Shearer the manager

Christmas Tree

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shearer was brought in with one target to aim for and that is to keep us up.

ewerk, Shearer might think that but you seriously have to question the motives of the fuckwits that own/run the club and question how much it has to do with season ticket sales and PR.

There's no doubt about that, it was the exact same thing when Keegan got the job too.

I like everything I've heard about the work Shearer and Dowie are doing behind the scenes, especially the emphasis on professionalism and fitness. The bottom line though is that it's first and foremost a short-term apointment to get us out of the shit. It's all about whether they can improve us on the pitch for the next six games and put enough points on the board to beat the drop, otherwise it hasn't worked.

Either way it'll be far too early to make judgements about whether Shearer can cut it as a manager.

I think regardless whether he "saves" us or not, I am now Adam ant that I would like him to remain for the next 5 years.

Let's go into ore season on the right foot.

Naturally this will all depend on what assurances he gets from Ashley, but that's a different story all together.

You could make a class football chant out of 'Prince Charming' as well. :D

Prince Albert..........Prince Albert

Chipping Schmicheal sliding on his backside

I think the stuff he's done is a damning indictment on the way it was under Kinnear then Hughton rather than anything amazing on his part. That's not a pop at him btw.

He made a substitution that made a difference. So far that's better than the other two :D

For the time being the past is irrelevant, all that matters is the here and now. I'm not saying that it hasn't affected the situation we're currently in.

Shearer was brought in with one target to aim for and that is to keep us up. No matter how we do it, that is the goal. If we go down then he will have failed. It mightn't necessarily be all his fault but he will have failed in what he came here to do.

Agreed, but I wont hold it against him if he does fail.

Shearer was brought in to do a job, which is keep us up. If he doesnt do this then he has failed what hes come here to do, but i for one certainly wont hold it against him, with the team hes inherited after a season of disappointment and constant low confidence some of the best managers in the world would have trouble sorting them out in 8 games.

I'm still confident that the man will keep us up and will stay on next season and even bring in some decent players during the season, hes already shown as Dowie said that he has major "cahones" for taking the job in the first place and not being scared to make big calls, e.g. dropping Coloccini and attacking Chelsea at home and Stoke away.

I think it will be tight but Big Al will prevail in the end and then we can look forward to finally building next season.

:D

Probably bollox but the sun website is reporting that Shearer has asked one Mr Daglish to be his director of football!

:D sometimes I wonder how much sense these papers have.

Since when does a manager get to decide his boss? especially when that manager has only 6 games left in charge.

I like the way he stops the media circus in it's tracks like he did yesterday:

Journalist: "Shay Given states that they should have offered you the job earlier, would you have accepted if they had?"

Shearer: "All 'ifs and buts'. They didn't offer me it so it's a pointless question.

Journalist: "If they had would you have tried to hold onto Shay?"

Shearer: "Again another 'if'"

Makes a refreshing change from the Kinnear intsamatic bullshit device ®

You miss it really.

I like the way he stops the media circus in it's tracks like he did yesterday:

Journalist: "Shay Given states that they should have offered you the job earlier, would you have accepted if they had?"

Shearer: "All 'ifs and buts'. They didn't offer me it so it's a pointless question.

Shearer: "Again another 'if'"

Makes a refreshing change from the Kinnear intsamatic bullshit device ®

You miss it really.

Kinnear: "Love a duck, I'd 'ave faackin snapped their 'aands off. Do you know 'ow much I'm earnin' 'ere? Thirty faackin' K a game. I nearly 'ad an 'art attack when I heard. It's a nice little earner and no mistake.

Kinnear: "Cunt!"

Journalist: "Pardon?"

Kinnear: "I ain't sayin' nuffink or you'll do me up good aand proppa. Like a right kipper"

Shearer was brought in to do a job, which is keep us up. If he doesnt do this then he has failed what hes come here to do, but i for one certainly wont hold it against him, with the team hes inherited after a season of disappointment and constant low confidence some of the best managers in the world would have trouble sorting them out in 8 games.

