General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Slightly off-topic but Meenzer - does your dad have a Santa Claus beard? If so then I keep seeing him on the local news with regards to various lercal political habdabs!

;) That'll likely be him, aye. Or at least he'd developed one when I last saw him at Christmas (appropriately enough). I think it's a very Lib Dem way of having a second mid-life crisis. :icon_lol:

I was looking for a family resemblance but there was too much hair <_<

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is this new style of "debate".

Its more like Britains got talent than question time and all about soundbites rather than policy.

The clueless public will have Clegg as their favourite and be wanting him to win the "grand final".

Boris is great btw

It was Cameron who originally wanted the Live debates though wasn't it? Bet he regrets it now.

He wasn't as keen as Christmas "Cant wait for the leaders debate" Tree though....

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...mp;#entry730894

;)

Textbook.

Nowt wrong with that :icon_lol: I like political fights and Clegg won the event simples.

Its not my fault Cameron is a smarm meister and tried to play it to serious.

It's pretty funny you were so excited about the debates last week, but now you think they're everything that's wrong with politics.

If you think Cameron's a smarm meister, why you gonna vote for him?

Definitely not <_< Thoroughly enjoyed them and looking forward to the next two.

I will vote conservative because if I dont, the kitten dies. :icon_lol:

what are the alternatives to pc mad woolly do gooder immigration supporting benefits mad Labour and selfish, greedy and out of touch Tories in this election ?

Same as any other election then.

Unless you vote for Lib Dems, BNP or UKIP

what are the alternatives to pc mad woolly do gooder immigration supporting benefits mad Labour and selfish, greedy and out of touch Tories in this election ?

You think the Lib Dems are less 'pc mad woolly do gooder immigration supporting benefits mad' than Labour? ;)

You think the Lib Dems are less 'pc mad woolly do gooder immigration supporting benefits mad' than Labour? ;)

fair point. Just pointing out that there is not really any half decent party to vote for. Having said, half the world would kill to vote so we should all vote. Just making a soap box comment there.........

It appears half the World is prepared to kill to prevent voting as well mind.

indeed. You are talking about the half that considers women should not have a vote ;)

Don't know if this has been posted (ie can't be bothered to back and check):

Louis Theroux claims he was Nick Clegg’s ‘fag’ at public school

Louis Theroux, the documentary-maker, has claimed he used to wake Nick Clegg up in the morning when they were at boarding school together.

The television presenter’s claim that he was the Liberal Democrat leader’s “fag” at Westminster School has led to renewed focus on the latter’s privileged upbringing.

Until recently, much had been made in the election campaign of David Cameron’s well-off family and his elite education at Eton and Oxford.

But Mr Clegg enjoyed an equally comfortable start in life, as the son of a successful banker, Nicholas Clegg, who is now chairman of United Trust Bank.

The MP’s maternal grandfather had been president of ABN, the Dutch bank. Despite this, Mr Clegg regularly criticises the “greedy” bankers who triggered the worldwide financial crisis and wants a 10 per cent tax on profits in the financial sector.

His paternal grandmother was Baroness Kira von Engelhardt, a descendant of an Attorney General in the Imperial Russian senate.

Mr Clegg grew up in the picturesque commuter town of Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, but his family also owns a large chalet in the Alps and a chateau in France.

He was sent to school at Westminster School in London where fees for boarders are now £28,344 a year.

One of his peers was Mr Theroux - best known for his BBC2 documentary series, Weird Weekends – who claims that he used to wait upon the politician every morning and bring him a newspaper.

Mr Theroux said that he had been Mr Clegg’s “fag”, in the old-fashioned system formerly widespread in public schools whereby younger pupils had to act as servants for older ones, waking him up in the morning during term time and presenting him with a newspaper.

Speaking on BBC’s The One Show on Friday night, Mr Theroux claimed: “People sleep in different ways and with Nick Clegg the thing was that he was a very deep sleeper. I would bend over him and kind of push him.”

But Mr Clegg said: “I have no recollection of Louis Theroux waking me up in the morning.”

The pair also went on an American road trip together, along with Mr Theroux’s elder brother Marcel, during which they ran over a bird.

