General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Having said, half the world would kill to vote so we should all vote.

I agree with LeazesMag.

Indeed. Should be compulsory IMO.

Should it fuck.

I believe it should... even if it means there has to be an option for 'none of the above' The turnout in some recent General Elections has been fucking abysmal.

Do you really want idiots turning up and randomly ticking a box? Or voting Lib Dem because they saw it on the front of the Sun that he did well in a TV debate? People should only vote if they feel compelled to, I don't want the balance of power being decided by some the no-nowt pricks who are only voting because they've been forced to.

maybe the majority of the voting population aren't as idiotic as you think ? That would make you an idiot if you think this, wouldn't you agree ?

You clearly don't appreciate the value of actually having a vote, which doesn't make you very intelligent and as aware as you think you are yourself.

Most people will see the context of what I said. If you do not vote, then shame on you, when intelligent people in many countries don't have a choice in the matter.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there should be compulsive voting to be honest. You might get people taking a further 1% interest in politics which would be a 100% increase from the status quo.

The aussies on the board could clarify but don't they get fined if they don't vote?

maybe the majority of the voting population aren't as idiotic as you think ? That would make you an idiot if you think this, wouldn't you agree ?

You clearly don't appreciate the value of actually having a vote, which doesn't make you very intelligent and as aware as you think you are yourself.

Most people will see the context of what I said. If you do not vote, then shame on you, when intelligent people in many countries don't have a choice in the matter.

Ok, three points to address here.

Firstly, I did not say the majority of the voting population were idiots, I said that there are some idiots who would only be voting if forced to. Are you denying the existence of idiots in the UK?

I don't appreciate the value of the vote? My entire point is that I don't want people who don't appreciate the value of the vote being forced to do so.

And lastly, where did I say I wasn't going to vote?

But aye, apart from that you're spot on. ;)

Edited by ewerk

I agree with ewerk - if people can't motivate themselves to vote then the worst thing we can do is force them to. I'd also say that they are idiots - not in the sense they are necessarily unintelligent, but in the sense that they simply don't 'get' what democracy is about and aren't witholding the values of our country. I'd also they they literally have no right to complain about any aspect of the governance of our country.

I mean, what effort is it to vote anyway? Basically people are just being lazy bastards.

I agree with ewerk - if people can't motivate themselves to vote then the worst thing we can do is force them to. I'd also say that they are idiots - not in the sense they are necessarily unintelligent, but in the sense that they simply don't 'get' what democracy is about and aren't witholding the values of our country. I'd also they they literally have no right to complain about any aspect of the governance of our country.

I mean, what effort is it to vote anyway? Basically people are just being lazy bastards.

While I agree with some of these sentiments its also not surprising that a lot of people just have no real interest in politics.

I know we can demonise them on here to the holier than thou Labour, the evil Tories and the well meaning but slightly mad Liberals, but to the average Joe there aint a lot of real difference.

If I asked you (or most on here) to explain the differnce between the three parties actual policies on Health, Education and overseas aid, I very much doubt without a quick google you could tell me the difference.

You would simply come back with eveil Tories, trust Labour blah blah blah.

So in reality, voting without knowing the facts is just as lazy as not voting.

While I agree with some of these sentiments its also not surprising that a lot of people just have no real interest in politics.

I know we can demonise them on here to the holier than thou Labour, the evil Tories and the well meaning but slightly mad Liberals, but to the average Joe there aint a lot of real difference.

If I asked you (or most on here) to explain the differnce between the three parties actual policies on Health, Education and overseas aid, I very much doubt without a quick google you could tell me the difference.

You would simply come back with eveil Tories, trust Labour blah blah blah.

So in reality, voting without knowing the facts is just as lazy as not voting.

I could tell you actually CT, especially regarding Health (the sector I work in). But it would be a lot of pointless work duplicating what is already available so I won't. But for anyone who's interested, there are numerous sources of information, including sites that have summarised the salient points - some of which you have posted even. As I say, if people aren't interested in finding out the differences, then they should expect to have no say in how our country is governed.

