Interest in Beckford?

wykikitoon

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got took off at the weekend and apparently the whole of Bell End Road cheered. Apparently looked mighty pissed off and went straight down the tunnel.

Please, please dont fucking go for this useless cunt Haughton

Been from Leeds I know a lot of Leeds fan and I've seen them play a fair few times. With regards to Beckford, he's an excellent striker, at League 1 level - I'm not convinced he'd be able to make the step up to be honest. His attitude is the problem, he thinks he's better than he is - he'll turn into a Clinton Morrison if he decides to drop Leeds and search for bigger and better things, he will get found out.

We can do better than Beckford.

Been from Leeds I know a lot of Leeds fan and I've seen them play a fair few times. With regards to Beckford, he's an excellent striker, at League 1 level - I'm not convinced he'd be able to make the step up to be honest. His attitude is the problem, he thinks he's better than he is - he'll turn into a Clinton Morrison if he decides to drop Leeds and search for bigger and better things, he will get found out.

Smog Monsters are after him according to reports. Let them waste their money.

Smog Monsters are after him according to reports. Let them waste their money.

Fucking hope so

He does seem a bit full of himself.

If he is cheap he does give us a different option up top.

I would rather have Xisco up front man.

He is shite! He needs 10 chances to even hit the target! Thats against ultra WANK defences!

He is lazy, greedy and thinks he is bigger than the club.

Beckford tops Hughton’s wanted list

MARLON Harewood has outlined his desire to return to Newcastle for the second half of the season, but the striker’s future is likely to hinge on whether the Magpies can tie up a deal for Leeds United forward Jermaine Beckford.

Harewood made the final appearance of his loan deal from Aston Villa in Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Sheffield Wednesday, and while the 30- year-old is hoping to be back on Tyneside at the start of next month, Newcastle boss Chris Hughton currently regards him as a second choice behind Beckford.

Newcastle officials are understood to have been in touch with their counterparts at Elland Road last week to outline the club’s interest in Leeds’ leading goalscorer, who scored twice in his side’s 3-1 win over Hartlepool at the weekend.

Beckford, who is out of contract at the end of the season, has consistently refused to sign a new deal in West Yorkshire, and while Simon Grayson took him off the transfer list in the summer, the Leeds boss is now resigned to losing his star striker’s services next month.

Newcastle are far from the only club to harbour an interest, but the Magpies made tentative inquiries about Beckford’s position in the close season, and the Londoner is known to be keen on a move to the North-East.

His contractual status means he will not be an expensive option – sources in Yorkshire expect a bid of around £1.5m to be accepted at Elland Road, and Beckford’s current wages are understood to be less than £15,000-a-week and with Mike Ashley promising to make a limited transfer budget available next month, Hughton is expected to table a formal offer in the opening week of the transfer window.

Beckford’s arrival would scupper Harewood’s hopes of a return to St James’, as Hughton will only be signing one striker given a need to also reinforce his side’s defence.

To further complicate matters, Aston Villa boss Martin O’Neill is reluctant to allow Harewood to leave on a second loan deal, preferring instead to sell the striker permanently for a fee.

That could also bring Newcastle’s interest to an end, as Ashley is unlikely to sanction a significant outlay on a 30- year-old who would have little or no sell-on value.

Nevertheless, Harewood remains hopeful that he will be able to contribute to the Magpies’ promotion push in the second half of the season.

Saturday’s appearance was his 15th in a Newcastle shirt, and his tally of five goals represents a decent enough return given his slow start following an ankle injury.

“I’d love to come back until the end of the season or longer, and finish the job,”

said Harewood, who cost Villa £4m when he signed from West Ham in 2007. “But it’s up to the gaffer if he wants me and the two clubs to sort it out now.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen, no-one has told me anything yet. Players don’t really get involved in that – you never really know until it actually happens, so I’ll just have to wait and see.

“But my time at Newcastle has been unbelievable. I’ve really enjoyed it, the fans have been great, and the lads have been terrific. I feel I’ve got better with every game.”

Hughton is known to have been impressed with Harewood’s efforts, and if a deal cannot be agreed for Beckford, the Magpies manager will make a renewed approach to Villa in an attempt to engineer a return for the Hampstead- born marksman.

Either way, Hughton is determined to ensure that any lingering uncertainty does not wreck the stability and spirit that has been engendered in the opening half of the season.

The transfer window officially opens on Friday, and Newcastle will attempt to conduct their business as quickly as possible.

“We have options, but the main thing I want to avoid is any of the situations dragging on deep into January,” said Hughton. “My biggest hope is that we can put everything to bed early.

“We’re aware of the situation, and we know we have decisions to make. We’re in the process of making those, and I’m confident it won’t be something that becomes a protracted issue.”

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/foo..._s_wanted_list/?

Beckford tops Hughton’s wanted list

MARLON Harewood has outlined his desire to return to Newcastle for the second half of the season, but the striker’s future is likely to hinge on whether the Magpies can tie up a deal for Leeds United forward Jermaine Beckford.

Harewood made the final appearance of his loan deal from Aston Villa in Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Sheffield Wednesday, and while the 30- year-old is hoping to be back on Tyneside at the start of next month, Newcastle boss Chris Hughton currently regards him as a second choice behind Beckford.

Newcastle officials are understood to have been in touch with their counterparts at Elland Road last week to outline the club’s interest in Leeds’ leading goalscorer, who scored twice in his side’s 3-1 win over Hartlepool at the weekend.

Beckford, who is out of contract at the end of the season, has consistently refused to sign a new deal in West Yorkshire, and while Simon Grayson took him off the transfer list in the summer, the Leeds boss is now resigned to losing his star striker’s services next month.

Newcastle are far from the only club to harbour an interest, but the Magpies made tentative inquiries about Beckford’s position in the close season, and the Londoner is known to be keen on a move to the North-East.

His contractual status means he will not be an expensive option – sources in Yorkshire expect a bid of around £1.5m to be accepted at Elland Road, and Beckford’s current wages are understood to be less than £15,000-a-week and with Mike Ashley promising to make a limited transfer budget available next month, Hughton is expected to table a formal offer in the opening week of the transfer window.

Beckford’s arrival would scupper Harewood’s hopes of a return to St James’, as Hughton will only be signing one striker given a need to also reinforce his side’s defence.

To further complicate matters, Aston Villa boss Martin O’Neill is reluctant to allow Harewood to leave on a second loan deal, preferring instead to sell the striker permanently for a fee.

That could also bring Newcastle’s interest to an end, as Ashley is unlikely to sanction a significant outlay on a 30- year-old who would have little or no sell-on value.

Nevertheless, Harewood remains hopeful that he will be able to contribute to the Magpies’ promotion push in the second half of the season.

Saturday’s appearance was his 15th in a Newcastle shirt, and his tally of five goals represents a decent enough return given his slow start following an ankle injury.

“I’d love to come back until the end of the season or longer, and finish the job,”

said Harewood, who cost Villa £4m when he signed from West Ham in 2007. “But it’s up to the gaffer if he wants me and the two clubs to sort it out now.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen, no-one has told me anything yet. Players don’t really get involved in that – you never really know until it actually happens, so I’ll just have to wait and see.

“But my time at Newcastle has been unbelievable. I’ve really enjoyed it, the fans have been great, and the lads have been terrific. I feel I’ve got better with every game.”

Hughton is known to have been impressed with Harewood’s efforts, and if a deal cannot be agreed for Beckford, the Magpies manager will make a renewed approach to Villa in an attempt to engineer a return for the Hampstead- born marksman.

Either way, Hughton is determined to ensure that any lingering uncertainty does not wreck the stability and spirit that has been engendered in the opening half of the season.

The transfer window officially opens on Friday, and Newcastle will attempt to conduct their business as quickly as possible.

