NUSC Suggestion Thread

Christmas Tree

While there are many forums and threads discussing NUSC, can we create this one to allow for positive suggestions and ideas that may help the Supporters Club develop over the coming months years.

Forums have all sorts of people from all sorts of backgrounds and on this forum, we all have the interest of Newcastle united at heart. That should lead to a wealth off suggestions over the years that may or may not be taken onboard by the committee of NUSC.

Some suggestions will be whacky, some too ambitious and some just unfeasable, however the odd gem of inspiration may come through that assists the current band of volunteers in moving things forward.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PR PR PR PR PR PR and more PR

So far all the PR about NUSC is with regard to the protests. Unfortunately this has split fans and some see NUSC as a one issue group. While this may have been the catalyst in its formation, there is also a desire that it will develop into a fantastic supporters club.

An ongoing PR campaign needs to be started that focuses on the brand building of NUSC.

How its helping Fans

How its working with the club on issues

Etc

Papers love PR (Free journalism) and with the right contacts it is possible to run good stories regularly. NUSC has over 1000 members and there will be a wealth of Newcastle related stories that can be mixed in with NUSC to create good PR.

There are also some very good PR agencies based in Newcastle that have owners that are Newcastle fans. I am sure some of these would be only too happy to help out.

Premises

As Ive mentioned elsewhere, I think having a base for the supporters club similar to the Arsenal "model" would be a big plus. I appreciate prices etc etc, but again a canny little PR story in the local rags about NUSC trying to find premises close to the ground might un-earth offers from wealthy benfactors. Maybe rent free for a couple of years, who knows.

afsc_3.jpg

dsc00009.jpg

http://www.arsenalsupportersclub.co.uk/ima...rs_club_bar.jpg

Edited by Christmas Tree

well Ive now read the Arsenal site you talked about and I have to say that Im underwhelmed to say the least.

Yes they have a bar but thats all they have, theres no mention on their site of anything else, I cant see any work being put into the local community, any dialogue between the SC and FC or other things. A supporters club is for the fans, for the FC, for the community, for everything that is right with the FC and against everything that is wrong. Currently theres too much of the "everything thats wrong" and not enough to shout about with NUFC, thats why we appear to be one sided. The Arsenal model that you keep referring me to though CT doesnt appear to have any substance.

This getting of premises would be a thousand steps too far and ahead of ourselves, we have 5 Newcastle publicans that I know of who are members and have offered us the use of their premises when needed. It wouldnt be too difficult to take one of them up on their offer and get a deal going on matchdays where we get use of a room for members only. Thats all it needs, at least at the moment. I dont (personally) however feel that the time is right, subsidised beer and crisps are down on the list of priorities and I think that at the minute it would cause even further seperation between those that are in the SC and those that arent.

I do agree fully however that PR is the way forward, thats why we now have (6 months too late if you ask me) a PR expert on the committee, someone who can advise on how best to put things out, when and where to put them and subtle changes to the way in which we do things. Matbe subtle is too small a word at times but its not taking a lot to change things round.

well Ive now read the Arsenal site you talked about and I have to say that Im underwhelmed to say the least.

Yes they have a bar but thats all they have, theres no mention on their site of anything else, I cant see any work being put into the local community, any dialogue between the SC and FC or other things. A supporters club is for the fans, for the FC, for the community, for everything that is right with the FC and against everything that is wrong. Currently theres too much of the "everything thats wrong" and not enough to shout about with NUFC, thats why we appear to be one sided. The Arsenal model that you keep referring me to though CT doesnt appear to have any substance.

This getting of premises would be a thousand steps too far and ahead of ourselves, we have 5 Newcastle publicans that I know of who are members and have offered us the use of their premises when needed. It wouldnt be too difficult to take one of them up on their offer and get a deal going on matchdays where we get use of a room for members only. Thats all it needs, at least at the moment. I dont (personally) however feel that the time is right, subsidised beer and crisps are down on the list of priorities and I think that at the minute it would cause even further seperation between those that are in the SC and those that arent.

I do agree fully however that PR is the way forward, thats why we now have (6 months too late if you ask me) a PR expert on the committee, someone who can advise on how best to put things out, when and where to put them and subtle changes to the way in which we do things. Matbe subtle is too small a word at times but its not taking a lot to change things round.

