iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

I spent half an hour trying to make an MP3 a ringtone on my IPhone yesterday, something I could have done in 10 seconds on my old SE. Still doesn't work. So much for Apples being ultra-intuitive.

Should have got an Android!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be worth early adopters seeing if the reception is an issue. Beeb.

Lad I work with got one yesterday. Hadnt had this problem but he, and a couple of others I know, say that the reception has dramatically improved.

I'll be getting one, just once the panic has died down.

Got mine yesterday and reception is great when it's sitting on the desk but drops to 1 bar when you hold it. No problem though as Steve Jobs has gone on record to say it's not an issue with the phone, it's the way people are holding it! :rolleyes:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/06/28/...old-your-nokia/

:D

I spent half an hour trying to make an MP3 a ringtone on my IPhone yesterday, something I could have done in 10 seconds on my old SE. Still doesn't work. So much for Apples being ultra-intuitive.

Really?, takes me about 30secs using iTunes (if I'm being particular about which part of the song I want to make into a ringtone).

Clicky for instructions

Really?, takes me about 30secs using iTunes (if I'm being particular about which part of the song I want to make into a ringtone).

Clicky for instructions

Well that's NINE steps listed there involving iTunes rather than what should be one action using the iPhone OS. Not to mention that I had to reconfigure the way Vista displayed my folders for this to work. And after all this, I just can't get it to synch. Apparently, and rather incredibly, this doesn't work with MP3 music purchased from iTunes either! That's a bit rubbish really.

I can't argue with you that there should be a more intuitive way of doing it and it should be included in the OS. I think part of it is down to the licensing restrictions Apple are bound by for iTunes and the Store.

Never heard of the problem with purchased music, but I know there are certain restrictions on them, so it doesn't surprise me. A fudge workaround for removing said restrictions is to burn the content to cd and then re-import. The mp3's are then exactly the same as stuff you've ripped etc.

Again, not ideal; but for whatever reasons, Apple do tend to hamstring users over certain things which is irritating/frustrating to say the least.

Just convert the MP3 to AAC (or m4a), then rename it to m4r and drag it into iTunes.

You're using it wrong. 95% of my time spent on my phone is listening to music not making shitty ringtones. When you use the iPhone like this and sync with a mac, you'll be much less frustrated

Phone calls, music, twitter, Internet, news apps. Owt else is superfluous nonsense.

You're using it wrong. 95% of my time spent on my phone is listening to music not making shitty ringtones. When you use the iPhone like this and sync with a mac, you'll be much less frustrated

Phone calls, music, twitter, Internet, news apps. Owt else is superfluous nonsense.

I'm not one to bother with ringtones normally, but I've got a specific one in mind for a reason.

And no fucking way am I buying a Mac and joining the Cult of Jobs. :D

Got the iphone first day it came out bang on opening time, Sounds sad but its the only way i would be able to pick up my reservation as some sad fuckers have to work for a living :rolleyes: was at front of the Q outside but then a load of chinese people ran ahead of me when they opened the doors, Fucking running, Sad gits. I strolled up and ended up like 20 something in the Q but then they all got shifted because they were hoping to buy on the day, ended up 4th or something. Apple employee's are a complete embarrassment aswell, Stood clapping and wooting for 10 minutes while people stood outside, Waiting to pick it up and carry on with their life and all that.

The phone itself is only a tiny bit better than the 3gs, Sharper screen and just general speed is the only noticable things.

Chinese people have zero concept of queuing. I used to get a bus that ran through Chinatown in San Francisco and I wanted to kill the little mop-headed fuckers on a daily basis.

This. To be fair i understand they may do things a little different, But i bet many of them are born here in england so they should be acclimatized to the british way of queing and maybes discussing the weather while in the Q, And if you were in china and there was a mass free for all surely you would do as you see and pile in, Likewise in england if you see a Q then you should do as you see. A reckon am being to picky here :D

I'm not one to bother with ringtones normally, but I've got a specific one in mind for a reason.

And no fucking way am I buying a Mac and joining the Cult of Jobs. :D

I think Chez has his Macboi goggles on there.

The previously mentioned convert to m4a (within iTunes) rename to m4r (in explorer - not hidden) and drag back into itunes is correct and that's how I've done it, one to 4 occasions I've ever done it.

Chez is correct in that syncing the ringtones via Tunes is the most painless (click on the ringtones tab on your iphone in itunes and tick the box). However, it all works totally pain-free on a PC too :rolleyes:

For the record I'm running iTunes 9.2 under Windows7. I think I last created a ringtone under 9.1 like, but it's not the point.

Anything that stops irritating ringtones sounds extremely intuitive if you ask me :D

Hooray for Apple!

• 2 weeks later...
Apple has called a surprise news conference on 16 July at 1800 (BST) to talk about the iPhone 4 as the clamour for the company to resolve antenna problems with the new device intensified.

The company has refused to give details about whether the event will address reception problems that some users have reported with the phone, launched just last month.

Apple has faced mounting criticism from analysts and consumers over its handling of the issue.

