Newcastle United's Player Of The Season - 2010.

Kevin

Player of the season  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted Smith as I think without his contribution early doors we'd be no where near the top.

:icon_lol:

Smith was class early doors to be fair. Thats not a reason to give him POTS though ! ;)

He wasn't like. He played well for the first couple of games until his limitations were exposed again.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin Nolan would get my vote ahead of Jose as I simply believe he's been more vital to our cause. Jose's arguably the better player but all round, Nolans goals have been priceless, he's also been our true captain in all but name whether he's had the armband or not. Also, it's kinda funny how an unfit, big scouser is probably our best finisher, (a bit like Micky Quinn, minus the tache and nightmare finish to the season). Also for those who point to the games where he struggled, you could turn around and point to the very few games he missed and Jose can be a bit careless on the ball too. So, for this season, Nolan the most important player, Jose classy, and hopefully classy for the foreseeable future.

I think Enrique has been the most consistent and entertaining player to watch all season, Nolan has drifted in and out of games sometimes, although i won't deny his goals have been crucial. That said, I cant see Enrique being able to play the sam way next year, countless times he has got out of trouble by skinning his man at the corner flag, or playing a 1-2 with Guitierrez/Coloccini In the prem, with quicker, better attacking players, that could lead to unnecessary throw ins and corners. He may need to learn just to boot it clear sometimes!

I voted Smith as I think without his contribution early doors we'd be no where near the top.

Smith was class early doors to be fair. Thats not a reason to give him POTS though ! ;)

He wasn't like. He played well for the first couple of games until his limitations were exposed again.

Isnt that early doors ?

Anyway, he was class v Leicester at home and that was 6/7 games in.

Am I right in thinking that quite a large number of the people voting for Nolan aren't season ticket holders? Which would make sense since his goals would stand out to them more than Ricky's more quietly excellent performances all season.

I can honestly say that i've never spoken to anyone who regularly goes to the match who would pick anyone but Ricky and in fact most of them are quite scathing about Nolan. I think if this poll had been run two months ago Nolan wouldn't even be in the running.

It's also interesting to note that Ricky, Colo, Jonas and Lovenkrands all have songs sung about them but I've never heard anyone sing for Nolan.

Am I right in thinking that quite a large number of the people voting for Nolan aren't season ticket holders? Which would make sense since his goals would stand out to them more than Ricky's more quietly excellent performances all season.

I can honestly say that i've never spoken to anyone who regularly goes to the match who would pick anyone but Ricky and in fact most of them are quite scathing about Nolan. I think if this poll had been run two months ago Nolan wouldn't even be in the running.

It's also interesting to note that Ricky, Colo, Jonas and Lovenkrands all have songs sung about them but I've never heard anyone sing for Nolan.

So does Shola but that means nowt. ;)

Nothing rhymes with Nolan though. ;)

So does Shola but that means nowt. ;)

Aye fair point :icon_lol:

His sisters sing songs about him.

Rollin, Rollin, Rollin.

We've got Kevin Nolan

Keeps on putting Goals in

Not Wideeeeeee!

In all types of weather

He's really rather clever

Connecting with the leather

Raw Hide!

Rollin, Rollin, Rollin.

We've got Kevin Nolan

Keeps on putting Goals in

Not Wideeeeeee!

In all types of weather

He's really rather clever

Connecting with the leather

Raw Hide!

That's actually not bad!

On topic, I think there is a distinction between best player and player of the season and I think Jose is obviously the former, but Nolan is the latter.

We should sell Nolan in the summer while teams actually think he's still decent. He'll be a passenger next season like he has been in the Premiership for a few years prior.

Guest Barrack Road

Couldn't agree more with the whole post. I remember the game against Palace at home, Nolan gave in my opinion the most inept performance I've seen at home off any individual, he was a disgrace, I remember writing on here or saying to a mate it must be the time of year cos he was utter wank same time last year too.

Nolan has been great in front of goal in shite league. But, from memory, he went missing for half of the season. Enrique was in the form of his life up to his injury, came back and didnt put a foot wrong. He's been consistent all season.

We should sell Nolan in the summer while teams actually think he's still decent. He'll be a passenger next season like he has been in the Premiership for a few years prior.

Spot on. Not sure who would be the obvious replacement, but we'd probably get a few quid for him. Might even get something for Smith.

Enrique easily PoY. Consistently a top performer throughout the season.

Fantastic point.

Your average punter remembers goals, they're far and away the most memorable moments of games.

Enrique was clearly the player in the side that was far and away the best player at performing his role. He was in control all season, played some good players out of games and linked up extremely well down the left. Got forward and contributed assists (should have honestly had more if it wasn't for some average finishing) and got off his duck as well. To rule him out of player of the year contention simply because he's a left back is absurd IMO.

