Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

Bombadil

Apologies if this has been mentioned:

Kinnear starts work at Newcastle

Newcastle interim manager Joe Kinnear has taken charge of training for the first time as he looks to bring some stability to the troubled club.

The Magpies have been without a manager since Kevin Keegan left the club, with Chris Hughton put in temporary charge.

Kinnear had a first look at his new squad on Tuesday after giving his players Monday off as he familiarised himself with his new surroundings.

"We decided to give the players a day off for a variety of reasons," he said.

"One is the fact that we are not playing until Sunday this week.

"And then it gave me the chance to go into the training ground yesterday and have a long chat with all my coaching and backroom staff.

"As a result, I knew all I had to know when the players came in today."

With the club's future off the pitch still unclear as owner Mike Ashley continues his search for a buyer, Kinnear will look to restore some pride on it after five straight defeats since Keegan's departure at the beginning of September.

Newcastle have not been helped by a series of injuries and suspensions, but they will be boosted by the return of Danny Guthrie, who has completed his three-match ban.

Spanish full-back Jose Enrique could also return for Sunday's trip to Everton after shaking off a hamstring injury.

"I have had a long chat with Chris Hughton and our medical team and the only one of the injured players we are likely to have back on Sunday is Jose Enrique," added Kinnear.

"That will give us a boost, as will having Danny Guthrie back from suspension.

"Unfortunately, the key players we have got missing could make us a better side. Chris says there are six players who, if fit, could be in the team."

The need for players, particularly in defence, has also led to some reports linking right-back Stephen Carr, who has been without a club since leaving Newcastle in the summer, with a return to St James' Park.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sick. Please God, no.

I predict he'll just pass the medical before his hamstrings will give out under the strain of supporting his enormous head and arse. He will then transfer his bulky frame onto the treatment table which no doubt still bears his imprint from all the years previously spent there. And there he'll stay when he's not stuffing his face with calories or counting his ill deserved cash till his contract runs out again.

I'd say we may be desperate but we're not daft, but judging by the calibre of decision making at SJP these days, maybe it's about right. Since Ashley and his assorted mob of cronies ran for the Fuhrer bunker and slammed the door, I reckon it's the caretaker and not the caretaker manager who's been making the footballing decisions. Stephen Carr? God help us ;)

From SkySports...

Newcastle have confirmed they are looking at bringing their former star Stephen Carr back to the club.

Magpies new interim manager Joe Kinnear has revealed that they are considering making the former Republic of Ireland international an offer to resurrect his St James' Park career.

Former boss Kevin Keegan released Carr at the end of last season after four years at the club.

"We are looking at his position, but a lot will depend on his fitness," Kinnear confirmed.

"We are short at both right and left-back, and it is not fair asking young boys who are really central defenders to play there.

"When that happens they look what they are - central defenders playing as full- backs.

"Stephen Carr is available and he is an experienced full- back, so we will just have to wait and see."

Championship Coventry, as well as German giants Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen, had been linked with Carr in recent weeks.