:icon_lol:

I am a fairly new card carrying member, and for the most part I agree with the motivation and direction of the NUSC to date, and I certainly appreciate the effort that many of you have put in to get something tangible like this up and running when most of us are content to sit and whinge down the pub or on internet message boards. However I have to agree with a lot of what Christmas Tree has said in this thread and the supporter's panel thread. Whatever the feelings and views of the NUSC committee are, if they want to come over as a credible voice for the supporters of NUFC, they HAVE to learn to be more diplomatic than they currently are being, certainly in the official output they produce if not in private. How the latest email regarding the supporter's meeting has been received is an excellent example of why that is so. It has obviously been posted on most NUFC forums, and there is much in there to discuss regarding the club, however nearly all of the discussion which has occurred is not about how the club is being run, but about how NUSC is being run. By issuing a comment and opinion filled account of the meeting, NUSC has made itself the topic of discussion rather than the club. People do not appreciate being so blatantly told what to think. Most would have reached the same conclusions as the author of the email without any commentary, the only purpose it serves is to give a legitimate argument to those who say that NUSC are being antagonistic towards the club and cannot expect to be shown any respect or achieve any compromises with such an adversarial approach. To gain the support of the more moderate supporter NUSC have to take (and be seen to take) the moral high ground.

I know that if the tone is turned down there will be those who are not happy and will argue that NUSC is going soft and letting the club off easy. These people will also probably be the loudest and most vocal, but I am willing to bet they are not the most numerous.

I'm pretty disappointed that I'm having to post this here tbh. There seems to be no way for members to put forward their views other than to turn up to the open meetings. The contacts page on the website doesn't even have an email address for comments, let alone a forum where issues could be discussed. As far as I am aware there has been no canvassing of opinion from it's membership or from supporters in general other than trying to gauge the general feeling from the questions and opinions raised at these open meetings. Have there been any votes on any subjects? If so I'm not aware of them.

IMO the interaction NUSC has with it's members is just as important for the future of NUSC - if not more so - than any action or interaction it has against/with the club's owner or management. If the initial support NUSC has gained - which is mostly down to the current dire straits at the club - is not quickly harnessed, that will soon fade to apathy, and the opportunity will be lost.

You may complain that the SC is in it's infancy, that these things cannot be set up overnight, that the committee are just amateurs giving up their time freely, etc, but while these are legitimate arguments, they are easy sticks to beat NUSC with for it's detractors, and can't be denied. Until these things are sorted out many supporters who would be happy to join a supporters club will be put off doing so.

First of all, I thought it was impossible for peter Beardsley to look any uglier. Fuck me quazzi.

I think your post is excellent and there are a lot of supporters who feel the same. I also fear that the chance to create a great supporters club could be lost. I have read on other forums comments from many fans who detest the regime but cant seem to gel with NUSC.

However....

I think the appointment of a very good PR man should improve this weeks own goal.

Peaspud has advised that a new web site is being created that will include a section for members.

The likes of you and me and others should really turn up to one of these meetings and at least try to get our views across.

The truth may be that the original "Hardcore" are unable or unmotivated to change from the hard line protest into a genuine supporters club and only time will tell.

Personally my first ever post on here was arguing with Peaspud about NUSC and while still always on the defensive, I think he's adjusted his stance somewhat.

Anyway, again great post

I am a fairly new card carrying member, and for the most part I agree with the motivation and direction of the NUSC to date, and I certainly appreciate the effort that many of you have put in to get something tangible like this up and running when most of us are content to sit and whinge down the pub or on internet message boards. However I have to agree with a lot of what Christmas Tree has said in this thread and the supporter's panel thread. Whatever the feelings and views of the NUSC committee are, if they want to come over as a credible voice for the supporters of NUFC, they HAVE to learn to be more diplomatic than they currently are being, certainly in the official output they produce if not in private. How the latest email regarding the supporter's meeting has been received is an excellent example of why that is so. It has obviously been posted on most NUFC forums, and there is much in there to discuss regarding the club, however nearly all of the discussion which has occurred is not about how the club is being run, but about how NUSC is being run. By issuing a comment and opinion filled account of the meeting, NUSC has made itself the topic of discussion rather than the club. People do not appreciate being so blatantly told what to think. Most would have reached the same conclusions as the author of the email without any commentary, the only purpose it serves is to give a legitimate argument to those who say that NUSC are being antagonistic towards the club and cannot expect to be shown any respect or achieve any compromises with such an adversarial approach. To gain the support of the more moderate supporter NUSC have to take (and be seen to take) the moral high ground.

I know that if the tone is turned down there will be those who are not happy and will argue that NUSC is going soft and letting the club off easy. These people will also probably be the loudest and most vocal, but I am willing to bet they are not the most numerous.

