Stevie says...

smoggeordie

From where I sit the situation is this: Stevie is one of the more entertaining posters, but who also has a dark side :o , but then again it is the 'dark' side that makes him worthwhile. Tricky one.

Agreed. He's a very knowledgeable football poster ( football generally, not just NUFC), and it's his confrontational style that can set this place off now and again.

He's a bit of a Gordon Ramsey / Alan Sugar character in some ways, in that he clearly knows his stuff but if you get on the wrong side of him, he's not going to be shy telling you about it.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say most of those are at worst xenophobic rather than racist.

i am in utter shock at writing this but i'd have to agree with.........D....a......nn...y......B on this, most of the postings (with the exception of the one about beheading) listed were not terribly offensive and didn't use any slurs, you could tack c**t onto the end of anything french german english canadian.

thing with censorship is once you start you have to continue for everyone then, and if that happens where do you stop?

just my 2 cents, and i know it's your board and i don't envy the position of being a mod.

Don't think it's censorship in the slightest, it looks to me that Stevie has been asked to tone it down (unbeknown to the rest of us) for quite some time and a bloke of Stevie's age and intelligence ought to have taken the hint. From where I sit the situation is this: Stevie is one of the more entertaining posters, but who also has a dark side :o , but then again it is the 'dark' side that makes him worthwhile. Tricky one.

i was commenting on the fact that they were running stevie through an extra filter. not about whether his ban was justified, not for me to say.

if you are going to warn him then i say let him post whatever he wants if it is deemed unacceptable then see ya later

What concerns me, though, is this business to 'see' poster's posts ( :o ) before they're posted. Am I right (if I am, there's some fucker reading this brilliant post before the rest of the troops on here get to see it!)? If I am, I am a bit shocked tbh. I have written loads of shite over the years and pulled out at the last minute, as it were (oo-er matron), so I'm a tad concerned that the shite I have written yet not posted has been read. Is this correct?????

Yours, concerned.

No. To simplify:

They can't see anything until you hit the 'add reply' button.

Stevie's posts won't appear directly on the thread at the moment, a moderator will have to approve them first, then they will appear.

Hope that doesn't come across as patronising, but if it does we could always meet up outside the Trent for a fight :o

Thanks Dr Ken, that's an ample and sufficient answer to my question. Now, I hope Renton, and all the other twats who think I'm a complete duffer when it comes to 'puters understand that!! :o :o

Renton, in one of the earlier posts (one of Craig's I think), it was stated that Stevie's posts were deleted before they were posted. Or some such. I, quite naturally, wanted to ease the minds of the lesser intelligent members' fears about their aborted posts being read by our Mods. That is all.

Time for a dance :o :o

I tell you something else comparing me to the racist scum on Skunkers borders on slander tbh.

I'm glad you're offended by it - perhaps it'll kick-start you into making sure we don't head off in that direction.

As outlined in my post, racism (whatever level it may be at) was one of many number of issues - all of which has been raised with you privately. Perhaps it is more xenophonia than racism but by the by, your aggression towards other posters is more concerning.

With regards the french bloke - yes he was arrogant, you were far from the only person to notice it but you were the only one to respond in that way.

What is frustrating more than anything is that you are knowledgable and in a lot of respects are an asset to this place. What would be best for all would be for you to draw a line under what has happened, continue posting here but take note of what we've said and show restraint.

It is unanimously without doubt what the admin team would like to occur... but the decision lies with you.

let him post whatever he wants if it is deemed unacceptable then see ya later

Funnily enough that's exactly what we did last Thursday...

Guest Stevie
I tell you something else comparing me to the racist scum on Skunkers borders on slander tbh.

I'm glad you're offended by it - perhaps it'll kick-start you into making sure we don't head off in that direction.

As outlined in my post, racism (whatever level it may be at) was one of many number of issues - all of which has been raised with you privately. Perhaps it is more xenophonia than racism but by the by, your aggression towards other posters is more concerning.

With regards the french bloke - yes he was arrogant, you were far from the only person to notice it but you were the only one to respond in that way.

