Viduka wants to stay at Newcastle...

OTF

Viduka wants to stay with Newcastle

May 13, 2009 12:20pm

MARK Viduka has spoken for the first time of his desire to remain with Newcastle United beyond this after gaining a new lease of life under Alan Shearer.

After another largely frustrating, injury-riddled season, the former Socceroos captain has returned to the park and started to show his best form in recent weeks.

His man-of-the-match performance in the 3-1 win over Middlesbrough on Monday has given Magpies fans hope he could be the man to save them from relegation this season.

Viduka, who is off contract at season's end, looked certain to leave the club under former manager Joe Kinnear, possibly paving the way for a return to Australia to join the A-League.

But the 33-year-old says he now wants to remain at St James' Park and has urged the club to make new manager Shearer's caretaker role a permanent one.

"I would love to spend some more time at this club," Viduka said.

"That's my personal thing. I would love to have good times here and with Alan Shearer as a boss, this club has a lot of potential.

"I have been here for two years and we've had five managers. I would say to whoever is in charge, keep Alan for as long as he needs.

"The fans love him, he is Newcastle through and through, he is a big personality, people respect him and the players respect him."

Shearer has been strong in his support for Viduka since taking charge, both vocally and in team selections, preferring him in starting roles at times over strike partners Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins.

It's the kind of support Viduka says he did not get from Kinnear even when was struggling with injury.

"When I had problems with my Achilles, I worked hard to get back but Joe Kinnear didn't look like he wanted to use me," Viduka said.

"When Alan Shearer came in, the first thing he said to me was, `Are you up for a fight?' and I am always up for a fight. I said `definitely.'

"I'm a massive fan of Alan's ... I admired him as a player. We play the same position and when someone with his personality and what he has done in the game comes and says, `I need you', it lifts you."

While both Viduka and Shearer's futures are still unclear, Newcastle's first priority will be preserving their place in England's top flight.

They sit just out of the drop zone on for-and-against at the moment but have tough assignments against Fulham and Aston Villa in their final two league matches.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...41-2883,00.html

I'd like him to stay, but only under the provision that he is paid in proportion to how often, and how well he plays.

Edited by OzToonFan

"When I had problems with my Achilles, I worked hard to get back but Joe Kinnear didn't look like he wanted to use me," Viduka said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...41-2883,00.html

Let's just say it wasn't a look that Kinnear and his chums at the club gave the fat man.

Like I've said before, a world cup year on a pay as you play or low wage with performance bonuses and we'd get some of our own back next season.

Had a good game at the weekend. One swallow and all that I know. But, I think when he is good he is still very good, but you need mobile players around him. I'd still keep him in the squad so long as his wages are not stupid. Pay as you play would ideal if course.

We should keep him. His value in our annual fight against relegation can't be underestimated. He's injured for most of the season, which means he's as fresh as a daisy in the last few matches. Ideally we'd put him on a lucrative annual contract, which means he can spend two thirds of the season on the sofa counting his coin and conserving his energy; then the realisation will dawn that the season is drawing to a close and there's just enough time to haul his capacious butt off the sofa, get fit and squeeze in 6-10 games.

We should keep him. His value in our annual fight against relegation can't be underestimated. He's injured for most of the season, which means he's as fresh as a daisy in the last few matches. Ideally we'd put him on a lucrative annual contract, which means he can spend two thirds of the season on the sofa counting his coin and conserving his energy; then the realisation will dawn that the season is drawing to a close and there's just enough time to haul his capacious butt off the sofa, get fit and squeeze in 6-10 games.

:o

Waste of a career, should have been a great striker at a top club. Would be interested in keeping him for sure, his ability isn't in question. If we can keep him fit we've got some player.

Puretune Addicted to bass 2009

a word about my hunger

i'm totally addicted to Greggs, Pasty Pasty

totally addicted to Greggs

Cornish Pasty

As soon as we offer him a new deal, he'll get injured again.

It's fair to say that whether or not we offer him a new deal he will get injured again. :D

He likes having a cause to fight for; whether that's a new contract, escaping relagation, getting back into the Australian team or whatever, when he's motivated and on the pitch he's a class above. He said that he came to Newcastle because he wanted to be able to look back on his career and have some great memories. Memories like a man-of-the-match performance in front of 50,000+ screaming Geordies waving flags that helps to drag Newcastle out of the relegation zone.

Sure, he'll need to be babied through a season, and will even still forseeably spend a fair amount of time off the pitch... but taking all that into account I think the value that he offers to the team in the matches where he does take to the pitch are enough to warrant keeping him (at a lower wage). We're not in a position where we can attract players of that quality, so if we can keep him and get him on the pitch more than last season then he will be like a new player.

As everyone's saying it's a question of value. On large wages he's poor value because he's injury prone. The days when we can carry the likes of Carr and Babayaro are long gone. He's an asset to the team on his day but his day doesn't come often enough. He'd be great on a pay for play contract but I doubt he'd accept.

Everything points to the exit door imo. Ashley will look to slash the wage bill next season whatever happens and Viduka and Owen are the obvious candidates. That would still leave us with Ameobi, Xisco, Martins and Carroll and I reckon we'll sell one of those and get one replacement in (ie 3 out, one in).

Viduka being on the wage that he was was a direct result of him being available on a free. Instead of the money going to a club, it went straight to Viduka ('s waistline). I think his value in the market has dropped substancially thanks to all the time he has spent on our treatment tables (and the fact that his age has also advanced 2 years) so there won't be the same need to sweeten the deal with the large wage.

Nonetheless if he gets offered a lower wage with healthy incentives and knocks it back, then he can piss off. It will show where his heart is.

the mans a multi millionare, i reckon as hes not retired from australia's squad yet, that he will continue at a top flight club. he needs this to be able to get into the australia team, and i reckon next season he will be here. and putting in roughly 5 good performances before the summer.