iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

In France with SFR the iPhone 5 is cheaper to buy without a contract than the S3. However its 100 euros more for me to upgrade to the 5 than the s3 but the 5 has a better contract offer at the top end with better data and roaming packages. The pricing models all depend on what you currently have, contract, time since upgrade etc.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll field this one. Its astonishingly bad. I've got it on my iPad. Someone on NO described it best when they said it looked like a 5 year old beta version of Google Maps. And I wanted it to be good btw.

I cannot believe they've allowed it to go live in its current form.

Apparently google have submitted a version of google maps to the app store. Apple have yet to provide approval.

I'll field this one. Its astonishingly bad. I've got it on my iPad. Someone on NO described it best when they said it looked like a 5 year old beta version of Google Maps. And I wanted it to be good btw.

I cannot believe they've allowed it to go live in its current form.

Apparently google have submitted a version of google maps to the app store. Apple have yet to provide approval.

I suppose you can still get it via Safari. A nice summary of Apple's arrogance though.

I was due an upgrade on 4th September, but waited, and managed to preorder a iPhone 5, and received it today, Although O2s customer support online is shite, and they haven't a clue what they are talking about.

Alot of people who pre ordered after 8.30pm on Sept 14th wouldn't of actually secured a pre order for release day, and o2 stated that to them, even with people who pre ordered yesterday, they were still thinking they'd receive it today, even though they were told by O2 and even Apple said there will be a 2 week wait after the 1st bath of phones.

Went to a rural village in Normandy for a wedding 2 weeks ago, the maps app on ios5 got us to the wedding and hotel no probs. We went to St Leu Le Foret last weekend and again accurate and fast. Couldn't understand how I lost the data connection but the app kept working. When something works perfectly like that, not arsed what the updated app does. I won't upgrade for a couple of months anyway, always better to wait until the early probs are ironed out. The content of my recent posts in this thread are about Apple the company and it's business model, whether the S3 is better than the 5 is irrelevant to me. The fact that Apple have put their own maps app onto the new OS just validates my view that the war games are between apple and google not Samsung.

Er yeah, but isn't the point that the Maps app on iOS 5 (the one that works) is Google Maps, and the one on iOS6 (the one that is a complete clusterfuck) is Apple Maps? If you want to get to these rural villages in the future, get yourself an S3 or an Ordnance Survey map. :razz:

Ah we'll if it works ok for you then that's fine. Somebody let the lads at Apple know they can have their weekends back. :razz:

Seems the anti-apple brigade are far more bothered about the app being unable to pick get a live stream of Bumfuck Idaho. Seems to me if the basics work (Get me from A-B ) then it's not really the catastrophe that it's being made out to be...

fwiw, I couldn't give a toss if I own an apple or a Samsung or whatever, but I've not yet seen a device that's made me want to switch from the iPhone and given the difference between the devices is so small these days, I can't imagine why people get so worked up about it?

Edited by The Fish

I'm not trying to convince you to get an Android. I'm just telling you that the new Maps app on iOS is a huge downgrade from the old one. And the fact is that it ISN'T getting everyone from A to B - it's particularly poor in Japan apparently, where it seems more lost than your average tourist.

Given that the beauty of Apple is supposed to be that "it just works", I think you can forgive people for taking the piss when it doesn't.

Seems the anti-apple brigade are far more bothered about the app being unable to pick get a live stream of Bumfuck Idaho. Seems to me if the basics work (Get me from A-B ) then it's not really the catastrophe that it's being made out to be...

fwiw, I couldn't give a toss if I own an apple or a Samsung or whatever, but I've not yet seen a device that's made me want to switch from the iPhone and given the difference between the devices is so small these days, I can't imagine why people get so worked up about it?

Given you view the differerence as so small....why pay 600 for the 32gb iPhone 5 when I just bought a 32gb one x for my bro for 380?

Bizarre people can see there is no great advantage....but willingly pay the extra 60% for that picture of a half chewed apple in the side..

As chez says, its the brand, not the product he buys into.

I don't do brand loyalty, or I'd still be using amstrad.

Free upgrade to the 4s, and I'll no doubt get a free upgrade to the 5(s) when this contract is up. It's never broken beyond needing a reset, everything "just works", so why would I change?

But my point isn't whether or not A is better than B. It's the glee that non-apple users get from pointing out its faults.

It's the same with people who own playstations. They spend most of their time pointing out Xbox's faults.

It's weird is all.