What is frustrating more than anything is that you are knowledgable and in a lot of respects are an asset to this place. What would be best for all would be for you to draw a line under what has happened, continue posting here but take note of what we've said and show restraint.

It is unanimously without doubt what the admin team would like to occur... but the decision lies with you.

...and it's what I would like to occur, but this moderating my posts thing is insulting, for someone with 5000 posts, of which I doubt more than 50 have ever caused offence.

Stevie just told me he's posted 6 times and the admin moderating his posts and not posting them, he said he hopes Jimbo is proud of himself, making a name for himself like the ref who sent Kevin Moran off in the 1985 FA Cup Final.

HA HA

He said something else as well which is why I haven't approved it.

He plays nicely, his posts will be approved and perhaps moderation will be dropped. At the moment, not a chance!

Post moderation? It's a bit N-Oish isn't it?

Let him post what he wants, he knows the rules. If he breaks them then ban him again, it'll be his own fault.

No it's a bit Toontastic-ish actually :o The difference is we can see what he's trying to post and for the time being moderation is obviously the correct decision.

Banning (permanently) will be the next stage - but it's our decision, not yours.

I was only making a fucking point, no need to come across like a dickhead.

Making a point or telling us what we should do?

I was pointing out an alternative. He's a big boy, if he doesn't want to play by the rules then he knows what will happen.

I wasn't questioning your authority sir.

cartman.jpg

...and it's what I would like to occur, but this moderating my posts thing is insulting, for someone with 5000 posts, of which I doubt more than 50 have ever caused offence.

It should be for a fucking grown up. Isn't that telling you anything?

Guest Stevie

It should be for a fucking grown up. Isn't that telling you anything?

** bites tongue and says good post.

let him post whatever he wants if it is deemed unacceptable then see ya later

Funnily enough that's exactly what we did last Thursday...

I don't want it to seem like I'm picking a fight because it ultimately doesn't affect me much, but you're not allowing him to post what he wants now. The rules are clear to everyone, you can either obey them or be banned. This moderation seems unnecessarily OTT imo. If he wants to break the rules again then let him and follow it up with a ban.

Edited by ewerk

Stevie man, you've the c-word in your sig :o

Don't give people a stick to beat you with.

Are we not to use the work cunt now? There was a lull a while ago from using it - due to Cath's remonstrations - but it drifted back into many posts since. I can see Cath's (and anyone else's for that matter) point of view, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds no problem with it's use.

Guest Stevie

I think it's time to draw a line under this episode, while I don't agree that what I have said is specifically wrong or worthy of a ban, I fully understand the desire of the moderators which is to project Toontastic in a positive light without anything which could put the site under the negative scrutiny of external sources. The site is firmly behind the NUSC, and it's not far fetched to say members of the press (A few times Anal has quoted things I've put on this site, there was one in particular stat I posted on this site and I can't remember what it was, the next day Anal quoted it in the paper) and even the powers that be read this site. So I understand the need to keep the site as whiter than white as possible, and there's no connotation there before people start bleating on. This is not a climb down from anyone, but the matter is now closed.

:o Oh Steven, oh how you amuse me.

I know a fella whos a police man and he tells me that in 90% of town centre assaults, there is the victim, the perpetrator, and some bloke stirring the pot.

He always does his best to make sure the guy stirring it up hits his head on the way in for questioning.

Guess who you are in this scenario.

This is the case in 90% of town centre assaults? Shocking statistic really. Wikipedia-worthy!

Completely

Unnecessary.

Nice

Termination.

:o:o

:o

Shouldn't you be in a gutter somewhere?? :o (don't think I needed the wink, but I chucked it in just in case) Sot.

Reformed character now Snakey....sorry....only drink till I am drunkl now...not hitting the keyboard with my head....leave the dirty stuff to soccer ma/mam/mum/mammy/mom now :o

Completely

Unnecessary.

Nice

Termination.

Shouldn't you be in a gutter somewhere?? :o (don't think I needed the wink, but I chucked it in just in case) Sot.

Reformed character now Snakey....sorry....only drink till I am drunkl now...not hitting the keyboard with my head....leave the dirty stuff to soccer ma/mam/mum/mammy/mom now :o

Good girl. Bend over and I'll give you something to make sure you don't wake up with a hangover!!