If you look at what Nolan has done, the goals he has scored have been great value, there's no denying that but many of them were part of team efforts where Nolan simply played a part in the goal. One important thing to consider is his contribution elsewhere on the park. Considering he played in the centre of midfield for much of the season, there was some areas of his game that were severely lacking. Most people will admit that if you take the goals out of his game, he's a pretty poor contributor. There was a patch midseason where he was absolutely horrible, and anyone watching games was calling for him to be dropped. In those matches the lack of contribution from Nolan was blatantly obvious, with the general feeling being that with someone else playing instead of him we'd have been much more likely to have won/drawn.

The usually excellent Guardian football podcast suggested that it was a travesty that Nolan was in the Championship and that he should be playing European football the other week.

I heard that as well and scoffed. Obviously they don't watch any/many matches in the Championship, widely evidenced by their own remarks that they only have a faint idea of the happenings in the lower leagues.

Well speaking only for myself I am a season ticket holder and i voted for Nolan. Goals have been crucial and he has been a proper leader and as the squad stands should be made captain in my opinion. Its part sad / part amusing that a few people on this thread just can't handle a contrary opinion! Sure Nolan's form dipped at various points but somewhere on this thread someone says (can't be bothered to track back) that he turned in the most inept performance he 'd ever seen.

Now I suppose it depends how far you go back (early 70's for me) but we have had any number of poorer players / performances than Kevin Nolan at his worst!Actually as exhibit "A" I'd go back no further than post Christmas Micky Owen on that one!

There is of course a case for Collo, Jose, Jonas to be player of the season (for as much as it actually matters like!) but certainly for his goals Nolan has to be a contender and on that basis so has Andy Carroll. And had his contribution (obviously due to terrible personal circumstances) not been so "half a season" then Lovenkrands would have been a contender also. To repeat from my first post Champions have lots of contenders and therefore opinions will vary! Just relax everyone!

Well speaking only for myself I am a season ticket holder and i voted for Nolan. Goals have been crucial and he has been a proper leader and as the squad stands should be made captain in my opinion. Its part sad / part amusing that a few people on this thread just can't handle a contrary opinion! Sure Nolan's form dipped at various points but somewhere on this thread someone says (can't be bothered to track back) that he turned in the most inept performance he 'd ever seen.

Now I suppose it depends how far you go back (early 70's for me) but we have had any number of poorer players / performances than Kevin Nolan at his worst!Actually as exhibit "A" I'd go back no further than post Christmas Micky Owen on that one!

There is of course a case for Collo, Jose, Jonas to be player of the season (for as much as it actually matters like!) but certainly for his goals Nolan has to be a contender and on that basis so has Andy Carroll. And had his contribution (obviously due to terrible personal circumstances) not been so "half a season" then Lovenkrands would have been a contender also. To repeat from my first post Champions have lots of contenders and therefore opinions will vary! Just relax everyone!

Percy Says Relax. Get it on a t-shirt. You'll make a few quid.

Well Percy goes to all the home games, I do as well, don't know about anyone else? Does all of the people who put Jose top of the pops go to the matches? Who knows? Am I right in thinking that as someone doesn't agree with your opinion then in your mind they mustn't go to the games? Because thats how your post looks to me. For me Jose's looked our best player but Nolan's been the most important, the goals which have turned one point into three like Preston away, the goals which have turned games like Sheff Wed or getting last minute winners against Doncaster, they are the games that get points on the board and points make prizes! Would Smithy have scored any of those chances? Would any of our midfielders? Nolan did. Yes he struggled at times, yes he might get the runaround next year, but for all the reasons explained he gets my vote. And thats no slight on Jose either, he's been top notch and his goal will probably be most peoples favourite goal this season.

Well Percy goes to all the home games, I do as well, don't know about anyone else? Does all of the people who put Jose top of the pops go to the matches? Who knows? Am I right in thinking that as someone doesn't agree with your opinion then in your mind they mustn't go to the games? Because thats how your post looks to me. For me Jose's looked our best player but Nolan's been the most important, the goals which have turned one point into three like Preston away, the goals which have turned games like Sheff Wed or getting last minute winners against Doncaster, they are the games that get points on the board and points make prizes! Would Smithy have scored any of those chances? Would any of our midfielders? Nolan did. Yes he struggled at times, yes he might get the runaround next year, but for all the reasons explained he gets my vote. And thats no slight on Jose either, he's been top notch and his goal will probably be most peoples favourite goal this season.

Good thread ending post

like I said before, if people are picking Nolan for pretty much just his goals then why isn't Carroll getting more of a mention? Carroll scored only two fewer goals in 11 less starts then Nolan and tended to dissapear far less in games.