“We have options, but the main thing I want to avoid is any of the situations dragging on deep into January,” said Hughton. “My biggest hope is that we can put everything to bed early.

“We’re aware of the situation, and we know we have decisions to make. We’re in the process of making those, and I’m confident it won’t be something that becomes a protracted issue.”

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/foo..._s_wanted_list/?

Would be nice!

Fair play to Harewood for getting on with the job after getting stick from the fans. Still not someone I want to sign permanently but it speaks well of his character that he wants to come back.

Beckford, still haven't seen him play. He's in the goals in League One, and supposedly has some pace which our strikers lack, and at 1.5 mil wouldn't exactly be a lot of money to blow on a gamble. We could do worse.

I'm in two minds about Beckford, all the Leeds fans I've spoken to have said he's only really been any good in their current league and didn't get off the bench much when they were in the Championship. That said he was younger then, I just question how much of a star he thinks he is as to how much effort he'd put in and whether he could cut it at a higher level. If the standard of football drops as much between the Championship and league one as it does in comparison between the Prem and the Championship then he may struggle (though I guess that can happen to anyone working their way up the leagues).

Chris Hughton: I want Jermaine Beckford

Dec 29 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

CHRIS HUGHTON has admitted he is keen on bringing long-term Newcastle target Jermaine Beckford to St James’ Park next month.

And the Chronicle understands that out-of-favour Cardiff City star Michael Chopra is also being considered for a shock return to Gallowgate.

Marlon Harewood has been pushed to the back of the Toon manager’s pecking order due to Aston Villa’s insistence on a £250,000 loan fee to go with his £28,000 per week wages.

A move to Newcastle for Beckford would be no major surprise as the player has been on United’s shortlist since his former Leeds boss Dennis Wise was controversially installed as transfer chief back in January 2008.

And although ex-boss Kevin Keegan rarely agreed with the little Londoner’s taste for players, he was keen to sign the prolific Elland Road star.

The Chronicle first reported United’s interest in Beckford during the ill-fated KK era in May 2008. However, he has stayed on the Magpies’ radar, and both Joe Kinnear and Alan Shearer were interested in bringing the 26-year-old to Tyneside during their stints in charge.

Hughton told the Chronicle today: “Jermaine Beckford is one of a few players that will, of course, be of interest to us.

“In the work that we’ve done over the last few weeks and months, there have been numerous names that have been thrown at us.

“We have to look at all the options we have, but, certainly, Jermaine’s a player that will come into those options.”

Chopra wants to return to the North East and was dropped for Cardiff’s astonishing 4-4 draw at Peterborough United yesterday.

The former England Under-21 international quit Tyneside in 2006 and has been a success in three stints at Cardiff City.

Chopra, who also made 39 appearances for Sunderland after becoming such a hit at Cardiff, however, wouldn’t come on the cheap after the Bluebirds paid £4m for his services last season.

And United may have to stump up a hefty sum to secure one of the Championship’s predatory strikers. However, cash-strapped Cardiff will be open to offers.

Hughton says: “It’s no secret that we want to replace what we’ve had, which is a centre-forward and a centre-half.

“The two players – Zurab and Marlon – have gone back, and we have to make decisions on those two, and look at the options we have.

“At this moment, we’re still making decisions, and weighing up the options we have, and nothing’s been finalised yet.”

One player that Hughton says he is not chasing, though, is Rangers star Kris Boyd.

Hughton has already dismissed talk of Boyd coming to Tyneside during the January window and was mystified by fresh speculation linking him with the Ibrox star.

He said: “That’s absolute news to me. I’m not aware of anything there.”

Hughton has assured fans that he will be working round the clock during the window to make sure the job of promotion is complete.

He said: “There will be players that become available who we thought wouldn’t be available.”

£1.5m is the fee being banded about and I think his contract is up in summer.

I would personally look at Lee Novak or Jordan Rhodes from Huddersfield if we are going to gamble as they aren't quite as old as Beckford.