General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the main problem with his anecdotes is the careful changes to the stories to make them more effective (someone else posted that he was in Hull last August, not 'the other day' as he claimed), i.e. basically he's a rich man's Scott Templeton*.

*For those of you who haven't seen The Wire, he's a lying ruthless cunt.

And in this day and age of the internet, it's piss easy to find out that they're not correct so end up having the opposite effect.

I think the use of anecdote to promote an idea of a broken society is shit trick to pull on people.

It's ringing a bell with me from a comedy show with maybe a bishop character having a catchphrase along the lines of "I was taling to a man today" - Kenny Everett? Anyone remember?

Sounds a bit like the spoof "pause for thought" Mark and Lard used to do in the mornings.

The tories are not only using made up anecdotes to promote the comcept of "broken Britain", the phrase itself is lifted verbatum from a Sun front page headline. The former editor of the notw,Andy Coulson, is now head of communications for the tories. Murdoch has got his own placeman at the heart of the tory machine now, and he wants to destroy the BBC, something Cameron has mildly alluded to recently. The whole thing fuckin stinks. Murdoch is going to have as much access to the PM if Cameron gets in as the union leaders had in the 70s, in and out of no 10 every week. The thought of Murdoch having an even more significant influence on government then he does at the moment makes me feel ill ;)

Good point about Murdoch. Fuck that bastard, I'm going to cancel my Sky Sports subscription in protest tonight at around 10 pm. <_<

In all seriousness though, it's worrying. The loss of the BBC and the further growth of Sky is a horrific prospect, let alone the direct influence that Ozzie cunt will have on our government.

Murdoch is evil basically.

Our latest daily polling figures for The Sun (fieldwork 17th-18th April) are:

Liberal Democrat 33%

Conservative 32%

Labour 26%

Others 8%

http://today.yougov.co.uk/politics/latest-...ention-18-april

How have the sun interpreted that?

WARNING AS LIBS LEAD POLL RACE

VOTERS last night rejected the Lib Dems' potty policies - despite the party taking a shock lead in the race to win the General Election.

A YouGov opinion poll for The Sun put support for Nick Clegg's party at a staggering 33 per cent.

It is the first time the former Liberals have been in the lead in a general election race for 104 years.

The Conservatives lag one point behind at 32 per cent, while Labour have tanked on just 26 per cent.

But in the same opinion poll, barely half those asked said they knew what Mr Clegg stood for.

And quizzed on the top ten plans put forward by his party, six of them were given a resounding thumbs down.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...-poll-race.html

;)

Edited by Happy Face

I think the use of anecdote to promote an idea of a broken society is shit trick to pull on people.

It's ringing a bell with me from a comedy show with maybe a bishop character having a catchphrase along the lines of "I was taling to a man today" - Kenny Everett? Anyone remember?

Sounds a bit like the spoof "pause for thought" Mark and Lard used to do in the mornings.

The tories are not only using made up anecdotes to promote the comcept of "broken Britain", the phrase itself is lifted verbatum from a Sun front page headline. The former editor of the notw,Andy Coulson, is now head of communications for the tories. Murdoch has got his own placeman at the heart of the tory machine now, and he wants to destroy the BBC, something Cameron has mildly alluded to recently. The whole thing fuckin stinks. Murdoch is going to have as much access to the PM if Cameron gets in as the union leaders had in the 70s, in and out of no 10 every week. The thought of Murdoch having an even more significant influence on government then he does at the moment makes me feel ill <_<

Good point about Murdoch. Fuck that bastard, I'm going to cancel my Sky Sports subscription in protest tonight at around 10 pm. :icon_lol:

In all seriousness though, it's worrying. The loss of the BBC and the further growth of Sky is a horrific prospect, let alone the direct influence that Ozzie cunt will have on our government.

Why would any one man want that much power and influence over as much of the worlds population as possible?....

He doesnt need weapons or the threat of violence to make people see his side of things, he just appeals to the worst side of people's natures, and the weak and feeble minded repeat his catchphrases like sheep; "Broken Britain", "feral kids roaming the streets", "Freddie Star ate my Hamster" ;)

The thing is, he likes to back a winner. As Labour lurched to the right to make itslef electable he jumped on the New Labour bandwagon. When Brown was looking dead in the water last year he thought Dave was the man. I'd fuckin love it if Brown got another 5 years just to spite that fuckin meglomainiac . I think its largely irrlevent who does get in, we're all going to be fucked anyway :icon_lol:

For once Parky I agree.