I'm still confident that the man will keep us up and will stay on next season and even bring in some decent players during the season, hes already shown as Dowie said that he has major "cahones" for taking the job in the first place and not being scared to make big calls, e.g. dropping Coloccini and attacking Chelsea at home and Stoke away.

I think it will be tight but Big Al will prevail in the end and then we can look forward to finally building next season.

:wacko:

Optimistic, I hope your right, but can't help thinking the reality will be very much different. :nufc:

Pre-match interview before the match was good too. One question sticks out:

Interviewer (Adrian Chiles I think, I'd had a few though): When you took the job, why did you say it was only for 8 games

Al: Because it was (with a deadpan look in his face)

:lol:Nearly spat my beer at that point

EDIT: Just re-read my first line, when else would a pre-match interview be? :nufc:

Quote from Mick Martin tonight, when he asked Al about next season he got a simple straight answer of "I dont want it".

Quote from Mick Martin tonight, when he asked Al about next season he got a simple straight answer of "I dont want it".

Oh FFS.

no surprise really, he has yet to have a win and the owner is a cocknose.

He's trying to keep us up in the hope cocknose sorts shit out in the summer.

Cocknose is going to go down as one of the worst chairmen in British history.

Joy

I still recon he'll be our manager.

Nothing article from The Guardian

Alan Shearer's return to Newcastle United as manager may have failed to spark an immediate improvement in results but it is looking increasingly likely that he will extend his stay beyond the end of the season even if the Magpies are relegated. Although the official line from boardroom and manager is that he will step down to allow Joe Kinnear, who is recovering at home following heart surgery, to return, there is a growing feeling on Tyneside and among close friends that this is a long-term project for Shearer.

The former Newcastle captain has steadfastly maintained he took the job for only eight games to prevent the club from crashing into the Championship while Kinnear recovered. However, there have been a series of less-than-subtle suggestions from Shearer and his assistant, Iain Dowie, that he would like to keep the job.

Dowie has spoken excitedly about the prospect of taking on an ambitious project at St James' Park, claiming "it just needs someone to get it going again" while also talking about the need for "stability and long-term thinking".

Shearer has also let his guard down, revealing last week that he has told the striker Mark Viduka he will look at whether to offer him a new one-year contract at the end of the season, something which would be beyond his remit if he were set to leave next month.

The club's scouting system has also been overhauled under his guidance following the departure of the unpopular former executive director (football), Dennis Wise, and Shearer confirmed transfer planning for next season is "all still happening" with him in charge.

Despite taking just one win from his first three games as a manager, Shearer, who should welcome the midfielder Joey Barton and left-back José Enrique back from injury against Portsmouth on Monday night, also admits he cannot help but revel in the intensity of the job. He said: "There are so many emotions. You're up, you're down, I don't know how to describe, it to be honest. You have a million things going through your head. You can't switch off at all.

"I think it would be wrong to say I'm enjoying it when we're not getting the right result but during it I'm enjoying the battle. I would enjoy it a hell of a lot more if we got some points.

"I knew the size of the task going into it. I knew that the players were low on confidence and I knew there were a lot of injuries. But I still believed, and still do believe, that we have enough to get ourselves out of it. I think with tactics and psychology, there's room to improve on everything."

Despite enjoying the challenge, Shearer's stay will depend on the assurances he receives from the owner, Mike Ashley, at the end of the season. The United hierarchy, though, would find it almost impossible not to appoint him permanently were he to keep them up – Newcastle are four points adrift of safety with five games left to play – while they know he is the one person who can offer renewed hope if he takes charge of the team in the Championship.

----------------------------------------------

Which game did we win again?

Shearer is a big name. The only chance we have of not getting relegated and staying there is to build something with him in charge. He'd be mad not to take it, the timing's actually perfect for him. I can see him persuading a much higher standard of player to sign for us compared to Kinnear. Obviously. :D

Shearer is a big name. The only chance we have of not getting relegated and staying there is to build something with him in charge. He'd be mad not to take it, the timing's actually perfect for him. I can see him persuading a much higher standard of player to sign for us compared to Kinnear. Obviously. :D

Like KK did?