I'm pretty disappointed that I'm having to post this here tbh. There seems to be no way for members to put forward their views other than to turn up to the open meetings. The contacts page on the website doesn't even have an email address for comments, let alone a forum where issues could be discussed. As far as I am aware there has been no canvassing of opinion from it's membership or from supporters in general other than trying to gauge the general feeling from the questions and opinions raised at these open meetings. Have there been any votes on any subjects? If so I'm not aware of them.

IMO the interaction NUSC has with it's members is just as important for the future of NUSC - if not more so - than any action or interaction it has against/with the club's owner or management. If the initial support NUSC has gained - which is mostly down to the current dire straits at the club - is not quickly harnessed, that will soon fade to apathy, and the opportunity will be lost.

You may complain that the SC is in it's infancy, that these things cannot be set up overnight, that the committee are just amateurs giving up their time freely, etc, but while these are legitimate arguments, they are easy sticks to beat NUSC with for it's detractors, and can't be denied. Until these things are sorted out many supporters who would be happy to join a supporters club will be put off doing so.

Great post that. I think re: the recent email in particular, there was no need for the running commentary and it has been counter-productive because people are discussing that and it's actually taken the heat off the stuff Llambias said and so on.

Any meetings should have minutes produced without comment from the NUSC and these should be placed on the website so that people can forge their own opinions. The minutes should be completely unbiased and literally just have the question and the answer on there. If the NUSC want to state their opinion on what happened, that should be on a seperate "opinion" peice.

Edited by Andrew Flintoff

I'll address the bold bit first before the general stuff, there are email addresses on there where you can send stuff to but I agree theres nothing specific I'll take a look at it. Regarding the lack of consultation with members we have been going out and asking questions and will be doing a lot more soon. There will also (when I get my finger out me arse :icon_lol: ) be a members area where all of these things will be addressed.

I agree with a lot you have to say and I know most if not all of the current committee feel the same. I also am aware that the above statements of infancy, amateurs etc do seem like excuses but they are the simple fact of things, we learn from our mistakes that much is true.

I'm pretty disappointed that I'm having to post this here tbh. There seems to be no way for members to put forward their views other than to turn up to the open meetings. The contacts page on the website doesn't even have an email address for comments, let alone a forum where issues could be discussed.

Your post is practical help if you ask me, as such I'd just send it to help@newcastle-united-supporters-club.co.uk

I don't know what I'm more shocked at tbh. The fact that NUSC wasn't perfect right from the word 'go', or the people who have got off by absolutely slagging the organisation from the minute it was formed.

If only Derek Llambias and Mike Ashley were as open and responsive to constructive criticism as PP and Mal Shields.

If Del Boy came out and said something similar to what PP just has, his personal PR battle might start turning around.

I don't know what I'm more shocked at tbh. The fact that NUSC wasn't perfect right from the word 'go', or the people who have got off by absolutely slagging the organisation from the minute it was formed.

Have read some of the ego battles elsewhere and hope it is a bit more constructive over here.

I also hope Peaspud takes a lot of this in the spirit it is meant and realises it is a good way for NUSC and its members / potential members to communicate whilst awaiting the relevant forum.

Hopefully at least in this thread it can be constructive AND informative each way and from all sides.

Have read some of the ego battles elsewhere and hope it is a bit more constructive over here.

I also hope Peaspud takes a lot of this in the spirit it is meant and realises it is a good way for NUSC and its members / potential members to communicate whilst awaiting the relevant forum.

Hopefully at least in this thread it can be constructive AND informative each way and from all sides.

I always do to be honest although like anyone else I am human and sometimes when you spend days on end working away on something only to have people slag it off then it does become personal, thats something that I personally need to address so apologies if sometimes things come across the wrong way

wanker :icon_lol:

:icon_lol:

Seriously though, we are always looking for constructive criticism and helpful ideas its just that no matter what is done and how its done theres always some looking to rip it apart, thats the bit I feel is sad, that some Newcastle fans are looking for the supporters club to fail and doing whatever they can to help that happen.

Newcastle Online for example, seems more arsed about NUSC than about the state of affairs within the club. :icon_lol:

Edited by alex

Newcastle Online for example, seems more arsed about NUSC than about the state of affairs within the club. :icon_lol:

It's a total joke on there the minute NUSC is mentioned.

Personally, I'm not a member of NUSC.. (yet). With these things I prefer to wait and see how it all pans out, and I may join once it's a bit more established, but from a distance I'm a lot more impressed with what I've seen recently than what I saw months ago.

