Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

Enjoying Masters of the Air on AppleTV+, naturally its not a patch on band of brothers, but it captures the utter bleak desperation of the WWII air campaign.

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Enjoying Masters of the Air on AppleTV+, naturally its not a patch on band of brothers, but it captures the utter bleak desperation of the WWII air campaign.

Feels way more Hollywood than it's predecessors.

Still good though 

• Like 1

Watched the first episode of "One day" on Netflix yesterday. Set in Edinburgh University in 1988, high IMDb ratings, and loads of recommendations from people I like, should be right up my street. 

What a load of shite. More boring than "Normal people".  For a TV programme I assume is supposed to be about the chemistry of the protagonists, it was as explosive as a dry fart. I'll give it one more chance to redeem itself tonight. 

On another note, highly enjoyed Fargo S5. That Keeley lass from Ted Lasso stars, she's great. Fargo has a strange habit of employing British actors in lead roles despite being American. This series is like a combination of the original Fargo, No Country for Old Men, and Kill Bill. Excellent. 

Yeah Juno Temple was excellent in Fargo S5. And that was a good season.

Finished Mr & Mrs Smith at the weekend and thought it was very good. Some more action in the later episodes but the whole series was about the chemistry between the two main characters and they were class.

Had a bit more time than usual for the telly the last two weeks. Age ratings are confusing me. 

Started Griselda, top notch Narcos action. An 18 here, appropriate.

But Saltburn is a 15, wtf?

Then I watched a documentary called Einstein and the bomb - it's a 15 and I can see no content to explain why (we've all seen nuclear bombs exploding).

A short Netflix film called "the After" (only 25 mins). Utterly traumatising and one of the saddest things I have ever seen,  and yet a 15. 

Jaws, still traumatised me after 40 years - a PG. 

I dunno. Off to play GTAV with my 10 year old now. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Renton said:

Had a bit more time than usual for the telly the last two weeks. Age ratings are confusing me. 

Then I watched a documentary called Einstein and the bomb - it's a 15 and I can see no content to explain why (we've all seen nuclear bombs exploding).

A short Netflix film called "the After" (only 25 mins). Utterly traumatising and one of the saddest things I have ever seen,  and yet a 15. 

This is a sign of age.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Started Kin last night on iplayer. First episode was alright.

Started that Breathless thing about the NHS during COVID too. Obviously I never worked in a hospital but certainly transported you back to that time as we approached lockdown for the first time.

You've already got the likes of Bev Turner on twitter rubbishing it and slagging off the doctor that wrote the book on which it's based. We have some genuinely appalling people in the public eye in this country. With decent sized followings.

• Like 2

In case anyone hasn’t seen the latest season of True Detective with Jodie Foster, here’s a summary

Oooh, cold. 

Oooh, spooky Inuit stuff

Ooooh, environmental bad-guys

Ooooh, what a parcel of shite. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Started that Breathless thing about the NHS during COVID too. Obviously I never worked in a hospital but certainly transported you back to that time as we approached lockdown for the first time.

You've already got the likes of Bev Turner on twitter rubbishing it and slagging off the doctor that wrote the book on which it's based. We have some genuinely appalling people in the public eye in this country. With decent sized followings.

She’s a genuinely deeply unpleasant grifter. Although I find the amount of people taken in by the likes of her worse 

38 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

In case anyone hasn’t seen the latest season of True Detective with Jodie Foster, here’s a summary

Oooh, cold. 

Oooh, spooky Inuit stuff

Ooooh, environmental bad-guys

Ooooh, what a parcel of shite. 

I was gonna watch it, I'll swerve it after this Radio Times review :lol: 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Wife went out with her parents and aunt and uncle (Tories) at the weekend.  Her Aunt is lovely but doesn't live on this planet and her uncle is a nice guy but, well, both Tories.  She votes because he does basically.  When they met up at a pub they were complaining about the state of the roads with potholes etc.  Then got onto how Trump can stand when he's been in court etc.  Wife said 'Well, it's only like the corrupt Tories and Blair isn't it?'  Silence :lol: 

• Haha 1

The BBC doc on the Columbia disaster is well worth watching if people are into that kind of thing btw. It seems NASA just repeated the same mistakes as with the Challenger disaster. Far too process driven without seeing the bigger picture and a culture of burying awkward truths. A lot of guilt from engineers who know they didn't speak loud enough. I'm not sure if anything could have been done to save the shuttle though, in fact part of me wonders if the ignorance of the crew were a blessing. Maybe this will be explored further in the third and last part of the series next Monday. 

Edit: All episodes are on player. Shuttle that fell to Earth. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2

On 20/02/2024 at 09:46, Gemmill said:

Watched the first episode of Breathless last night. It was ok. I found the whole "but its government guidance" a bit overplayed.

Whitty et al seemed to be doing their best in the first few weeks when the evidence base was changing literally daily. Glad Boris got roasted for bragging about shaking hands in hospitals though. The fucking idiot 

It was just alright by the end I thought. Definitely hasn't had the same impact as the Mr Bates thing which I know they were hoping for.

Unfortunately I think people are all scandalised out over covid. That, and the fact that there's probably a good 30 to 40% of the country that think thoughts ranging from, we should never have locked down, to it was all a hoax.

On 20/02/2024 at 09:18, Renton said:

my kid wants GTA but I’m holding off for now. He’s 12. is it not pretty savage? 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

It's basically open world with a heavy slant towards cartoon violence. So can cycle up a mountain on a BMX if that's your thing, hijack a plane and crash it into a high rise, or drive around and pick up prostitutes and then murder them to get your money back..Whatever floats yer boat.

I haven't played it in years but if I remember correctly my favourite activities were just sitting around listening to the radio stations in-between killing-spree sessions and hijacking taxi cabs and driving unsuspecting customers into the sea. 

I'm too old for it now and the last one felt a bit formulaic and phoned in from what I played, but your 12yo would fucking love it.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I was joking. No way would I want my kids playing it until they're 15 I reckon. Red dead redemption isn't as bad mind. Other games are available. Zelda is an amazing open world game which has puzzle elements if you have a switch. 

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’d say it depends on what other games they’ve played, and how much exposure that has given them to virtual violence. 
 If they’ve played games like Fortnite then they’ll be pretty unmoved by the violence in GTA, it’s about on par. 
What is different is the swearing and drug references, which are throughout. 

Depends entirely on your kid, my youngest is 13 and he plays GTA 5, is watching Breaking Bad, and also loves Lego. :lol:

9 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Depends entirely on your kid, my youngest is 13 and he plays GTA 5, is watching Breaking Bad, his dad drives a big truck filled with dead prozzies and also loves Lego. :lol:

So it's all relative.

FYP

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’d say it depends on what other games they’ve played, and how much exposure that has given them to virtual violence. 
 If they’ve played games like Fortnite then they’ll be pretty unmoved by the violence in GTA, it’s about on par. 
What is different is the swearing and drug references, which are throughout. 

Depends entirely on your kid, my youngest is 13 and he plays GTA 5, is watching Breaking Bad, and also loves Lego. :lol:

Your kid sounds like a legend.

Mine is obsessed with animals, running headfirst into solid objects and delivering a diving attack off the sofa/bed.

flying smackdown live GIF by WWE

• Haha 2