iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

It's a financial fact of life, developers are all on record saying that due to the better returns their apps are developed and optimised for iOS first. There may be a small delay in some cases or up to 2 years was was the case with the BBC iplayer.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a financial fact of life, developers are all on record saying that due to the better returns their apps are developed and optimised for iOS first. There may be a small delay in some cases or up to 2 years was was the case with the BBC iplayer.

Maybe, but I've never felt it to be an issue in practice and I definitely dispute J69's assertion that the apps are of inferior quality on jelly bean. In fact, many apps benefit from the better screens of the top end androids.

Another fact is that the iPhone 5 does not rank in the top 5 of most desirable handsets in most review guides. Lets face it, Apple has not made many advances in the market for a long time now. I wonder if the closed universal nature of iOS is holding it back. Will iOS have to fragment to survive or will the iPhone 10 run the same software as the 3gs?

Any app that you'd actually want to have is available on both in my experience. And generally they run quicker on my phone than they do on my lass 's iPhone.

It's funny though cos J69 was the most rabid pro-Android poster on here a year ago. Then he found a good deal on an iPhone and has had nowt decent to say about Android since. :razz:

Those rankings are compiled by people looking at specs. Specs which have been shown to be completely false.

Those reviews don't take account of app diversity, quality or stability. Nor do they take account of the integrality of the device with the rest of the of your media and computing.

Depending on what you read, those reviews are never independent. You access all reviews through google search, a company known to manipulate search for its own profit.

Those rankings are compiled by people looking at specs. Specs which have been shown to be completely false.

Those reviews don't take account of app diversity, quality or stability. Nor do they take account of the integrality of the device with the rest of the of your media and computing.

Depending on what you read, those reviews are never independent. You access all reviews through google search, a company known to manipulate search for its own profit.

Bollocks. I'm talking about reviews based on usability, no one gives a shit about specs. And I'm talking of reviews from groups such as Stuff magazine, T3, techradar, gadget show etc. Apple used to reign supreme in these reviews but has now simply been overtaken. They haven't been got at by Google ffs! :lol:

I've got the previous incarnation, the One X, and love it. Far better than my old iPhone 4s in every way. The One looks lush though, one if the highest specced phones out there and easily the best build. Is there a 64 gig version?

It looks lush because of the specs yet its bollocks that reviews are based on specs? Specs play a massive role in reviews which is why it was a scandal about the Samsung code called 'benchmark booster' because reviewers deploy benchmark apps when assessing new models. Don't say bollocks to someone who clearly knows more about the subject.

It looks lush because of the specs yet its bollocks that reviews are based on specs? Specs play a massive role in reviews which is why it was a scandal about the Samsung code called 'benchmark booster' because reviewers deploy benchmark apps when assessing new models. Don't say bollocks to someone who clearly knows more about the subject.

:lol: No, I meant the HTC One looks lush because of its appearance.

I'm not and never have been interested in specs and benchmarks, and they've not been the focus of the reviews I've read. I'm interested in what the phone looks like and what it can do. It's my belief even my One X trumps the iPhone 5 in this regard and the One shits all over it. Most reviewers seem to agree.

What makes you an expert anyway? I've had at least 15 different hand set models including two iPhones, so I know my mind ta. :D

Any app that you'd actually want to have is available on both in my experience. And generally they run quicker on my phone than they do on my lass 's iPhone.

It's funny though cos J69 was the most rabid pro-Android poster on here a year ago. Then he found a good deal on an iPhone and has had nowt decent to say about Android since. :razz:

Does that not tell you something :lol:

I hate everything about Apple. Still the best phone I've had

The thing that's always annoyed me is how restrictive they make it for apps that can play music. Everything has to be ipod related. You can't install third party music stuff and have that benefit from all the functionality that is afforded to the ipod.

the iPhone is great and it wins out on a lot of features (design or otherwise) i'm still pretty much pro iPhone for the vast amount of features, but there's some things which i've always argued was too restricted when it comes to the iPhone.

simple things like changing certain elements of the ui or sound schemes, they argue that it's because the more locked down it is the less problems that can occur, and in a sense they're right but not for things like that, for those things it's pure marketibility and product recognition.

Anyone watching recent us tv shows will have picked up when a charactors phone rings...the majority of the time it's the itunes "alarm" sound going off on the phone rather than a ring tone, same with email sent/text recieved, they don't want you changing this shit to homer simpson going "ooo the mail is here!" , they want it going off and someone realising it's an iPhone.

i should be able to change that shit if i want to, and the word of mouth of me saying how great the product is should be enough for apple, but it isn't.

with jailbreaking i can change it anyway, i can install my custom lockscreens and whatnot, but with new devices and updates this gets less frequent and harder to do which is why i'm jumping ship.

Aye, there's that and all of that shit is intensely irritating. But there's also the fact the top end Android phones just really are better than iPhones nowadays. Its not even up for discussion tbh. You'll find out soon enough if you take ownership of an HTC One.

Bollocks seems to be the hardest word.

Chez on the ropes bigtime here.

He talks about 'amazing specs' in one post then says he's not interested in the next. He claims reviewers don't discuss specs when benchmark apps are designed to test the specs which is what the reviews are based on. He then claims he's had 15 phones in the smartphone era this revealing how shit his consumer choices must be. So I gave up and did something more interesting.

He talks about 'amazing specs' in one post then says he's not interested in the next. He claims reviewers don't discuss specs when benchmark apps are designed to test the specs which is what the reviews are based on. He then claims he's had 15 phones in the smartphone era this revealing how shit his consumer choices must be. So I gave up and did something more interesting.

Read back, I never talked about specs, I talked about aesthetics and usability. The reviews I'm referring to hardly mention specs or benchmarks, cos I'm not talking about geeky websites, but mainstream consumer magazines and TV programs. I've had 15 handsets in total, only 3 smartphones, 2 of which were iphones.

Honestly, some Apple users are just weirdly evangelical in their zeal to defend their technological brand of choice, you are by no means the only one I know like this. My old boss was, as is Mrs Rent's colleague. Why?

Read back, I never talked about specs, I talked about aesthetics and usability. The reviews I'm referring to hardly mention specs or benchmarks, cos I'm not talking about geeky websites, but mainstream consumer magazines and TV programs. I've had 15 handsets in total, only 3 smartphones, 2 of which were iphones.

Honestly, some Apple users are just weirdly evangelical in their zeal to defend their technological brand of choice, you are by no means the only one I know like this. My old boss was, as is Mrs Rent's colleague. Why?

I've not really mentioned Apple apart from the app infrastructure, I wanted to make a point about spec fetishes because Samsung have been gaming the system.

Anyway, I'm thinking about changing my personal phone because work are switching me from Blackberry to iPhone when the next one comes out. So I might get a HTC next time :lol:

Gonna get the new one when it comes out, phone contracts up and I hate using androids (please don't hurt me, android fans don't half love telling me how superior their phones are whilst acting like I'm the fanboy, I don't know why but I'm not the only one whose noticed it.). Either that or a windows but there's none that are catching the eye right now.