Mark Hughes at SJP?

loonyTOON

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah would rather give Houghton the chance since he's the one thats gonna get us promotion, would atleast give him one season to see what hes like.

Is that the one season he'll get us relegated?

deosn't matter who we have as maanger without some serious strengthening we'll struggle next season

Even Mad Sir Alex couldn't turn this lot into convincing PL material

When are people going to get that Hall is only a loan signing? And a good one at that. He identified where we needed cover and signed someone on the short term - full marks.

Hughes would be just about the top quality of manager we could attract, I think.

Don't know if that was aimed at me, but to clarify, I'm fully aware that Hall is short term. However, I still think going for a prospect as cover is better than a has-never-been

If top clubs are sending their prospects out it's to get games, not sit on the bench. Hall is 4th choice and I doubt Wenger, Ferguson et all would see the point in loaning out prospects to be that when they would get more game time playing in their reserves.

Realistically we couldn't expect much better than Hall.

I'd rather we bought a prospect than loaned one for the key positions like Center Half, Striker, 'Keeper. Loanees will always be down the pecking order.

I just think there were better options available to us, than Hall.

When are people going to get that Hall is only a loan signing? And a good one at that. He identified where we needed cover and signed someone on the short term - full marks.

Hughes would be just about the top quality of manager we could attract, I think.

Don't know if that was aimed at me, but to clarify, I'm fully aware that Hall is short term. However, I still think going for a prospect as cover is better than a has-never-been

If top clubs are sending their prospects out it's to get games, not sit on the bench. Hall is 4th choice and I doubt Wenger, Ferguson et all would see the point in loaning out prospects to be that when they would get more game time playing in their reserves.

I'd rather we bought a prospect than loaned one for the key positions like Center Half, Striker, 'Keeper. Loanees will always be down the pecking order.

you're not a yank are you ?

Thing is though, it was probably get him in on loan as cover or don't get anyone. And he's done quite well imo. He's a no nonsense centre-half who makes a good partner for Coloccini (and Kadar, probably), he's got a bit of experience and he won't have cost a lot for the few months he's been here. I don't see the problem with his signing at all. And his nickname is funny.

There probably was but he's not been a total disaster and he's been useful back-up. If we can get these players in for 3-4 months at a time and they peform well enough, it doesn't matter if they weren't our first choice. Harewood springs to mine, granted his all around play was shit but he got a few goals that grabbed us points so it wasn't a bad thing really. Now, Leon Best is a case where they was probably better available (though what Ashley was willing to pay was probably a stumbling block).

you're not a yank are you ?

Close.

Replacing Hughton would be a disgrace, a few have said that his tactics and substitutions have left a lot to be desired and I think earlier in the season there were one or two odd substitutions, but of late he's made good changes that have made a difference. At times he's made very guttsy calls that look odd at the time. I think we were playing Cardiff and we were one nil up and under the cosh and instead of going increasingly defensive he brought on Lovenkrands and switched from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 and it really relieved the pressure and made a difference. If Mourinho had done it he'd be called a maverick.

Hughton's got us playing football again. There's very little doubt in my mind that the team we have at the moment would beat the team that played at Villa on the last day of the season and on paper you wouldn't have thought that would be the case.

Hughton should be given a chance once you're promoted, its only fair as he has got you going again and restored a bit of confidence. Mind you Hughes is a very good manager, although his tactics can be a bit like Allardyce's at times.

Hughton's got us playing football again. There's very little doubt in my mind that the team we have at the moment would beat the team that played at Villa on the last day of the season and on paper you wouldn't have thought that would be the case.

Goes to show how absolutely terrible the morale was last year. That's what sent us down and I pin all that on the Keegangate, or Xiscogate.

Replacing Hughton would be a disgrace, a few have said that his tactics and substitutions have left a lot to be desired and I think earlier in the season there were one or two odd substitutions, but of late he's made good changes that have made a difference. At times he's made very guttsy calls that look odd at the time. I think we were playing Cardiff and we were one nil up and under the cosh and instead of going increasingly defensive he brought on Lovenkrands and switched from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 and it really relieved the pressure and made a difference. If Mourinho had done it he'd be called a maverick.

Agree, and as for the bolded bit:

Results, record and league position would suggest otherwise.

He deserves a proper chance, now I know many managers who achieve promotion crash and burn, but equally the next Moyes-like standard of manager has to come from somewhere, you never know !!

we've tried big name managers and they didn't work

we've tried ex-players and they didn't work either

maybe its time to give a hardworking profesional a chance??

• 3 months later...
Taking over at Fulham.

He'll be found out now.

I don't know, I think he's a decent manager. It'll be hard work after last season though.

It wasn't shocking treatment at City at all. He was too out of his depth. He spent a fortune on some very average players. Plus he's a typical ex-Man Utd whingy arsehole as well.