Peterborough United 2-0 Newcastle United (League Cup R3)

Tom

I'm not fussed about the league cup to be honest.

It was a big game for them but I'll be happier to pick up 3 points in the league I suppose.

Im of the same opinion.

Christmas Tree.....I dont think anyone wanted us to lose, who does, but what alot of people were saying is it isnt a MASSIVE blow. There are positives to be taken from it although the performance and result isnt any of them.

Concentrate on the league for now.

No new injuries to key players in an already small squad.

Important run outs for the young lads.

Not all bad mate.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's look on the positive side chaps, this loss; ..........

Minimizes the overall number of games to be played by at least one.

Minimizes the odds on incurring injuries by at least one game.

Minimizes traveling expenses had we won and been drawn away in the next round.

Minimizes by at least one another nail-biting white knuckle match.

I won't go into what this loss maximizes ;)

ahh........Noelie. Those times under the board you criticised were really shit weren't they ?

The only reasons we EVER did well under the last lot were:

Borrowed money

Kevin Keegan

Bobby Robson

The board also wasted untold millions and appointed:

Dalglish

Gullit

Souness

Roeder

Now shush. :huh:

Guthrie what a tit.

otherwise shame to see the kids lose. Would have been nicer if we could afford to play a couple more first team players with then. But valuable experience none the less.

I'm glad we played a patchwork team and didn't suffer any more injuries.

I can't help feeling that we would have been beaten with a full strength team! I've only seen the Leicester and Plymouth games live, and the WBA game on the telly, and I am not convinced about us tbh, not convinced at all.

Best result to be honest. A cup run would of been nice but you have to be realistic and the league is a priority. Hopefully do the same in the FA cup.

Yeah, just a shame we lost it to a bunch of cockwipes like Peterborough I guess.

I wouldn't have minded a decent cup run just for the youngsters to gain some experience and confidence, but at least it shows that those forementioned youngsters are not all up to the job yet. Would have been horrible if the likes of Ashley and Wise would have taken this as a sort of justification.

I'm glad we played a patchwork team and didn't suffer any more injuries.

I can't help feeling that we would have been beaten with a full strength team! I've only seen the Leicester and Plymouth games live, and the WBA game on the telly, and I am not convinced about us tbh, not convinced at all.

nah, a full strength team and we would have been fine - they had a full strength team out. our lot looked physically smaller, when the triple substitution came on they actually looked the same size, which helps.

the kids didn't know what they were doing. vukcic in particular was terrible.

Best result to be honest. A cup run would of been nice but you have to be realistic and the league is a priority. Hopefully do the same in the FA cup.

Yeah, just a shame we lost it to a bunch of cockwipes like Peterborough I guess.

It's done now though. Gotta look forward and upwards

I wouldn't have minded a decent cup run just for the youngsters to gain some experience and confidence, but at least it shows that those forementioned youngsters are not all up to the job yet. Would have been horrible if the likes of Ashley and Wise would have taken this as a sort of justification.

Agreed.

We have a massive squad though :huh:

Yeh it fucking annoys me though.

They were singing it to the Plymouth fans man. :huh:

Aye you're a shit fan on a 800 mile round trip where you're probably going to get beat.

Spot on, it's a song that small-time fans sing unless it's absolutely apt, and we're not small time.

The first time any club sung it, was us when we lost 4-1 to Man Utd in Cardiff, and it was completely apt. I bet at least 100 nations were represented in their support that day.

Lua-Lua was decent, Ranger played well again. Tavernier showed glimpses of promise once the experienced midfield came on.

It'd be harsh to judge them on on game, but saying that, Tozer was fucking awful. Hadn't any pace, strength and couldn't read the game.

I'm a bit disappointed we lost to them, but in the grand scheme of things it's a blessing I guess. I think we were lucky those 1st teamers came through injury free as that is the most important thing. However, I echo the sentiments about Guthrie. He and Smith should have been nowhere near that team unless we wanted to win the game and if that was the case, we should have started with a full strength team and nailed them.

Doesn't excuse Guthries petulance like. The yellow for kicking the ball away was stupid.

Lua-Lua was decent, Ranger played well again. Tavernier showed glimpses of promise once the experienced midfield came on.

It'd be harsh to judge them on on game, but saying that, Tozer was fucking awful. Hadn't any pace, strength and couldn't read the game.

John Anderson was having fits at Lua Lua for not passing the ball?

Edited by donaldstott

Tozer got much better in the las half an hour

I don't see what the harm in a decent cup run is if we were only going to play kids.

Tavernier was aweful for the first part of the match, but got substantially better towards the end. The young defence took far to long to clear the ball out though, which would have cost us dearly against anyone good.

Vickic didn't do a great deal, Ranger was alright but a lot of his flickons went to nobody. Lovenkrands did absolutely nothing all game, but should have got a penalty

John Anderson was having fits at Lua Lua for not passing the ball?

He did get his head stuck down a few times, but we'd have lost possession if we passed it anyway. I also heard someone having a right go at Raylor- even though he was playing on his wrong foot! I don't recall anyone else putting in a decent cross all night.

Our passing was generally abysmal- repeated low cross-field balls that were always going to be cut out and a total lack of incision in the final third. They pressed hard and we simply got in each others way until sooner or later someone made a mistake.

I would highlight Lovenkrands as a particular disappointment last night. Ranger and S Taylor our better players for me.

I thought Tim Krul was excellent last night. Him and Steven Taylor kept it respectable. The first penalty shout was as stonewall as you can get. The second, not so much but could easily have been given.

Tozer, Donaldson and Vuckic did very little. Tavernier got better as the night went on but seemded to get caught out of position a lot and was nowhere to be seen for the second goal. Lovenkrands was anonymous and Guthrie was stupid to get himself sent off. Ranger struggled with no service and no support. Raylor looked ok in parts but was equally as guilty of giving away the ball cheaply as the rest of the team. LuaLua was doing ok and was unlucky to be taken off as he was at least putting some effort in. Smith and Nolan put in our first proper tackles after they came on, before that we lacked any real determination to do anything.

All in all, a dissapointing night but credit to the fantastic support. How we managed to still clap the team off after the abysmal performance I'll never know but it goes to show that we have the best fans in the world. Hopefully the team will respond and do what's required at the weekend.

I was there lastnight and it was disappointing, they where all over us for pretty much the entire game, the girl in front of me even turned round and said it was like peterborough had extra players as they moved the ball round so easily

Guthrie is a knob head for losing his cool

I thought Tim Krul was excellent last night. Him and Steven Taylor kept it respectable. The first penalty shout was as stonewall as you can get. The second, not so much but could easily have been given.

Krul's kicking was pretty poor generally.

first penalty was definite.

Lua Lua was putting some effort in but that means nothing if you can't cross or pass the ball to someone in the same shirt.

Smith made the first proper defensive header of the night when he came on...

I won't go into what this loss maximizes :huh:

ahh........Noelie. Those times under the board you criticised were really shit weren't they ?

ahh........LeazesMag. Pray show me my criticism of the board....any board...that as you say I criticised. Get your miner's hat on and start digging.

I won't go into what this loss maximizes :spit:

ahh........LeazesMag. Pray show me my criticism of the board....any board...that as you say I criticised. Get your miner's hat on and start digging.

If you said it, he'll have it!!

I reckon Leazes has a file on everyone on this board containing anything of any note - especially if criticizing the old board :lol: . If you even misspell Shepherd, it goes in the file.

Disappointing game with some really sloppy play but i guess it was expected with the amount of inexperience in the team.

At times it was frustrating to watch, and would have at least liked one goal back as a consolation to lift our spirits. Still its hard not to think if we would've had Geremi, Smith & Nolan on from the start as opposed to later on in the game, the whole game would be a different story, same goes to the obvious penalty shouts but we were outclassed and have to thank Krul for not making it utterly embarrassing.

However as usual there was some fantastic support which led to a fantastic night overall which i thoroughly enjoyed so i'm happy. :lol: