villa, Everton (who hadn't won in ages) or Sheff Wed reserves at home this season and have lost six in a row to the tramps (who again look like they have more bottle than us) so I can't be confident we'll all those games.

I think this is the crux of the difference between us. I look at the wins and good performances against West Brom, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Stoke etc. for hope, you look at the losses and poor performances (of which there are many) for doom. I'd say the answer will likely lie somewhere in between.

We've 2 games in hand as the table stands and people were sure we'd be 3points adrift by now, but the other relegation teams are just as shit as we are and have remained within reach. An unlikely win against Stoke and we're level on points with Swansea, with a game in hand. A draw will take us out of the relegation zone. Even the likely loss means we're still level on points with 17th.

I think this is the crux of the difference between us. I look at the wins and good performances against West Brom, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Stoke etc. for hope, you look at the losses and poor performances (of which there are many) for doom. I'd say the answer will likely lie somewhere in between.

We've 2 games in hand as the table stands and people were sure we'd be 3points adrift by now, but the other relegation teams are just as shit as we are and have remained within reach. An unlikely win against Stoke and we're level on points with Swansea, with a game in hand. A draw will take us out of the relegation zone. Even the likely loss means we're still level on points with 17th.

The two games in hand are Stoke away and Man City at home though

The two games in hand are Stoke away and Man City at home though

They are. And I don't doubt that they're difficult games. But it's still 2 extra fixtures where we could get points. Norwich, sunderland, Swansea would all love the chance to add to their points total with an extra 2 fixtures.

Any word on when the City game is likely to be rescheduled? Pellegrini is likely to prioritise a CL game over ours if they're back to back. Though saying that, it'll be a midweek fixture.

They are. And I don't doubt that they're difficult games. But it's still 2 extra fixtures where we could get points. Norwich, sunderland, Swansea would all love the chance to add to their points total with an extra 2 fixtures.

Aye. Think if you offered me a single point I'd take it though.

Edited by Alex

My worry is that without Mbemba, and even Coloccini, we get howked tonight and the confidence takes a battering. Then going into the Bournemouth game with all that pressure and the same patched up defence, I would fear the worst especially as Bournemouth are getting some good results these days. 0 points from the next 2 games would be a disaster, and I don't go in for the argument that the teams around us are bad enough to keep us safe. Aye, they are shocking but these things are relative and the important question is are they worse than us. Looking at it objectively based on the results we've had this season you'd have to say not really. Especially after seeing the mackems scrap for a draw last night and Norwich push Leicester right to the end at the weekend. I think Swansea will pull away as well.

You can only say the teams below us, sorry team, are worse than us. The fact is we have less points or a worse goal difference than the rest. The two games in hand are much more likely to dent our goal difference than improve our points.

And that isn't me looking for the negatives, it's looking at the facts. Those facts say that we are more likely to lose a game than we are to win or draw it.

My worry is that without Mbemba, and even Coloccini, we get howked tonight and the confidence takes a battering. Then going into the Bournemouth game with all that pressure and the same patched up defence, I would fear the worst especially as Bournemouth are getting some good results these days. 0 points from the next 2 games would be a disaster, and I don't go in for the argument that the teams around us are bad enough to keep us safe. Aye, they are shocking but these things are relative and the important question is are they worse than us. Looking at it objectively based on the results we've had this season you'd have to say not really. Especially after seeing the mackems scrap for a draw last night and Norwich push Leicester right to the end at the weekend. I think Swansea will pull away as well.

Well, objectively, based on results, Norwich and sunderland have 24pts from 28 games, Swansea have 27 from 27. That's 0.86 and 1.00 PpG. Newcastle have 24pts from 26 games, 0.92 PpG.

Pp_G.png

Well, objectively, based on results, Norwich and sunderland have 24pts from 28 games, Swansea have 27 from 27. That's 0.86 and 1.00 PpG. Newcastle have 24pts from 26 games, 0.92 PpG.

Pp_G.png

Can you update that on a game to game basis please mate assuming we don't break away from the relegation fight (I know)

Can you update that on a game to game basis please mate assuming we don't break away from the relegation fight (I know)

I probably will do, but remind me if I forget.

Could you not just look at the league table?

surely the important information is where we stand in the league table, not the points per game shortfall standings?

It is important, but it doesn't give the full picture until after the final day completes. Hell, the current table will be out of date in less than 8 hours. time.

It is important, but it doesn't give the full picture until after the final day completes. Hell, the current table will be out of date in less than 8 hours. time.

Aye, and then there'll be a new up-to-date table :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aye, and then there'll be a new up-to-date table :lol: :lol: :lol:

Which doesn't give a full picture imo

Personally, I think PpG is an important stat to be aware of, as is a comparison between long, mid and short term form, I like to see home v away records, and so on.

Which doesn't give a full picture imo

Personally, I think PpG is an important stat to be aware of, as is a comparison between long, mid and short term form, I like to see home v away records, and so on.

It gives a fairly comprehensive picture at this stage of the season. I'm not having a piss boring argument with you about it though :lol:

surely the important information is where we stand in the league table, not the points per game shortfall standings?

Don't be silly. To get a full picture, you need to know exactly how many points per game you need from your remaining games in order to get a completely arbitrary total end of season points total of 40.