Wise breaks silence one year after Toon-gate

Christmas Tree

NEWCASTLE UNITED'S former transfer chief Dennis Wise has finally broken his silence over his controversial reign as director of football at St James's Park.

With former boss Kevin Keegan currently in a legal battle with Mike Ashley over the dramatic chain of events at Gallowgate last September, Wise was restricted to exactly what he could say about his time on Tyneside.

But speaking for the first time publicly since he joined the Magpies he told Sky Sports he had no regrets about joining Newcastle.

He said tonight: “You are paid to do a job and you do the best that you can.

“You’re always going to get stick for everything you do.

“There are going to be circumstances.

“We dealt with it and got on with it.

“People like to blame me for most things anyway!"

Wise feels that he wasn't the only one to blame for what went wrong on Tyneside.

He said: “There are plenty of other people to take a bit of the shift.

“I don’t want to go into it to be honest.

“It’s important to keep some dignity and not shout off.

“There are a few other people that need to look at the situation as well."

But he defended the director of football model that he and Mike Ashley put in place at Newcastle in January 2008.

He said: “It could work, it works abroad it could work here.

“It’s difficult at the present moment.

“The system didn’t work and it’s as simple as that."

But Wise still wants United to get promotion, he added: “I wish them the best and I hope they get up.

“They have got some good players and I’m sure they’ll get up.”

Meanwhile Wise admitted he'd been in touch with Ashley recently.

He added: “I have spoken to him about a few weeks ago, there is no malice there.

“There is nothing bad happening.

“It’s football I’ll get on with it."

Apologies for the slightly contraversial question, but I still don't see what he did wrong?

I mean he may be a knob, but even then he was only doing his job wasn't he?

I agree, ashley is to blame for giving Wise the job and telling him to/allowing him to overrule Keegan and sign players over his head etc.

That said, the guy is and always has been a complete arsehole!

Apologies for the slightly contraversial question, but I still don't see what he did wrong?

He bought :D, but he also clearly undermined Keegan (don't believe for a second Keegan would have come back without "manager" meaning exactly that - not 1st team coach or whatever).

If you appoint someone to a board with the title of executive director (football) then that person has total responsibility for the on field results of the club. Let's cut all the shit about signing players or spotting youth talent or his role in Keegan's exit - that was the bastards title.

On that basis relegation is complete and total failure.

that half grown tw@t wise boils my piss,ashley too,lets hope the sale goes through as quick as possible and we finally get to see the back of the clueless fukwits.....WELL DONE to houghton/caulderwood and the players for playing through the off field shambles and doing there job on the pitch..........HOWAY THE LADS!!!

If you appoint someone to a board with the title of executive director (football) then that person has total responsibility for the on field results of the club. Let's cut all the shit about signing players or spotting youth talent or his role in Keegan's exit - that was the bastards title.

On that basis relegation is complete and total failure.

And for that reason, I'm out.

... or at least Keegan was.

What he done was nothing. That was the problem. Look after the youth side of things? What, without going to hardly any youth games? clever that. Plus we are led to believe signings were his responsibility. Especially the two last minute heaps of shite (Xisco etc)

Tbf to Wise (and I can't stand him) he came here because he literally couldn't believe the money he was being offered to do so. Another example of Ashley flashing the cash, whilst also being frugal, in all the wrong places at the same time.

Edited by alex

He's such a little mug. He was sat there, what he was saying was it doesn't matter who was doing that job external forces would make it impossible. He basically was saying nothing was his fault. "It dittun work aaht" aye cos you're a nob that's one of the main reasons.