I'd like you to find a post where I have called the tories 'evil' by the way or Labour 'holier than thou'. I don't believe in absolutes. 'Well meaning but slightly mad Liberals' - yeah, I'd buy that. ;)

I think there should be compulsive voting to be honest.

People lining up outside the polling station to vote again and again and again?

;)<_<:icon_lol:

Some facebook stats;

50,000 members of Conservatives Group

45,000 members of Lib Dems

25,000 members of Labour Group

Fans of the leaders;

Clegg 30,500

Cameron 26,500

Brown 7000. (Unofficial - "Cant believe I got so totally owned last night. Fuck!!!!!!" 16 April at 11:29)

A few weeks ago Cameron was on 18,000 and the other two on 4,000.

and also, the chancellors;

Vince Cable 567 fans

Alistair Darling 245 fans (but his eyebrows have 6,188)

George Osborne just 11 fans ;) CT must have rang round his mates.

Also, I noticed this while looking - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1137...wall&ref=mf 111,000 fans.

Obviously facebook is only a small % of the voting populace with a significant bias toward the young and ineligible to vote.

Obviously facebook is only a small % of the voting populace with a significant bias toward the young and ineligible to vote.

Speaking of which, I think today's the last day to register, so be sure to encourage anyone around you to do so if necessary folks. As long as they're planning on voting the right way. ;)

Basically most in London who aren't registered to vote are avoiding council tax, no mystery.

That would require the assumption that councils have any kind of functioning communications between their various departments. ;) But I can understand why people think that way, obviously.

Basically most in London who aren't registered to vote are avoiding council tax, no mystery.

That would require the assumption that councils have any kind of functioning communications between their various departments. ;) But I can understand why people think that way, obviously.

If Council tax was levied against houses rather than people then the number of voters will rise drastically. Dame Thatcher used the poll tax (re-named council tax) to wipe out some of the lower levels of voters who traditionally don't vote Tory (sneaky)...

And didn't that work out well for her? Diddums.

Her own lot fucked her over when she (to her credit) refused to tow the line on the EU. When she made that speech in Brussels it was basically all over for her. She knows now that she was but a small cog in the grosse machina.

Her own lot fucked her over when she (to her credit) refused to tow the line on the EU. When she made that speech in Brussels it was basically all over for her. She knows now that she was but a small cog in the grosse machina.

I hate the mad bitch but I'll agree she was right in that regard. Not that I'm against the EU, it just needs to be reformed and all those on the gravy train need a kick up the arse. Make our own MPs look like upstanding chaps.

If Council tax was levied against houses rather than people then the number of voters will rise drastically. Dame Thatcher used the poll tax (re-named council tax) to wipe out some of the lower levels of voters who traditionally don't vote Tory (sneaky)...

Erm, as far as I am aware Council tax is levied against the property, not the person? What are you on about?

Erm, as far as I am aware Council tax is levied against the property, not the person? What are you on about?

It's calculated by how many adults are living in a residence and the size of the residence and the working status of those adults. Whereas before it was levied against the house alone (iirc down to size and location).

Edited by Park Life

I hate the mad bitch but I'll agree she was right in that regard. Not that I'm against the EU, it just needs to be reformed and all those on the gravy train need a kick up the arse. Make our own MPs look like upstanding chaps.

Oceania. ;)

Obviously don't pay it. It's calculated by how many adults are living in a residence and the size of the residence and the working status of those adults. Whereas before it was levied against the house alone (iirc down to size and location).

I've owned poperty since 1995. It's my understanding that council tax is based on a valuation band which in turn is based (loosely) on the value of the property. The number of occupants is irrelevant (but actually perhaps shouldn't be). There is ONE bill per home (usually paid by the owner unless agreed otherwise). I don't see how this will affect voting.

I've owned poperty since 1995. It's my understanding that council tax is based on a valuation band which in turn is based (loosely) on the value of the property. The number of occupants is irrelevant (but actually perhaps shouldn't be). There is ONE bill per home (usually paid by the owner unless agreed otherwise). I don't see how this will affect voting.

Concil tax is discounted for single occupants. Registering 2 people to vote at an address could conceivably be evidence of fraudulently claiming a discount.

Edited by Happy Face