Looks like it might go tits up for the tories still, they're clearly rattled. ;)

Aye, they're shitting it over the Lib Dems atm.

For once Parky I agree.

Looks like it might go tits up for the tories still, they're clearly rattled. ;)

Using the election seat calculator on the BBC, Labour are now projected as the largest party:

Tories: 239

Labour: 291

Lib Dems: 91

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/ele...010/8609989.stm

For once Parky I agree.

Ideally the Lib dems will split the Tory vote and sanity will prevail. Not that Labour are intrinsically better at Governmenting as such, but Osborne and Cameron are basically muppets.

For once Parky I agree.

Go tits up for all of us if the Lib Dems get in. Just cos cleggy looks normal ( in a weird Cliff Richard sort of way), don't forget all those mad ones are still lurking out of camera shot.

There's that crazy Simon Hughes ffs just itching to get his hands on the nukes and blow us all up.

For once Parky I agree.

Go tits up for all of us if the Lib Dems get in. Just cos cleggy looks normal ( in a weird Cliff Richard sort of way), don't forget all those mad ones are still lurking out of camera shot.

this

For once Parky I agree.

There's that crazy Simon Hughes ffs just itching to get his hands on the nukes and blow us all up.

Almost impossible for the Lib Dems to become the majority party - they'd need a 45% share of the votes or something. A Lib-Lab pact is looking increasingly likely though - many people I know are already planning to vote tactically to keep out the tories.

And why is this? Because despite a massive recession, and despite their backing by most the media, the public have no appetite for the Conservatives. <_<

Does Cameron strike you as a calm man under pressure? We'll soon find out.

many people I know are already planning to vote tactically to keep out the tories.

I keep getting leaflets from the liberals telling me only they can prevent a Tory victory in my seat - I looked at the figures from the last two elections and it's a blatant fucking lie (which they tried last time) but the boundaries have changed and it's now pretty much true.

I'm loathe to vote Liberal but I'm actually starting to think of voting to get the Tory twat out - Its taken the thought of them actually getting into power to rekindle my hatred.

Guest Barrack Road

Lib Dems ahead by 1 point in the opinion polls today, first time in ages. You can get 16/1 for them winning it too.

The Clegg bubble will probably burst soon enough. The first debate was always going to be his strongest suit - the element of surprise/newness, plus floating voters are more likely to trust the Lib Dems on matters of domestic policy than the positions on Europe and the economy that he's going to have to outline at the next two debates. (Although he does still have their opposition to Iraq in the face of Labour/Tory enthusiasm to fall back on, I suppose.)

On the other hand, it's unprecedented for the third party to be ahead/level in the polls this close to a general election, so if they can properly harness that mood swing and keep it buoyant through the other side of this coming weekend, say, then who knows.

I think it's more down to Cameron and his team though. If they can get their act together, there's still a very decent chance the Tories will be the biggest party after the election. If not, then Lib-Lab looks inevitable - although I do wonder if Clegg really wants to tie his colours to the mast of "another five years of Brown" quite so readily, as it could ruin a lot of the goodwill the Lib Dems will have gained during the campaign, particularly by painting themselves as the alternative to Brown...

Lib Dems ahead by 1 point in the opinion polls today, first time in ages. You can get 16/1 for them winning it too.

Nee chance though.

Caulkin on Twitter 24 minutes ago

Who says #Nufc fans have no clout? NUST in talks with chief whip Nick Brown, sports minister Gerry Sutcliffe.

Caulkin on Twitter 17 minutes ago

Nick Brown's mobile ringtone? 'Local Hero'. Did it go off during meeting? Yes, of course.Football equivalent of kissing a baby!Brill.

;)

Guest Barrack Road

Nee chance though.

Aye, they're like Norwich in 92/93. They were yellow too.

;)

Go on Boris lad!!

"Nick Clegg to win the General Election? Has someone put something in the water supply?

The current madness for all things Lib Dem cannot last. Nick Clegg will soon be gone with the wind, argues Boris Johnson.

By Boris Johnson

It must have been a couple of years ago that I was having dinner with the great Max Hastings, former editor of this paper, and he was being so gloomy about Conservative prospects that I scented a financial opportunity. Tell you what, I said, let's have a bet. A thousand pounds says the Tories will win the next election. How about that?

"Done!" said my old mentor, with the wolfish gleam of one taking candy from a baby. And from that moment on, of course, the Tories started to soar in the polls. Gordon Brown lurched from one disaster to the next. The British ruling class – the BBC, the NHS senior managers, the university vice-chancellors, those kinds of people – began to make the big subconscious assumption that there would be a change of government in 2010.

