World Cup bids for 2018 and 2022

dbsweeney

"Some of the FIFA employees were left in tears as Blatter resigned"

I'll bet they were! That's their backhanders out the window. I reckon he's been told something is being published tomorrow that leaves him drowning in shit and he had no alternative. Absolutely farcical.

Wonderful news and he's a kraut cunt in my eyes. In the same way Sid The Sexist sings 4-2, 4-2, 4-2 to the Swiss holiday makers, I am to Sepp now. Hope he dies in jail.

Sid the Sexist, what every real Geordie should aspire to.

Funnily enough I saw him on the Metro last week. Still has his weekly black eye too.

DB32jZh.jpg

You just have to read his full resignation speech, it's beyond ludicrous. He's off, but now that he's resigning that apparently means he can now proceed post haste with all the reforms of FIFA that he was supposedly being prevented from doing by 'others' when he was still El Presidente. All of this will be completed by the time of the next election. It's fucking bonkers stuff.

For anyone who wants the non-European perspective on all this FIFA nonsense from football correspondents based in all the continents, I recommend 5 Lives's world football program (Fridays, 2am-4am). Normally a fan phone in to talk mundane shit, this FIFA scandal has put it into over-drive, completely sidelining the fan phone in part and just becoming one giant newsnight type affair.

Qatar: 'Not a single worker's life has been lost'

The state-run Qatar News Agency has published a denial by the Government Communication Office of claims surrounding the deaths of migrant workers working on World Cup sites. (Read the Guardian’s investigation into these deaths here and here.)

The Qatari rebuttal tackles a blog published by the Washington Post, which said 1,200 migrant workers are estimated to have died during the construction of World Cup sites, and a further 4,000 could die by 2022:

This is completely untrue. In fact, after almost five million work-hours on World Cup construction sites, not a single worker’s life has been lost. Not one …

Qatar has more than a million migrant workers. The Global Burden of Disease study, published in the Lancet in 2012, states that more than 400 deaths might be expected annually from cardiovascular disease alone among Qatar’s migrant population, even had they remained in their home countries.

It is unfortunate that any worker should die overseas, but it is wrong to distort statistics to suggest, as the Post’s article did, that all deaths in such a large population are the result of workplace conditions.

The Post’s article was accompanied by a dramatic graphic, which purports to compare the imagined fatalities in Qatar with the number of lives lost in the construction of other international sports venues, including the London Olympics, where just one worker was reported to have died.

A more accurate comparison according to the Post’s analysis would have also suggested that every migrant worker in the United Kingdom who died between 2005 and 2012 – whatever the job and whatever the cause of death – was killed in the construction of the 2012 London Olympics.

This is the graphic in question:

— BBC Outside Source (@BBCOS)

Shocking graphic from
: the human cost of
corruption

Qatar’s Government Communication Office says it is demanding an immediate retraction of the article.

Taken from the guardian liveblog in Blatter going.

The FA thought Blatter and his cronies were canny people though when they were bidding for the World Cup not that long ago.Baldy Prince William gave our bid the royal approval.Nowt underhand was there when the England team went to Trinidad for the benefit of Jack Warner's vote.

No, there wasn't.

Pretty standard public campaigning, unless you're suggesting the team used Jack Wilshere as a drug mule

FIFA handing over millions to certain International FA's to build a plastic pitch or two.Aye nowt underhand there i suppose.Both the USA and England spat their dummies out after failing to get a World Cup.Both were more than happy to go along with FIFA's way of doing things before their failed bids.If America or England had been chosen to host either the 2018 or 2022 World Cup there would be none of this corruption shit flying around.