Official Match Thread: Stoke 1-1 Newcastle United

JawD

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm convinced there's some sort of mind bending invisible gas in the air at St James that makes anyone employed as manager see Shola Ameobi as some sort of footballing god.

paraphrased from the NUSC podcast

`its not sholas fault he thinks he pele`

I think it's the nicest thing he could say about Shola, it would be unprofessional for any of the managers to come straight out and say he's a big bag of gelatinous shit.

p.s. anybody watching it on Match of the Day would have seen the camera shift to Shearer and Dowie, Shearer clearly says "Who was that?" and Dowie replies with an air of resignation "Shola"

it seems the lad is picked out of hope, rather than judgement... maybe they didn't think Carroll was ready to start a Premiership dogfight of a game, whereas Shola has bags of experience...

Shearers comments yesterday suggest he looks a totally different player in training than he does on the big stage.

If we win our 3 home games wel be on 39/40 points. Is that enough to stay up this year?

probably, but I'd be pretty surprised if we won all of them.

everyone's saying the same thing, when i say it you guys all start crying and calling me condescending and all sorts of nonsense. i said get jonas on, it'll help and it did. i said all your midfielders are shit, and they are, and everyone's saying the same thing. i said if u have good midfielder (jonas), even average strikers (carrol) can score, and that's what happened. i said the starting team was all wrong and shearer wasn't going for the win, and he wasn't. now all you guys are saying the same thing as well. maybe you should be a little more tolerant and accepting, it's not like i'm some others here like danny who only come on here to wind you up. you all end up agreeing with what i'm saying eventually

Dude- let it go. Colocinni was shit the last two games. Pedestrian effort and no heart. Just get over it.

everyone's saying the same thing, when i say it you guys all start crying and calling me condescending and all sorts of nonsense. i said get jonas on, it'll help and it did. i said all your midfielders are shit, and they are, and everyone's saying the same thing. i said if u have good midfielder (jonas), even average strikers (carrol) can score, and that's what happened. i said the starting team was all wrong and shearer wasn't going for the win, and he wasn't. now all you guys are saying the same thing as well. maybe you should be a little more tolerant and accepting, it's not like i'm some others here like danny who only come on here to wind you up. you all end up agreeing with what i'm saying eventually

No one is agreeing with you, you're agreeing with them. The reason people have had a go at you today is because you are saying nothing out of the ordinary yet you're acting like some type of oracle. Yes, we know our midfield is shit, hence the reason we've been saying it for years, but coming on here and saying "I told you so" when you were simply late to the party can be grating, especially when we're in the shite. Understand?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out Jonas has more of an impact coming off the bench when he's still quite leggy either. To say he's a "good midfielder" is going a bit far though because beyond not being afraid to run at players and being adept at conning referees he has fuck all else in his locker as his almost weekly disappearing act goes to show whenever he starts. Anyway, if I remember correctly he wasn't involved in the goal in any way, shape or form either so your point is pretty redundant.

Edited by Ketsbaia

No one is agreeing with you, you're agreeing with them. The reason people have had a go at you today is because you are saying nothing out of the ordinary yet you're acting like some type of oracle. Yes, we know our midfield is shit, hence the reason we've been saying it for years, but coming on here and saying "I told you so" when you were simply late to the party can be grating, especially when we're in the shite. Understand?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out Jonas has more of an impact coming off the bench when he's still quite leggy either. To say he's a "good midfielder" is going a bit far though because beyond not being afraid to run at players and being adept at conning referees he has fuck all else in his locker as his almost weekly disappearing act goes to show whenever he starts. Anyway, if I remember correctly he wasn't involved in the goal in any way, shape or form either so your point is pretty redundant.

leave the arsehole alone,he's talking shite

Nice to see a couple of subs coming on and having an impact for a change I thought. And although 3 points would have been great I'd have taken 1-1 at the start, let alone when we went a goal down. I thought the 3 at the back was a good way of combatting Stoke's aerial threat too. No way Hughton or Kinnear would have done that imo. Pretty pleased overall and it should give us a bit of confidence for the remaining games as well.

a poor impersonation of me. I'm always right, not you.

:lol:

Nice to see a couple of subs coming on and having an impact for a change I thought. And although 3 points would have been great I'd have taken 1-1 at the start, let alone when we went a goal down. I thought the 3 at the back was a good way of combatting Stoke's aerial threat too. No way Hughton or Kinnear would have done that imo. Pretty pleased overall and it should give us a bit of confidence for the remaining games as well.

Its too easy to put out a standard back four every week without thinking of any other way to combat the other side. Good to see Shearer is willing to try something different. While I wuldnt go as far as to say we looked comfortable at the back, we certianly handled alot of what they threw at us. Was more going forward we had problems. We were weak in midfield and giving nothing to the forwards plus we lost possession too easy. This seemed to change after the subs. Jonas and the overall play from the midfield increased pressure on Stoke and Carroll was more of a threat and Owen was brought more into the game.

I'm not saying we played well btw. There was very little football from us and hoofing it forward played right into their hands but I just think the 3 at the back did quite well considering what was thrown at them. Ryan Taylor is fucking awful btw.

yes, beattie and fuller strike fear into the hearts of opposing defenders don't they?

So, your idea of success is replacing good strikers with average ones to compensate for a poor midfield? Nutcase.

my idea of success is SELLING good strikers, using the money to buy GOOD midfielders that can dribble, keep possession, and pass, and use average strikers because when your midfield is creating 10 chances a game, chances are 1 or 2 of them will go in. not very hard to understand. or you could have world class strikers with nobody to supply them and just hope and pray they get 1 lucky chance and they put away, which is what you're doing.

Always works in FM.

I'm not saying we played well btw. There was very little football from us and hoofing it forward played right into their hands but I just think the 3 at the back did quite well considering what was thrown at them. Ryan Taylor is fucking awful btw.

I actually couldnt believe we were doing that. HOOF the ball every opportunity when you have Owen and Shola up front. Stoke soaked that up like a gift.

I actually couldnt believe we were doing that. HOOF the ball every opportunity when you have Owen and Shola up front. Stoke soaked that up like a gift.

I was fuming with that.

Thing is, while I don't rate Martins, his not playing created the old problem of us having no pace upfront meaning Stoke's defence played a high line and this meant our midfield didn't have a lot of time on the ball or options. We had to try and play football though ffs because a big hoof was akin to passing the ball to the opposition. It was only when Jonas and Carroll came on that we did this. I thought Duff combined well with Jonas after that. And when we actually gave their defence something to think about they didn't look anywhere near as comfortable.

Harper was pretty poor - looks low on confidence - thought defensively we were ok but the usual lapses cost us - carroll was outstanding at both ends of the pitch - guti caused problems and ryan taylor is awful - edgar was committed and deserves a place ahead of collocinni - nolan has the turning circle of a fully laden coal barge