Industry watchers said the firm was in danger of damaging its "rock star" reputation over how poorly it had dealt with what would normally be a minor problem.

"It seems there has been a real crisis of leadership here," said Patrick Kerley, senior digital strategist for Levick Strategic Communications which deals in crisis managment and reputation protection.

"There are so many conflicting reports about this issue and a lot of confusion in the marketplace. They need a plan of attack. Today's companies have to react quickly before chatter on Facebook or Twitter turns into news headlines as is the case here," Mr Kereley told BBC News.

That was a view echoed by a number of other brand managers and industry analysts.

"They have not handled this well at all and they have turned this into a bigger problem than it needed to be," said Van Baker, senior vice president of research at Gartner.

Reports of problems with the iPhone 4's antennas started surfacing shortly after the phone went on sale on June 24. At that time some users claimed the signal strength fell away and calls were dropped when they gripped the phone on the lower left side.

A number of videos were posted on the video sharing site YouTube complaining about the reception issue.

Days later an email that puported to have been sent by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs did the rounds after one user contacted him to find out if there was a fix for the problem.

BoyGeniusReport.com, an Apple blog, printed the transcript in which Mr Jobs emailed back "you are getting all worked up over a few days of rumours. Calm down".

The authenticity of the exchange was never confirmed or denied by Apple but it lit a spark among critics and fans alike who marvelled at the tone.

"The arrogance of this email, true or not, escalated the problem for Apple when what they should have done was get out in front of the problem and said here is the deal," said technology analyst Rob Enderle of the Enderle Group.

On July 2, Apple issued a statement explaining that it was "surprised" by reports of reception problems and that an investigation found there was an error in the how the signals bars are displayed, rather than the signal itself.

The casing of Apple's latest phone is made of stainless steel and also serves as its antenna.

Tests carried out this week by Consumer Reports confirmed a problem with the iPhone 4's reception. In what was seen as a body blow to Apple, Consumer Reports said it could not recommend the phone to users.

Recall

In the last 48 hours the furore around the iPhone 4 antenna problem has snowballed.

There have been requests to have the phone recalled but that is seen as an very unlikely scenario given the damage that would cause to Apple's bottom line and its reputation.

"Apple is probably one of the most important brands of the last 50 years," said Olivier Blanchard, president of Brand Builder Marketing.

"They are rock stars in that sense and I believe that this fiasco with the iPhone 4 is an excuse to attack a company that is becoming such a giant. Five years ago when they were the underdog this would have been a non issue," Mr Blanchard told BBC News.

Analysts have estimated a recall could cost as much as $1.5bn (£1bn) whereas the cost of issuing free rubber bumpers to aleviate the problem would be far cheaper at nearly $180m (£118m).

Despite the negative headlines, a number of analysts have reported that consumers are not turned off.

"So far, in our supply chain and industry checks, we have not seen any change in build plans or demand patterns and thus we are not changing our estimates looking for 7.5m iPhones in the June quarter and 40m in C2010," said Shaw Wu of Kaufman Bros.

"In fact, our sources indicate that Apple is still having difficulty keeping up with strong demand due to screen supply constraints. Should this antenna issue become a bigger deal, there could be a risk to iPhone estimates."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10641910

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Iphone 4 now available online on 3.

£30 pm

500 mins

5000 texts

5000 3 to 3 mins

1GB internet.

£99 for the phone.

Quidco of £64 available effectively taking handset price down to £35.

Best amount of mins and texts and internet available at this monthly price.

24 month contract

Ahh, since this thread has popped up again can anyone give me some advice?

When you're trying to surf the net outdoors, has anyone been hijacked by a BT open-net zone before? No matter what URL I try and use I just get redirected to this, is there an easy way of bypassing it and hopefully telling them to fuck off in the process?

When you're trying to surf the net outdoors, has anyone been hijacked by a BT open-net zone before? No matter what URL I try and use I just get redirected to this, is there an easy way of bypassing it and hopefully telling them to fuck off in the process?

Happens to me quite often. For quickness I usually just go into settings and turn the wifi off, this then lets the phone just use the 3g networks.

I think theres also an option to ignore a particular wifi connection.

Mind I think BT openzone wifi is now free for o2 customers so im not sure why you would want to pass it by.

Happens to me quite often. For quickness I usually just go into settings and turn the wifi off, this then lets the phone just use the 3g networks.

I think theres also an option to ignore a particular wifi connection.

Mind I think BT openzone wifi is now free for o2 customers so im not sure why you would want to pass it by.

I thought it was asking me to register and tbh I just wanted a really quick answer to something. Didn't think to turn the wifi off though, cheers.

I managed to delete all my apps by synchronising it with my work computer instead of my home one (neede some stuff off my work pc). Ffs why does it let you do this so easily? I've reinstalled them using my home PC but all my data is gone - massive hassle.

I've always hated the concept of synchronisation, does android use this retarded method of file transfer? I think the iPhone might be my first and last Apple product. :unsure: