Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

20 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

8.6 on IMDB begs to differ :lol: 

That puts it just slightly behind Oz on their scale, which granted hasn't aged all that well but was the seminal hbo serial drama that kickstarted the golden age of TV serial dramas. Also puts it slightly ahead of Northern Exposure in their ratings, I'm not having that either. 

if Glimmer Man is 5.4 on I'll give this an extra 1.5 points purely for the self-awareness. IMDB can do one. It's 6.9 on the Blastronaut scale, and that's me being kind.

• Haha 1

On 25/09/2023 at 04:05, Christmas Tree said:

8.6 on IMDB begs to differ :lol: 

Mate, rating sites are bollocks. Avatar: the last Airbender has a 9.3 on IMDB.

Now, I'm not averse to stuff that are chiefly aimed at a younger audience, but I'm not having some cartoon rated as highly as the Wire, or Chernobyl. Better than Sopranos?

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Now, I'm not averse to stuff that are chiefly aimed at a younger audience, but I'm not having some cartoon rated as highly as the Wire, or Chernobyl. Better than Sopranos?

I thought cartoons were your thing?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Sure IMDB gets a bit skewed by the younger geeky audience, but it’s a pretty good rule of thumb imo. 

I rarely watch anything below a 6 and find it a great chaff sorter.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I thought cartoons were your thing?

I enjoy some of them, but I'd never say they were on a par, or better, than actual proper tv shows like The Sopranos.

3 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Sure IMDB gets a bit skewed by the younger geeky audience, but it’s a pretty good rule of thumb imo. 

I rarely watch anything below a 6 and find it a great chaff sorter.

This. I'm pretty reliant on IMDB nowadays. You've got to adjust it acordingly to how much you like the genre, so Avatar and most that Marvel shite wouldn't even be on the radar. But it gets most things about right. My cut off is nearer 7 like, but unlike CT I have standards.

1 hour ago, Renton said:

This. I'm pretty reliant on IMDB nowadays. You've got to adjust it acordingly to how much you like the genre, so Avatar and most that Marvel shite wouldn't even be on the radar. But it gets most things about right. My cut off is nearer 7 like, but unlike CT I have standards.

Then why bother with IMDB at all? Just go off the recommendations from people whose opinions you trust?

Also, with the Marvel stuff I take the Chez approach. Sure, sometimes I want to watch some gripping, intelligent, thoughtful 'picture', but sometimes I like Boom POW Kablam.

the avengers GIF

Edited by The Fish
  • Haha 1

Mrs. F. insisted I watch The Woman in the Wall with her. 

Pleasantly surprised tbh. 

Brutal subject matter*, and Ruth Wilson playing another crazy lass ( no chebbage…boo!!). 

*It’s about the convent laundries and child trafficking 

Spouse out at her mates, eldest out, youngest went to her room after tea so for the first time in years put field of dreams on. Superb feel good film and the bit with Burt Lancaster and onwards with his dad, man...... proper blinking like mad here, mind, invisible smoke somehow all over the living room. If you don't like this film that's cool but what happened to your soul? :lol:

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Spouse out at her mates, eldest out, youngest went to her room after tea so for the first time in years put field of dreams on. Superb feel good film and the bit with Burt Lancaster and onwards with his dad, man...... proper blinking like mad here, mind, invisible smoke somehow all over the living room. If you don't like this film that's cool but what happened to your soul? :lol:

I watched it a couple of weeks after my dad died - it absolutely destroyed me :)

I should probably go back to it and watch it again really... 

• Like 1