Liverpool up for sale

Sonatine

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Touching gesture from the sacked manager...

Rafael Benitez makes donation to Hillsborough families

Former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has made a £96,000 donation to the Hillsborough Family Support Group.

The group was founded by families who lost loved ones in the Hillsborough Disaster in April 1989 which resulted in the deaths of 96 Liverpool fans.

Benitez, whose Anfield reign ended last week, supported the organisation during his six years in charge of the Reds.

The 50-year-old Spaniard was confirmed on Thursday as the new coach of European champions Inter Milan.

"When he handed the cheque over to me he was very emotional, as I was and the committee was, especially when we saw the amount," said Margaret Aspinall, chairman of the Hillsborough Family Support Group.

"He just said that he wanted to help with the cause and hoped we get what we rightly deserve.

"We have lots of things that we spend money on; a memorial every year, upkeep of the office and expenses but Rafa just said as long as it helps the group then that's all that matters."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ool/8733645.stm

What is the point of the group? Aye, it's fair enough to hold an annual memorial but anything else is unnecessary.

I was thinking exactly the same

"upkeep of the office and expenses" what do they actually do?

I know they're fighting for justice and I don't think they've had it, but sometimes you just have to let things go and move on.

I know they're fighting for justice and I don't think they've had it, but sometimes you just have to let things go and move on.

their site says they're fighting "campaign to bring out the truth and ensure justice was to succeed"

what truth are they searching for?

their site says they're fighting "campaign to bring out the truth and ensure justice was to succeed"

One that skims over the fact that, regardless of any policing inadequacies, loads of ticketless scallies did pour out of the pubs and into the ground at five to three I'd imagine.

Got to admit i fucking hate Liverpool and every thing about the place the people and the football club. They dominated football in the late 70's and 80's but were boring to watch, when the back pass law came in they were fucked because they would constantly play back passes to Clemence who would pick it up for a couple of minutes and roll it out to Neal or big nose and they would pass it back to him. As for Hillsbrough definately a tragedy but perhaps time to let it lie but it is not in the DNA of scousers to let anything lie. The fucking media love them and as has been pointed out if the same carry on happened up the Barrack road then the cunts from sky would be parked outside interviewing the shoe wavers. I hope Dalglish goes back and finnishes the job of wrecking the cunts and i look forward to him signing shite like he did at the toon he is fucking over rated and no doubt will be off on sick leave within 9 months (it's a common problem on merseyside)

One that skims over the fact that, regardless of any policing inadequacies, loads of ticketless scallies did pour out of the pubs and into the ground at five to three I'd imagine.

thats about the size of it.

Still, it isn't their fault. :lol:

thats about the size of it.

Still, it isn't their fault. :lol:

and of course no other group of fans behaved in that manner on a regular basis in the 70s and 80s....

the other side of that coin is the mugging of ticket holding fans in the run up to their champions league final in Athens..theyre far from angels...cant see our lot behaving like that..

but the fact remains, large groups of people need controlling, to save themsleves from themselves if you like. And there was a massive cover up by the police and a smear campaign in a certain part of the written press...why did the "powers that be" think they needed to do that?...

tbqfh I'm quite disgusted by some of the subjective comments in here with in regards to Hillsborough.

At the end of the day just short of 100 football fans went to a football match and a catastrophic failure by the police resulted in them never going home - worse still, the ensuing 'cover up' was criminal.

Putting pre-conceived opinions of Liverpool fans aside, no-one can possibly lay the primary responsibilty for what happened that day on their fans - and the group is fighting for the right for the documents held by the police into the disaster to be released into the public domain.

If it was Newcastle fans that died that day and the police had pinned it all on us, I'm pretty damned sure we'd still be fighting for justice.

• 2 weeks later...
Roy Hodgson poised to become new Liverpool manager

Roy Hodgson is set to be appointed Liverpool's new manager by Thursday, BBC Sport understands.

The Reds were granted permission to speak to the 62-year-old two weeks ago by his current club Fulham.

Hodgson has also been linked with the England manager's job following the team's humiliating exit from the World Cup but Liverpool have acted quickly.

The Englishman will replace Rafael Benitez in the Anfield hot seat after the Spaniard left at the start of June.

"Hodgson has always been the number one target of the board at Anfield to replace Benitez," said Ian Dennis, BBC Radio 5 live's senior football reporter.

"After Fulham granted Liverpool permission to speak to Hodgson, it was just a matter of the clubs agreeing a compensation deal for him."

Hodgson has been in charge of Fulham since December 2007 and signed a new 12-month rolling contract in December 2009.

Although he suffered a difficult start to his tenure, winning only nine points from his first 13 league matches, he saved the club from relegation in 2007-2008, securing survival on the final day of the campaign.

The following season he steered the club to seventh place in the Premier League - their highest finish - and a place in the Europa League.

His achievement in guiding Fulham to the final of that competition, with wins over Juventus and Wolfsburg en route, resulted in him being named manager of the year by the League Managers Association in May.

Hodgson has also managed Italian giants Inter Milan, Blackburn and Switzerland, who he guided to the last 16 of the 1994 World Cup.

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill, former Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini, ex-Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink, Croatia coach Slaven Bilic and former Manchester City manager Mark Hughes have all been linked with the Liverpool post.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ool/8721942.stm

Hopefully he'll be as profigate with money as he was with us, and buy Keith Andrews for £6m. He will steady the ship, but I can't see them making the top 4 again. Therefore, they'll really fuck up on the balance sheet.

Hopefully he'll be as profigate with money as he was with us, and buy Keith Andrews for £6m. He will steady the ship, but I can't see them making the top 4 again. Therefore, they'll really fuck up on the balance sheet.

It's quite hard to see how anyone could get them into the top 4 next season with the squad they have, Man City and Spurs will be stronger, Man U Chelsea and Arsenal should all be fine so I can only see Liverpool competing with Villa and Everton for the Europa league places.