Been kicked out of university

Andrew

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always feels bad when your getting kicked out.

I got kicked out Newcastle College for fuck all tbh, and on this course am on atm, I passed the first year with good marks, this year tho the teachers are getting on me nervous. I have been of on Monday this week and been sent home twice since Tuesday, got a bad feeling about tomorrow too.

Join the Armed Forces dude, thats what I am doing anyways :lol:

civil engineering, they were cunts when I was applying too proper up themselves, I got an offer for automotive engin from manchester met last year, gunna email them and see if I can reapply with them

havent told my parents yet

You have only one fail and they're kicking you off an engineering course?

That doesn't sound right at all - the government pay a subsiduary to Universities for all engineering students on the grounds that they want to encourage the education of what it considers a dying trade. Given that, Universities will do whatever they can to ensure the numbers remain on the engineering courses.

To give an example. We had one lass on our course - turned up to one lecture in about every 20. Submitted coursework late turned up for exams but left after the minimum time needed but still she progressed on at the end of each year on the grounds of her financial value to the uni. She only ended up with a pass at the end of the 3 years rather than an honours degree like but still.....

Where were you studying?

You have only one fail and they're kicking you off an engineering course?

That doesn't sound right at all - the government pay a subsiduary to Universities for all engineering students on the grounds that they want to encourage the education of what it considers a dying trade. Given that, Universities will do whatever they can to ensure the numbers remain on the engineering courses.

To give an example. We had one lass on our course - turned up to one lecture in about every 20. Submitted coursework late turned up for exams but left after the minimum time needed but still she progressed on at the end of each year on the grounds of her financial value to the uni. She only ended up with a pass at the end of the 3 years rather than an honours degree like but still.....

Where were you studying?

University of Manchester

2nd in the country behind imperial, suppose they can afford to be picky

fuck thats a bit odd they can boot you for 1 fail

was your attendance bas or something as well?

no my attendance was fine, my result for the fail was shocking tbh I'd struggled with it all semester but its never coming up again in the course, proper one off job

i just think its balls that i cant resit the exam frankly especially a jan exam not like there is any lack of time this semester to do it in

That doesn't sound right at all marra.

First of all i'd tell your parents the longer you hide it the worse it'll be and the dodgier it will look when they do find out. Tell them what you've told us and I imagine they'd back you up.

Secondly, try and meet with the Dean and/or head of department. One fail is no reason to be kicked out of any university.

If all those fail come to Mackem Poly, the university where you can't leave even if you want to :lol:

Was your course oversubscribed? Because that happened while i was at Uni, they were essentially looking for any reason in first and second year to get rid of people to get the numbers down to a level they could cope with.

Having said that there you are allowed to resit exams at Uni of Manchester at least once, the full details should be in the student handbook you get at the start of each year from your faculty. It should detail what happens if you fail an exam. The ones i got did.

civil engineering, they were cunts when I was applying too proper up themselves, I got an offer for automotive engin from manchester met last year, gunna email them and see if I can reapply with them

havent told my parents yet

Get yersel down to South Tynside. :lol:

Fucking hell Andrew, that sounds well harsh. Is there no appeal process or whatever?

Much like there is with employment, there has to be an appeals process.

Expulsion for one fail (particularly as the remaining results are 'firsts') is not only harsh, it's wrong....

Get appealing lad.

I failed to get a degree - basically I was too immature to cope with university and instead of getting help or changing anything I just kept going until it was too late.

It doesn't have to be the end of the world - as long as you still have a brain you''ll be okay - I am now.

well my parents will find out today, im going home, wanted to tell them face to face, I am praying they'll see the injustice in this instead of just going into meltdown at me but I'm not putting any money on it

it was the course director who informed me, I've met her a few times this year (all for positive stuff, i think i was her favourite or something) and she kept apologising saying its not her choice its the board or i'd be staying etc

so I'll report back assuming I'm capable of typing and I'm not locked up somewhere or on the streets :lol:

1 fail and 5 first class exam results apparently don't warrant my place on this course

I am having a very bad day

I'd seriously look into avenues of appeal and visit your student union rep, that sounds incredibly dodgy indeed.

Get on to the University and ask what the Appeal Procedures are NOW

Mind if you've been struggling all year and its a course you really need you might ask yourself if it's just putting off the inevitable and look around for sommat that uses the other parts of the course and not your problem area

I started a post doc course in Signal processing and after 2 weeks threw my hand in and moved on - I was just about keeping my head above water and it clearly wasn't going to get any easier with 38 weeks to go

Mind if you've been struggling all year and its a course you really need you might ask yourself if it's just putting off the inevitable and look around for sommat that uses the other parts of the course and not your problem area

I started a post doc course in Signal processing and after 2 weeks threw my hand in and moved on - I was just about keeping my head above water and it clearly wasn't going to get any easier with 38 weeks to go

Christ man Rob, not everything's about you you know :lol:

You forgot to mention your usual back when having a degree actually counted for something.

What is sad in this chap (it would seem), as if you haven't got enough on your plate with being kicked out of Uni, is telling your folks. In this case though I'd be amazed if your parents gave you a hard time.......but lots of young university folks carry this weigh of expectation that parents knowingly or unknowingly plave upon their kids shoulders. If you parents, whose SUPPORT, you need right now, just go off on one, well fck 'em chap. You really do have enough on your plate.

Good luck with it all......let us know how you get on....