iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

I've got a Walkman for music. I mean as an interface in general. Can I use Windows and Explorer to navigate through Android. Does it support drag and drop? I thought it did.

You can download apps that have an old style windows explorer style to them with folder hierarchy to drill down to your items. That allows you to move stuff wherever you want them kept. That's what I thought I wanted when i first got mine....but I quickly got rid of it because you can drag and drop apps and shortcuts into and out of folders on your home screen no bother......so it doesn't matter where your phone actually chooses to store anything. How you organise it on your home screen is the key.

EDIT: so you can have a music folder on your homescreen, open that and have shortcuts to all the playlists on your phone. Select one...and it'll start playing.....if that's what you mean?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Renton are you asking if you plug your phone into your computer and drop files, music, etc onto it through windows explorer? If so, the answer is yes.

On the debate, if people are happy with the phone they have, then that is great, and I don't care to change their mind, but some of the ignorance from the iphone only crew is incredible. I get the impression that they've never used anything but an iphone, and are poorly informed about the alternatives available, and yet are happy to just spout on about how the iphone is best and nothing else can touch it.

I use my phone mostly for listening to podcasts and browsing the internet, and there is no solution on the iphone that comes close for either. If you are browsing on Safari and thinking that that's as good as it gets, you're deluded. As far as podcasts go, the app I use refreshes feeds regularly and downloads the latest episode whenever I connect to a wireless network. I've tried to do the same on my ios devices and they just don't work.

I've got an ipad (which I wouldn't be without), an ipod touch and an S2, so I'm not an apple hater, nor am I just spouting off about stuff I know nothing about.

I should add, I've also had an iphone in the past too.

Edited by Gemmill

You can download apps that have an old style windows explorer style to them with folder hierarchy to drill down to your items. That allows you to move stuff wherever you want them kept. That's what I thought I wanted when i first got mine....but I quickly got rid of it because you can drag and drop apps and shortcuts into and out of folders on your home screen no bother......so it doesn't matter where your phone actually chooses to store anything. How you organise it on your home screen is the key.

EDIT: so you can have a music folder on your homescreen, open that and have shortcuts to all the playlists on your phone. Select one...and it'll start playing.....if that's what you mean?

I've never got the point of playlists; I tend to listen to albums as intended. Anyway, point was you cant use an iPhone to do anything without iTunes; I'm hoping there's no proprietary equivalent on Android.

Renton are you asking if you plug your phone into your computer and drop files, music, etc onto it through windows explorer? If so, the answer is yes.

On the debate, if people are happy with the phone they have, then that is great, and I don't care to change their mind, but some of the ignorance from the iphone only crew is incredible. I get the impression that they've never used anything but an iphone, and are poorly informed about the alternatives available, and yet are happy to just spout on about how the iphone is best and nothing else can touch it.

I use my phone mostly for listening to podcasts and browsing the internet, and there is no solution on the iphone that comes close for either. If you are browsing on Safari and thinking that that's as good as it gets, you're deluded. As far as podcasts go, the app I use refreshes feeds regularly and downloads the latest episode whenever I connect to a wireless network. I've tried to do the same on my ios devices and they just don't work.

I've got an ipad (which I wouldn't be without), an ipod touch and an S2, so I'm not an apple hater, nor am I just spouting off about stuff I know nothing about.

I should add, I've also had an iphone in the past too.

Aye Gemmill, that's what I meant, cheers for clarifying.

I've never got the point of playlists; I tend to listen to albums as intended. Anyway, point was you cant use an iPhone to do anything without iTunes; I'm hoping there's no proprietary equivalent on Android.

Playlists are great!

Lots of times an album will have stuff on that you don't like. Why not just skip those tracks.

I also have (a relatively unused) gym playlist that includes various motivational upbeat tracks.

You can't shortcut to albums. Just takes one press to set an album up as a playlist though....and you can shortcut to that. I agree that rather than doing that, you might prefer to open the player and navigate to the album.

Where it's beneficial is you can have a "New Music" icon on your home screen and just play that, adding and removing albums with a single press as and when they've had enough rotation to satisfy you that you know it. Then you can choose wether to move it to your "Best of 2012" playlist or leave it out altogether, if it's worthy of return visits.

I stick with my ipods for music though because I haven't got an android player with smart playlists to match Itunes, and I've not got an 120GB phone.

Phone for podcasts though. As Gemmill says, followed his recommendation for DoggCatcher and it's great.

It does my napper in when I hear people moan about the latest version fo things saying stuff like "it's just a stretched out 4s". "It's just vista with some nice graphics". "Mountain Lion is just like Lion but with some updates". Fucking idiots!! That's the whole point of an upgrade. The same thing but improved. The "marginal improvements" for a marginal increase in price.

What the fuck do people expect from the next iphone? A built in swiss army knife and coffee machine?

If you really don't like the improvements, then don't buy the bastard! I will be getting one to upgrade from my 3g - wasn't a fool like so many others that thought.."ooh, I'll get the 3gs, now the 4, and now the 4s". It's the same for things like photoshop. How many people buy cs2, cs3, cs4, cs5, cs5.5, cs6? Most people skip a few versions - common sense.

As for the music malarkey...if that's your main goal in life, buy the device that suits your music needs but don't knock others that choose a different device to suit their different needs.

It does my napper in when I hear people moan about the latest version fo things saying stuff like "it's just a stretched out 4s". "It's just vista with some nice graphics". "Mountain Lion is just like Lion but with some updates". Fucking idiots!! That's the whole point of an upgrade. The same thing but improved. The "marginal improvements" for a marginal increase in price.

What the fuck do people expect from the next iphone? A built in swiss army knife and coffee machine?

If you really don't like the improvements, then don't buy the bastard! I will be getting one to upgrade from my 3g - wasn't a fool like so many others that thought.."ooh, I'll get the 3gs, now the 4, and now the 4s". It's the same for things like photoshop. How many people buy cs2, cs3, cs4, cs5, cs5.5, cs6? Most people skip a few versions - common sense.

As for the music malarkey...if that's your main goal in life, buy the device that suits your music needs but don't knock others that choose a different device to suit their different needs.

You're the one getting all Sweary Mary and agitated :lol:

We were just having a nice chat about the merits & pitfalls, to help inform our next upgrade.

are they any/many androids about with the metal/glass build? I do like my nexus S just fine but its really plasticy,

Got to admit I like the build quality of the iPhone but I use a cover anyway. There were rumours that the 5 was going to use a new alloy (liquid metal) but apparently not. HTC seems to be better build quality than Samsung iirc.

Got to admit I like the build quality of the iPhone but I use a cover anyway. There were rumours that the 5 was going to use a new alloy (liquid metal) but apparently not. HTC seems to be better build quality than Samsung iirc.

I hate covers, never had one that I stuck with.

never liked HTC either, the overlay stuff on the OS bugs me but Im too lazy to fuck about with it.

The new podcast app from Apple is superb Gemmill. You'd expect that from the company that gave the media segment it's actual name though :lol:

It's only taken them 5 years to produce an app that can cope with the concept that they created. . :lol: Which app is that then?