Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

On 21/09/2023 at 11:32, Gemmill said:

Have you watched Mare of Easttown or Mayor of Kingstown?

Completely unrelated but both are good. The first is Winslet, second is Jeremy Renner.

Just getting around to watching Mayor of Kingstown. Got to admit it's taking me a while to dull the expectation for Jeremy Renner to shoot someone with a bow and arrow, but I'll get there. 

I'll get there.

1 minute ago, Toonpack said:

The Continental - Comic bookish Tarantino-esque (violence and canny music) fun and games. Thoroughly enjoyed it even though it does have Mel Gibson in it.

You wanna tread carefully, given your stuff in the Middle East thread.

Watched boiling point, good as expected but found it quite depressing. I wonder if Stephen Graham has ever done anything uplifting in his career? Also obviously set up for a sequel. It's interesting how this and the Bear have both come about, apparently indepndently. 

In E3, a new sous chef is employed. It was really bugging where I'd heard him before then it suddenly struck me! 

Grand Theft Auto Yes GIF by Rockstar Games

The Last Shadow is decent. The Yorkshire Ripper thing.

Striking just how much of Yorkshire was either a prossie, shagging prossies, or hating prossies (all the coppers).

Canny bleak obviously but pretty well done.

40 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The family on that thing man. Fuck sake.

We watched the first episode of the Savile thing. It's brutal. I felt like a sex offender for convincing my lass to sit through it.

:lol:

I mean, what did you expect? A light meoldrama with an uplifting ending? 

:lol:

I thought it was gonna major on the investigation. But the first episode was all young Savile and his little sidekick creepily sex offending their way through the 60s. And the episode starts an ends with interviews with the real life victims that are featured in that episode. Eesh.

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Isn't Kelsey Grammer a full Trump loony these days? It's a firm no from me to that shit anyway.

It has a laugh track. But it's not a 'filmed in front of a live audience' laugh track, it's a fucking sound board laugh track. 

Aye, fuck that shit. Re: The new Frasier. 

I watched a bit of Boiling Point (the film the TV show follows on from). I thought it was well acted and clever in the way in ratcheted up the tension. The trouble from my pov is that, while I like going out for a nice meal, I can’t get away with the amount of self-important wankers there are in that sort of world. Especially that trendy hipster London bollocks. Where influencers and celebrity chefs are king. I just couldn’t give a fucking shit what people like that think so I couldn’t get into it. 

Edited by Alex

57 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The family on that thing man. Fuck sake.

We watched the first episode of the Savile thing. It's brutal. I felt like a sex offender for convincing my lass to sit through it.

Imagine growing up with a closeted dad and whore mam who are both shagging the paedo who convinced you aliens wanted you to let him fiddle you?

I was shocked at how normal the lass turned out to be fair.

I've never watched anything where I'm out right screaming no at the screen and laughing in sheer disbelief. 

The definition of just when you thought it couldn't get worse, it did. Over and over again.

Frasier was the shittest character on the show and I think he’s the only character from the previous one in the sequel. Cheers was shit too. 

Edited by Alex

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye, fuck that shit. Re: The new Frasier. 

I watched a bit of Boiling Point (the film the TV show follows on from). I thought it was well acted and clever in the way in ratcheted up the tension. The trouble from my pov is that, while I like going out for a nice meal, I can’t get away with the amount of self-important wankers there are in that sort of world. Especially that trendy hipster London bollocks. Where influencers and celebrity chefs are king. I just couldn’t give a fucking shit what people like that think so I couldn’t get into it. 

Think the film is a bit style over substance as well tbh. I mean, the fact it was taken in one-shoot is genuinely incredible. But its about a chef in a posh restaurant ateod. More just a vehicle to show off Graham's talents I think. The series is quite different but imo too short, they don't give the characters enough time to explain their background or develop them. The four episodes feel like a trailer for the inevitable second series. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

Loop Trump GIF

Na Seinfeld was shite. Probably a generational thing tbf. I also though the British office was shite, but I was in school when that came out so I had no frame of reference.

Never watched the American version, as American copies are almost exclusively terrible.

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Frasier was the shittest character on the show and I think he’s the only character from the previous one in the spin off. Cheers was shit too. 

It's funny but thinking about it, in the UK often after a seminal comedy the actors go on to do great things, like the Office, Royle family, Auf Wiedershen for instance. I can't think of anything decent any of the cast Cheers did except some films by Woody Harrelson maybe. Danson in Curb perhaps, but that's a cameo. Seinfeld the same, some people like Veep with Julia Louis-Dreyfus I suppose (and yes, I'm aware most on here don't rate the original). Alan Alder maybe in Mash.  Oh, and Will Smith after Prince of Belair, very much an exception though. I guess you can just retire after a hit US comedy. Okay, probably just talking shit outloud the more I think about it. :lol: Kelsey Grammer is an unfunny arsehole, we'll leave it at that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Na Seinfeld was shite. Probably a generational thing tbf. I also though the British office was shite, but I was in school when that came out so I had no frame of reference.

Never watched the American version, as American copies are almost exclusively terrible.

Urghh man, wash your mouth out, the UK office was genre defining and I can still watch it cos it just got the zeitgest right. Seinfeld has definitely aged quite badly mind.