Hughton starts Prem plans

Christmas Tree

Virtually all of them were flops last year. Too good for the championship but not good enough for the premier league seems a fair assessment of the entire team just about, IMO.

If we don't get at least five quality players that can do a job in the premier league then we'll be fucked.

That's pretty much it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gutti to have a blinding world cup and Real put in a £15 mill bid for him.

ah. Wasn't it great when we had people running the club who bought trophy quality players instead of selling them.

I just dont get it. Everyone jumping on the bandwagon AGAIN.

That article was fair enough tbh.

If we are to have a decent year next year then continuity and momentum ARE important. That means keeping the squad together.

CH talks about areas that need adressing (RB, CM and CF i hope) and areas that need cover (LB, LW and RW) whats wrong with that?

Its not like he is saying we dont need to sign anyone is it?

Chill out man.

Im willing o stick my neck out and say none of the following will leave:

Enrique, Coloccini, Saylor, Gutierrez and Carroll.

If any were to go id think it would only be Raylor and Best.

We'll see.

Maybe saying "we're going to spend loads" isn't the best plan either.

the only relevant "plan" is to bring players to the club who are good enough for the aspirations we should have.

We are not Bolton, Wigan etc. We should not be playing by their rules and standards.

We are better off buying 2 quality players than 5 sub standard cheap ones.

If we are to have a decent year next year then continuity and momentum ARE important. That means keeping the squad together.

CH talks about areas that need adressing (RB, CM and CF i hope) and areas that need cover (LB, LW and RW) whats wrong with that?

Chill out man.

If at the end of last season we had escaped relegation by that one point and then went on to make the same sales and purchases would you be looking forward to the season? I wouldnt.

We'll see.

the only relevant "plan" is to bring players to the club who are good enough for the aspirations we should have.

We are not Bolton, Wigan etc. We should not be playing by their rules and standards.

What happens when those players get injured though? We've been there before.

We're probably still a bigger draw to most players than the clubs you mentioned but sadly not by much at the moment. I don't want to see us overpay for big name players who only come for the wages. Even you must agree that we've not always had good value for money from the players we've bought.

We'll see.

What happens when those players get injured though? We've been there before.

We're probably still a bigger draw to most players than the clubs you mentioned but sadly not by much at the moment. I don't want to see us overpay for big name players who only come for the wages. Even you must agree that we've not always had good value for money from the players we've bought.

what happens if they don't get injured ?

We had a good return for our time spent "there before". Getting there again, and better, means buying similar quality players. There is quite simply no other way to do it.

Whether players "only" come here for the wages ....... well, most of our past signings actually didn't only come for the wages. They also came because we offered them other top players and an ambitious club that showed it was trying to win the prizes and play in europe. Simple fact is you have to pay the going rate or the good players will actually go somewhere else for the wages and the progressive ambitious club.

Edited by LeazesMag

Chill out man.

If at the end of last season we had escaped relegation by that one point and then went on to make the same sales and purchases would you be looking forward to the season? I wouldnt.

Hindsights a wonderful thing eh pud?

If we had of stayed up then those sales and purchase would never of happened...well not all of them.

But thats not what we are talkin about is it mate?

Who do you think WILL go?

Can they really fuck it up twice? :)

Oh are you starting to believe at long last? :lol:

IM stilll resisting......just., However I g

find these comments very worrying.

Every man and his fog realises Ashley needs to take this opportunity.

If he fucks this up then fuck him

Can they really fuck it up twice? :)

Oh are you starting to believe at long last? :lol:

IM stilll resisting......just., However I g

find these comments very worrying.

Every man and his fog realises Ashley needs to take this opportunity.

If he fucks this up then fuck him

That'll last for what, 5 minutes?

I'd be happy with two quality players and 3 or so decent players as cover/competition.

From what Maradonna has said in the past I think there's both every and no chance that they'll be part of the first 11. Every chance for Jonas and no chance for Coloccini.

Jonas may not be one of the 11 best Argentinian players but he's a grafter who gets up and down the pitch for them, and actually links up quite well with his team mates. A good team requires that sort of balance.

From what Maradonna has said in the past I think there's both every and no chance that they'll be part of the first 11. Every chance for Jonas and no chance for Coloccini.

Jonas may not be one of the 11 best Argentinian players but he's a grafter who gets up and down the pitch for them, and actually links up quite well with his team mates. A good team requires that sort of balance.

It usually takes a good manager to recognise that though, so not sure how he's in the team....

narf some negative people on this site. We have not won the league yet, we have not had our pre season or played our first game back in the Prem. Relax enjoy the ride nothing you can do will change it.