At last the matter came to seem so settled that Max decided to run up the white flag. When David Cameron started to record poll leads of 20 per cent, a cheque arrived in the post for a thousand pounds. I promptly cashed it, and (to my shame) forgot to thank Max for being both so sporting and so realistic. It was big of him to acknowledge the way history was moving and even bigger to cough up before it was strictly necessary to do so. It was generous of him to take a wager, during a fairly bibulous dinner, on a fourth successive Labour victory – and I pray, as he looks at the current state of the polls, that Max isn't suddenly starting to get his hopes up.

It would only be human, after all, to start to wonder. Will he win that grand after all? Will this amazing and ludicrous burst of Cleggophilia keep the Tories from government? Will I have to cancel the summer holidays and sell the car to pay back my old chum Hastings? Will I hell. My bet remains quite safe. I am certain that the Tories will win, and that the current fantasy of a Liberal Democrat resurgence is the biggest load of media-driven nonsense since the funeral of Diana.

Watching that debate, I had the clear impression that Cameron aced every question. His answers were clear, concise and knowledgeable, and in my focus group of 12- to 16-year-olds he was the overwhelming winner. "David Cameron knows more than the others," said the 12-year-old, "and everything he says is true!"

Gordon Brown seemed stale and deeply unconvincing in his core assertion, that it was necessary to keep wasting exactly the same amount of money in order not to stall the recovery.

As for Clegg, I remember thinking that it was indeed a historic debate – the moment when the idea of a third force in British politics finally shrivelled under the Manchester TV lights. He was by far the worst, with many of his answers seeming to be semi-masticated versions of something Cameron had already said. And so you can imagine my amazement when those polls started to come in, and the news that the punters overwhelmingly scored it for Cleggie. It was one of those times when there seems to be only one solution to the problems of British politics, and that is to dissolve the electorate and summon a new one.

What has happened to us all, when serious papers can start raving about "Prime Minister Clegg"? Has someone put something in the water supply? Has some sulphur yellow cloud descended imperceptibly from Iceland and addled our brains? These are Lib Dems we are talking about! They say anything to anyone. They are not so much two-faced as positively polycephalous. They go around every university campus promising to abolish "Labour's unfair tuition fees" – while dear Cleggie tells his party conference that this policy, this cardinal Lib Dem policy, would cost £12 billion and that the country can't afford it. In the north of England you will find plenty of Lib Dem literature extolling their "mansion tax", a proposal on which they remain deafeningly silent in places like Richmond and Kingston, where it would mean a vast new tax on people who happen to live in overvalued houses.

Everybody treats Vince Cable as a semi-holy Mahatma Gandhi of British politics, because he is supposed in some way to have anticipated the financial crisis. Actually his most notable recommendation before the crisis was that Britain should join the euro – a move that would gravely have worsened our current position by leaving us in a Greek-style straitjacket.

What crouton of substance did Clegg offer last Thursday, in the opaque minestrone of waffle? He wants to get rid of Trident. Great! So Lib Dem foreign policy means voluntarily resigning from the UN Security Council, abandoning all pretensions to world influence, and sub-contracting our nuclear deterrent to France! They are a bunch of euro-loving road-hump fetishists who are attempting like some defective vacuum cleaner to suck and blow at the same time; and the worst of it is that if you do vote Lib Dem in the demented belief that there could ever be such a thing as a Lib Dem government, you won't get Prime Minister Clegg. You'll get Prime Minister Gordon Brown, for five more holepunch-hurling years, because the Lib Dems almost always vote with Labour, and in my years in Parliament I can't remember a single moment when they opposed a Labour measure to expand state spending or state control.

I can't think of anything worse for this country than some great ghastly soggy Lib-Lab coalition, dripping with piety and political correctness and unable to take the decisions we need for fear of offending the vast hordes of public sector special interest groups they collectively represent.

That is why the current madness cannot last. The Lib Dems are everywhere today, like the orange spores of an exploded puffball. Next week they will be gone with the wind. Clegg is the beneficiary of cunning Labour spin, bigging up the third party in order to take the shine off the Tories. But when people understand that a vote for Clegg is a vote for Brown, they will stay their hands, and they will see that it is only by voting Tory that they can give this country the change it needs. That is still my prediction, and if Max disagrees, we can always increase the stake."

Only Boris could think gloating over a £1000 bet would win voters during the worst recession since his party were in power.

;) They're well rattled like.