Any meetings should have minutes produced without comment from the NUSC and these should be placed on the website so that people can forge their own opinions. The minutes should be completely unbiased and literally just have the question and the answer on there. If the NUSC want to state their opinion on what happened, that should be on a seperate "opinion" peice.

Agreed. I've just read Lee Ryder's blog on the subject, and the way the Journal and Chronicle have separated their actual reporting of the meeting from the comment or editorial piece that is in the blog is something they should take note of. From the email it's hard to argue with what he has to say about the attitude of NUSC at the meeting, even though the comments from Teasdale in the Journal report came across well. Whilst the press shouldn't be above criticism from NUSC, deliberately antagonising them and getting their backs up by implying they are in the club's back pocket when they have previously shown support for NUSC is doing noone any favours.

Mind you

An as far as invited journalists nodding in agreement with Llambias, I use this Blog as my right to reply.

And I can state this is again another inaccurate statement that holds no substance simply malicious lies, which poses the question do NUSC know that one member is publishing libelous material that isn't getting them anywhere?

malicious lies & libelous (sic) material :icon_lol: Even so called professionals can't help themselves sometimes.

I agree with a lot you have to say and I know most if not all of the current committee feel the same.

You say that, but the email was a big own goal, I certainly hope it doesn't go up on the website in it's current form.

I agree with most of the posts in this thread (barring the 'buying a pub' idea). I spend my time rigorously defending NUSC elsewhere *cough* N-O *cough* and those who have stumbled across my arguments with certain posters will probably think i'm a happy clappy NUSC loving chappy, which isn't strictly true. There are a lot of creases which I think need ironing out most of which have been mentioned in this thread but there are some people who will use any stick, no matter how small, to beat NUSC. That's what really fucks me off.

I got my membercard and keyring today. I am (sort of) proud to be number No. 861.

I have to say that I am a tad bit disappointed with what I got though. I am not too happy with the logo "Striving for a positive change". While it might be correct for the moment it is not not the slogan for a supporters club, but really more for a protest group. There are obviously loads of people not really agreeing to the original agenda of the NUSC. So why promoting it in this kind of way. Anyway, I thought a supporters club should be "above" of a club's success. What strive of change will be here if Ashley & Co. see light or pack it in? I think the current public appeacance of the NUSC is still really ill advised and loads of mistages are done.

I really would offer my help, not only for foreign branches but also for at least having a bit of common sense and not just dropping one clanger after the next ...

I got my membercard and keyring today. I am (sort of) proud to be number No. 861.

I have to say that I am a tad bit disappointed with what I got though. I am not too happy with the logo "Striving for a positive change". While it might be correct for the moment it is not not the slogan for a supporters club, but really more for a protest group. There are obviously loads of people not really agreeing to the original agenda of the NUSC. So why promoting it in this kind of way. Anyway, I thought a supporters club should be "above" of a club's success. What strive of change will be here if Ashley & Co. see light or pack it in? I think the current public appeacance of the NUSC is still really ill advised and loads of mistages are done.

I really would offer my help, not only for foreign branches but also for at least having a bit of common sense and not just dropping one clanger after the next ...

would be interested to hear from people exactly what they think the role of an independent supporters club should be and would like to refer those unsure of what other supporters clubs are about to check out a few, like:

http://www.imusa.org

http://www.chairboys.ndirect.co.uk

http://www.dorchestertownsupportersclub.co.uk

see whether NUSC differs in any way from the fundamentals

the clubs quoted above cover a wide range- top of the premiership; top three division 2 and conference south.

they seem to have the same passion, the same aims and charge a membership fee; they are prepared to speak out when the football club need brought to book on something, yet deep down their intentions are all wrapped in supporting their football club on the pitch, week in week out;

with support NUSC has every possibility of matching and emulating clubs like these. we just need to get over this problem we all have of mistrust on all levels, disharmony with each other, the football club and its owner and executives, NUSC and its perception as a force for bad / good. I am sure we are all fearful of our current position and the prospect of being dislodged from our place in the premiership.

if we talk, give positive feedback to NUSC and work together i am certain NUSC can be a success. it is caught in the firestorm of disharmony eminating from all quarters at present concerning NUFC. Newcastle supporters, United can and will play an active part in the direction our football club takes. If we stick together and behind the banner of a supporters club this is entirely possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Most wouldnt make such a public stance against the club. Sadly, NUSC at the moment is perceived to be against the club, though I know of course thats not the long term aim. Mind, the club is as much to blame for that.