In a newspaper article published last year about his “best holiday”, Mr Clegg replied: “For a mixture of fun and adventure, it would be a trip with Marcel and Louis Theroux, driving across the States when we were 19 or 20. We set off from Boston and drove all the way down south, from campsite to campsite. It was fantastic. We had great adventures - from punctures in the Blue Ridge Mountains, to getting into alligator-infested waters near New Orleans, to running over a roadrunner in Arizona, to open-air rock concerts in Texas. My biggest impression was that it was the first time, as a European, I felt that intimidating sense of space.”

It was while on an exchange trip to Munich aged 16 that Mr Clegg claims he set fire to two greenhouses full of cacti in a “drunken prank”.

Mr Clegg also went to a leading university, studying archaeology and anthropology at Robinson College, Cambridge, where he starred opposite Helena Bonham Carter in a student play.

After graduating he worked as a journalist then joined the European Commission in 1994, becoming an MEP for the East Midlands five years later.

It was while in Brussels that he met Miriam González Durántez, the daughter of a Spanish senator, who is now a successful international lawyer as well as his wife and the mother of their three sons.

They live in Putney, a leafy area of south-west London, while he also owns a constituency house in Sheffield Hallam on which he claims parliamentary allowances.

:: Tale of the tape

Name: Nicholas William Peter Clegg

Brought up in: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks.

School: Caldicott prep school; Westminster School, current boarding fees £28,344.

University: Archaeology and anthropology, Robinson College, Cambridge. Founded 1981.

Parents: Father: Nicholas Clegg, son of Russian-born baroness, now chairman of United Trust Bank. Mother: Hermance Clegg, nee van den Wall Bake, teacher of children with special education needs. She was interned by the Japanese during Second World War.

Property empire: Main home in Putney, southwest London, expenses-funded constituency house in Sheffield.

Wife: Miriam González Durántez, international lawyer and daughter of Spanish senator.

First job: Ski instructor in Austria.

Sport: Skiing, tennis, walking.

Clubs: Survival International.

Children: Antonio, eight; Alberto, five; and Miguel, one.

Religion: Atheist, but his wife is a Roman Catholic and their children are being raised in her faith.

Football: Does not support a team.

Name: David William Donald Cameron

Brought up in: Peasemore, Berkshire.

School: Heatherdown Prep, where Princes Andrew and Edward were educated; Eton College, current boarding fees £28,851.

University: First class degree, Philosophy, Politics and Economics, Brasenose College, Oxford. Founded 1509.

Parents: Father, Ian Cameron, stockbroker and estate agent, Mother, Mary Cameron nee Mount, daughter of Sir William Mount, 2nd Baronet, magistrate.

Property empire: Main home near Notting Hill, west London. Second home, where he claimed on expenses for wisteria-clearing, in Witney, Oxon, his constituency.

Wife: Samantha Cameron, creative director of upmarket stationery firm, Smythson of Bond Street. Daughter of a baronet.

First job: Researcher in the parliamentary office of his godfather, Tim Rathbone, a Conservative MP.

Sport: Running, cycling, tennis.

Clubs: A member of the Bullingdon drinking club and the Octagon dining society at university.

Children: Ivan, died age six in 2008. Nancy, six; Arthur, four. Another baby due in September.

Religion: Church of England, attends St Mary Abbot’s Church near his London home.

Football: Aston Villa.

Having said, half the world would kill to vote so we should all vote.

I agree with LeazesMag.

Indeed. Should be compulsory IMO.

I agree with LeazesMag.

Should it fuck.

I believe it should... even if it means there has to be an option for 'none of the above' The turnout in some recent General Elections has been fucking abysmal.

I agree with LeazesMag.

Should it fuck.

I believe it should... even if it means there has to be an option for 'none of the above' The turnout in some recent General Elections has been fucking abysmal.

Do you really want idiots turning up and randomly ticking a box? Or voting Lib Dem because they saw it on the front of the Sun that he did well in a TV debate? People should only vote if they feel compelled to, I don't want the balance of power being decided by some the no-nowt pricks who are only voting because they've been forced to.