No one on here knows what players think or are going to do we just throw up opinions and conspiracy theories.

Me I think we are fucked :lol:

The NOT so Special One

It has been said so many times that Newcastle United are not so much a football club as an extremely bad joke played on arguably the most passionately committed group of fans in the game.

So how is it that having broken all the rules, treated a man like Bobby Robson with a disrespect to chill the blood and driven out all sense of decency and respect, they have returned to the Premier League, under-equipped perhaps to compete at such a level without major investment from owner Mike Ashley, but alive again with all that hope which on Tyneside is, plainly, resistant to all attempts to send it sailing out into the North Sea?

It is because when all else failed, when big Sam Allardyce produced rather more bluster than achievement, when Kevin Keegan's Second Coming was exposed as no more than another romantic misadventure, when even the aura of Alan Shearer failed to break the vice of institutionalised failure, they gave up.

They didn't send still another SOS to some big-name refugee from football employment. They turned to Chris Hughton. They said that maybe a man who had become a candidate for serial caretaking jobs, a man utterly without edge or pretension but someone who knew a little of the game because he had made it his life, would do well enough as the club, hopefully, went under the hammer as Ashley desperately sought to sell.

Affronted

Even the terms of Hughton's appointment would have affronted many would-be messiahs.

He would be paid modestly by the standards of top flight management -- reportedly around £260,000 a year -- and when a buyer came in, and the TV vans pulled up outside St James' Park to cover the story of which celebrity manager would be given the latest chance to walk the endless road of Newcastle's attempted redemption, Hughton would do what he had always been prepared to do, without fuss or foot-stamping.

He would slip back into the background where so many of his type are prepared to operate, without fanfare or vast reward, because they simply couldn't imagine living without the adrenalin and the passion of football.

But then something quite strange, and perhaps even miraculous in the context of Newcastle's long history of futility happened. Hughton showed that he could manage. He could get the trust of the players.

When Newcastle celebrated their return to the Premier League, key midfielder Kevin Nolan was anxious for Hughton to be given his due.

He said: "He's a great manager and a great fella. Make no mistake, he knows how to lead a team. We have a committee in the dressing-room but when he comes in and tells us that we are doing something wrong, well, that's the end of it."

You have to wonder how many Hughtons occupy the back corridors of football, how many 'unspecial ones' go through a life in the game without hearing the call to glory.

We do not really know if Hughton can handle the pressures of a full Premier League season, how well he might surface from a bad day at Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford, but we certainly know now that he understands what it is to make a team work, to create the kind of chemistry which can make a disheartened rabble believe in themselves sufficiently to make any least one good season, when there is a certain drive and coherence.

Inevitably, in his moment of triumph, Hughton made no case for himself.

"I didn't win promotion," he said. "The players did that. They also know that apart from their responsibilities to the club, they owe something to a league in which they have done so well. There are matches left and they are important to other clubs, who are fighting for play-off places or against relegation."

Hughton (51) had plenty of time to learn such competitive decency as he played nearly 300 games, mostly for a good Tottenham team and then, in the twilight of his playing days, West Ham and Brentford.

Born in Stratford, East London, he was a fixture for Ireland, playing 53 times and earning a testimonial at Lansdowne Road.

He served, as player and coach, 10 managers at White Hart Lane, including men like Glenn Hoddle, George Graham, Gerry Francis, Ossie Ardiles and Jacques Santini, men who had become accustomed to the idea that they would be involved in the higher echelons of football.

Hughton didn't entertain such pretensions. He was happy to do his job in the background, a football man like many who are cast in that role but, in a few cases, not unbreakably.

At Liverpool there was such a man. He was a trainer whose nickname was Mr Elasto Plast because he was always around to stitch up a wound; one of his jobs was to drive Bill Shankly on scouting missions. But then he was called into the limelight when the great man left and he proceeded to win three European Cups. His name was, of course, Bob Paisley.

Chris Hughton may never have such aspirations. But still his is a remarkable story. He has brought some light into one of English football's darkest places and victory over Reading tonight could all but seal the Championship title and bring the first trophy to Tyneside since the same title in 1993 which sparked the previous era of optimism.

How did it happen? Because of a rare set of circumstances, and, hopefully, it will not be forgotten too easily, because Hughton knows a few fundamental things about how you run a football team.

The strange thing is that if Owen had taken 2/3 of those 4/5 chances at the end of last season we woudn't even have been relegated as shit as we were.

Probably just delaying the inevitable though.