Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

It was absolute shite. And I watched every episode.

It did however give us one of the cringiest scenes ever broadcast.

Never heard of it. That scene is fucking horrific though 

On 30/11/2021 at 18:51, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Sounds a lot but it’s riveting stuff tbh. Jackson has managed to weave the narrative through it all nicely and you’ve basically got a fly on the wall look at music history. Ringo could barely give a fuck :lol: 

Ringo looked high the entire time but you only ever saw him with a beer or a cup of tea. 

It was surreal seeing some of the greatest song writers of all time sit down with a couple of relatively affordable guitars and a few fender amps and jam out. It’s a candidness I never expected and it was really addictive. 

Here’s one of the most famous artists of all time who’s image you only ever seen briefly in colour or in black and white eating toast on his amp.

32 minutes ago, Tom said:

Ringo looked high the entire time but you only ever saw him with a beer or a cup of tea. 

It was surreal seeing some of the greatest song writers of all time sit down with a couple of relatively affordable guitars and a few fender amps and jam out. It’s a candidness I never expected and it was really addictive. 

Here’s one of the most famous artists of all time who’s image you only ever seen briefly in colour or in black and white eating toast on his amp.

Watched the first hour or so last night. Every time they were on screen I wanted to Crane-Kick Yoko Ono in the face, the buchiach.

I think I’ll give it a go. I like The Beatles anyway and I’ve been much more into watching documentaries than dramas of late. I sat through Ken Burns 10 part / 18 hour Vietnam War series which is worth a watch if you can stomach some of the more unpleasant bits. 

41 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think I’ll give it a go. I like The Beatles anyway and I’ve been much more into watching documentaries than dramas of late. I sat through Ken Burns 10 part / 18 hour Vietnam War series which is worth a watch if you can stomach some of the more unpleasant bits. 

Did you watch his series on Ali? I haven’t like but it’s on the list. Just in case you didn’t know about it since I know you like(d) your boxing

2 hours ago, Tom said:

If anyone ever gives you shit about your diet, just remember The Beatles pretty much made an album in 2 weeks while only living on tea, toast, wine and tabs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Did you watch his series on Ali? I haven’t like but it’s on the list. Just in case you didn’t know about it since I know you like(d) your boxing

Cheers. Tooj told me about it but I haven’t seen it yet. His stuff is usually on PBS on freeview first then often turns up on Netflix where it’s obviously easier to binge watch. His series on Jazz, The US Civil War and Prohibition were really good too but the Vietnam War one had more impact because of all the footage and unprecedented coverage journalists had of that conflict. I love Ali too so it should be a good one 

Watching McCartney come up with Get Back out of thin air while Harrison openly yawns his head off and Ringo just looks out of it, with Lennon not even bothered to show up to the studio yet, is mint. :lol:

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

If anyone ever gives you shit about your diet, just remember The Beatles pretty much made an album in 2 weeks while only living on tea, toast, wine and tabs.

Inspiring tbh. 

im off to the shop 

• Haha 2

Finished the Beatles thing today. Really enjoyed it. 

It's easy to scoff at McCartney now with his "far out" and "groovy" patter, but watching him in this thing, in his late 20s, the talent was absolutely dripping off him. Fucking ridiculous. 

Ringo seemed sound as fuck as well. 

• Like 1

On 03/12/2021 at 15:01, Gemmill said:

Watching McCartney come up with Get Back out of thin air while Harrison openly yawns his head off and Ringo just looks out of it, with Lennon not even bothered to show up to the studio yet, is mint. :lol:

I couldn't make out, was he just mumbling "hummamummanumma"-ing until the words came to him? Or was he actually singing words?

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Aye absolutely mental. Harrison was 25 with the teeth of an 80 year old. :lol:

Aye tbh Lennon looks like a Nanna as well, especially with those specs. 

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I couldn't make out, was he just mumbling "hummamummanumma"-ing until the words came to him? Or was he actually singing words?

I think for a lot of the songs they’d just mimic the syllables as a writing technique. 

So a verse or chorus would be “humammamana….blah blah blah” and they'd write a song around it. 

Initially they spoke of “Get Back” as a protest song against anti-immigration demonstrations but then gradually removed every word relevant to that ultimately leaving a fairly harmless, meaningless song.

1 minute ago, Tom said:

I think for a lot of the songs they’d just mimic the syllables as a writing technique. 

So a verse or chorus would be “humammamana….blah blah blah” and they'd write a song around it. 

Initially they spoke of “Get Back” as a protest song against anti-immigration demonstrations but then gradually removed every word relevant to that ultimately leaving a fairly harmless, meaningless song.

I think it's pretty obvious I'm nowhere near as clued up on music as some of you lot, but despite that I was totally engrossed by this. Not to get to poetical, but seeing familiar things emerge from what sounds/looks like a mess was something beautiful. 

I mean, it's no giant CGI monster getting twatted off a high rise by a woman in spandex, but still... it was beautiful.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

I think it's pretty obvious I'm nowhere near as clued up on music as some of you lot, but despite that I was totally engrossed by this. Not to get to poetical, but seeing familiar things emerge from what sounds/looks like a mess was something beautiful. 

I mean, it's no giant CGI monster getting twatted off a high rise by a woman in spandex, but still... it was beautiful.

Aye. There was bits where they were trying to write things and we know that what is currently the fourth line is gonna become the second line, but they just haven't got it sussed yet. I enjoyed stuff like that. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed the evolution of “Don’t let me down” which is easily one of my favourite Beatles songs

but sounded shite till they got Billy Preston in on keys

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

I enjoyed the evolution of “Don’t let me down” which is easily one of my favourite Beatles songs

but sounded shite till they got Billy Preston in on keys

Same. Love the song and Billy Preston btw - playing the same keyboard lines you hear on the record on what seemed to be his first run-through. :lol:

Proper musician. I'm guessing if you're in Ray Charles's band you don't get a second chance, especially not when you're the one that can see the keys. 

• Haha 3