Lionel Messi

LeazesMag

Argie '90 were fucking atrocious

Aye and they didn't win either. Taking into consideration the manager, that last Argentina team was awful; most of the fans were just happy they didn't end up completely embarrassing themselves. Messi has time to win a world cup, and his current club form is unparalleled in a modern game where the standard is a lot higher than in El Diego's day. Don't get me wrong I'm mad on Maradona, but watching Barca of late, Messi has made another step up in terms of ability.

Fair enough if he goes on to win a world cup (I'd even say make a final-Baggio in '94 was runner up but still more worthy than any other player at the tournament). Next one will be his big chance-Brazil an all so the scene could hardly be better set!!

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How they ever got as far as they did that year is beyond me. Lost the opening match to nine-man Cameroon. Nine fucking men who got their football rules mixed up with fucking wrestling and they beat the World Champions.

Garbage.

Tell you what mind, that's just made me dig out this clip. "The greatest tackle in World Cup history" it says, and it's not wrong. :nah:

Caniggia was a fucking cunt mind... couldn't have happened to a better person. But it was assualt rather than a tackle. I like the way three of them had a crack at him! :lol:

Tell you what mind, that's just made me dig out this clip. "The greatest tackle in World Cup history" it says, and it's not wrong. :nah:

I like how the referee also fist gave a straight red and then a yellow afterwards...

Edited by Isegrim

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
Argie '86 certainly weren't shit but he didnt even need to pass the ball anyway in some games.

We would've murdered them in the final. Cameroon deservedly beat them with 9 men in the opening game. All they had was a declining Maradona, and Canniggia.

FWIW I still think CR is better.

Edited by You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

Aye, robert scored one of those though. Messi's recent record is something ridiculous like 73 goals in 75 games. For a bloke who isn't even a proper striker!

I would say something like this beats a 50yard punt hands down

Aye, robert scored one of those though. Messi's recent record is something ridiculous like 73 goals in 75 games. For a bloke who isn't even a proper striker!

I would say something like this beats a 50yard punt hands down

50 yard punt :nah: are you all there. Messi is a playstation player, he gets the ball beats 5 men and scores, 90% of the time moving to his left but his feet are so quick you can't stop him. Ronaldo can do all of that, but he's stronger got a much better shot, has more tricks (in my view), is infinitely better in the air, and has a goalscoring record easily comparable to Messi's. He is more important to Real than Messi is to Barca.

Argie '86 certainly weren't shit but he didnt even need to pass the ball anyway in some games.

We would've murdered them in the final. Cameroon deservedly beat them with 9 men in the opening game. All they had was a declining Maradona, and Canniggia.

A team of hatchet men, and maradona running on one ankle. canniggia was fast but not much else. if only we'd have won that semi final.. in reality the football that was played during that tournament was pretty dire, and the 3rd place play off should have been the final.

as for messi, he is the best player in world football at the moment, not just because of his strike rate, but because of his ability to pick a pass, he's assisted 2 or 3 goals in each of the last few league games and has scored roughly a goal a game in la liga this year.

contrast him with c ronaldo who's game revolves pretty much around shooting from anywhere to get his goals.... and doesn't create as many goals for teammates.

A team of hatchet men, and maradona running on one ankle. canniggia was fast but not much else. if only we'd have won that semi final.. in reality the football that was played during that tournament was pretty dire, and the 3rd place play off should have been the final.

as for messi, he is the best player in world football at the moment, not just because of his strike rate, but because of his ability to pick a pass, he's assisted 2 or 3 goals in each of the last few league games and has scored roughly a goal a game in la liga this year.

contrast him with c ronaldo who's game revolves pretty much around shooting from anywhere to get his goals.... and doesn't create as many goals for teammates.

There'll be statistical evidence to contradict that in my view. If I had a choice of Messi or CR for the toon would be CR every time.

Messi every time. teams win games, he's the ultimate team player, completlely unselfish. players like ronaldo would make you do your conkers. honestly. not on the same level. too greedy, too showboaty! too arrogant.

having said that if madrid wanted to loan him here, he's just a bit better than what we have!

Messi every time. teams win games, he's the ultimate team player, completlely unselfish. players like ronaldo would make you do your conkers. honestly. not on the same level. too greedy, too showboaty! too arrogant.

having said that if madrid wanted to loan him here, he's just a bit better than what we have!

I can see Stevie's argument in that he'd perhaps have more of an impact on a poor side. I prefer Messi like, for the reasons you give.

Good write up here.

Messi for me, anyway.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...aldo/index.html

I don't take anything about America seriously, let alone some "Buck Buzzslinger" type journalist writing about the sport. Messi never showboats does he? Ronaldo every time for me, more versatile, more valuable to the team. It is the popularist view to say Messi is the better player though, I concede that.

Good write up here.

Messi for me, anyway.

I don't take anything about America seriously, let alone some "Buck Buzzslinger" type journalist writing about the sport. Messi never showboats does he? Ronaldo every time for me, more versatile, more valuable to the team. It is the popularist view to say Messi is the better player though, I concede that.

He's an(English) freelance journalist man! He knows his onions.

Sid Lowe lives in Madrid and writes a weekly column for guardian.co.uk. He also writes regularly for the Guardian, World Soccer, FourFourTwo, and the Telegraph. He works as a commentator and panelist for Spanish, Asian and US television and has acted as translator for David Beckham, Michael Owen, and Thomas Gravesen

thats what somebody in the England team should have done to Maradona in 86 when he scored his 2nd goal

Good write up here.

Messi for me, anyway.

In a poor side CR would be more important. Messi needs a team around him.

Good write up here.

Messi for me, anyway.

Not popularist, in my opinion. its based upon fact, though for some reason the man utd side that had ronaldo, would very possibly have performed worse with messi in as his replacement based on a couple of incredibly important factors at the time.

1) messi had injuries that year and wasn't quite the player he is now.

2) the manchester utd side had players performing at their peak or close to it that season.

Nowadays Ronaldo is a paradox, technically the most gifted player on the planet, yet so very frustrating.

As for sid lowe, he's probably one of the most widely respected writers in soccer journalism. always a great read. not quite Hugh Mcilvanney however.

Good write up here.

Messi for me, anyway.

Didnt help Portugal didnt it?

Good write up here.

Messi for me, anyway.

Thats a bit like Xavi for me. If you put him in Blackburns midfield I bet he'd look pretty average.