Completely

Unnecessary.

Nice

Termination.

Good girl. Bend over and I'll give you something to make sure you don't wake up with a hangover!!

assuming the position now sir ..... :o

Completely

Unnecessary.

Nice

Termination.

assuming the position now sir ..... :o

There. I'm sure you enjoyed it as much as I did. Yes, I'm finished. Whaddya mean, you didn't feel owt???

I think it's time to draw a line under this episode, while I don't agree that what I have said is specifically wrong or worthy of a ban, I fully understand the desire of the moderators which is to project Toontastic in a positive light without anything which could put the site under the negative scrutiny of external sources. The site is firmly behind the NUSC, and it's not far fetched to say members of the press (A few times Anal has quoted things I've put on this site, there was one in particular stat I posted on this site and I can't remember what it was, the next day Anal quoted it in the paper) and even the powers that be read this site. So I understand the need to keep the site as whiter than white as possible, and there's no connotation there before people start bleating on. This is not a climb down from anyone, but the matter is now closed.

Backpedal.jpg

Backpedal.jpg

Can you please drop it as well? Time to move on with all this....

This thread should now die but I wanted to stick my two penneth in before it does.

The decision was a unanimous one, the last post in question was raised and all the admin team agreed that the banning had to be done. My thread on this back in September made it clear that we wouldnt stand for racism, Ok so one mans racism is another mans comedy but frankly anything that is seen as racist should be kicked into touch when it happens, tbf the mistake we made in this case was debating it, one of us should have banned you there and then. If we had done then it would have been clearer as to the reason.

We only have a very very limited set of rules on here and thats the way it should stay. We dont ban people for WUMmery, if we did Danny would be sat down the old dog n duck with a pint of fizzy on a night time instead of here. We dont ban them because frankly it is a free world, do what the fuck you want but take the consequences when everyone else turns on you. This is ably proven by Danny time after time, he makes some wank post and is made to look a cock by many on here.

There is however no requirement to keep this site whiter than white, I personally couldnt give a fuck if the powers that be or Anal or anyone else reads it, I couldnt care a monkeys piss stain if they quote things off here and say that Toontastic doesnt have a clue or that sort of thing. What I dont think should happen is that Newcastle fans as a whole get sterotyped by the media on something totally unrelated when they hunt for a quote. Let them put down what somebody has said because they dont agree with the view or the factual content but not trot out some age old cliche of flat caps, whippets and haters of everything non-Geordie.

More importantly though, this place should be somewhere people can come and not be subjected to racism, whether thats directed at them or just something they read.

The post back in September was made as a direct result of certain things being said and a worry that it could be used by the media against toon fans as a whole. That still stands but behind it is a more important reason, its common decency. There is no need to launch into attacks on someone using their colour or sex or religion or sexual preferences. Its just not required and frankly doesnt make for a well informed read.

There is no doubting that you can post some good informed stuff Stevie, I dont think thats ever been in doubt but you have a tendency to launch all out when somebody doesnt agree. Even if their answer is complete bollocks, just wind your neck in for a minute take some deep breaths and reply carefully, thats all it takes. Make the same reply but remove the abusive bit off the end and we're sorted.

I also think that there are some on here who will look to antagonise you and frankly do take the piss where thats concerned but again, its nobodies fault but your own, they know that they can get you to bite and are doing it for that reason. In this instance it worked and they got exactly what they were hoping for. Dont let them win is the simple answer.

There are two ways that can be achieved both involve moderating your posts before they go into the public view, either we do it as we have done yesterday, which is a pain for all concerned because whatever point you're making doesnt appear until sometimes hours after it was relevant and we have to put ourselves out to check them (which I would much rather not be doing (especially as 90% of what you post bores me rigid :o ) ). The second option though is you doing it yourself, make your post but before you hit that Submit button just read it through again slowly and remove the bits that you know will cause offence. Job done, everyones a winner, well nearly everyone, those that look to get you banned will have failed.

*Oh and saying Anal quoted something you said is neither big nor clever, it just makes me doubt whatever it was you posted :o