Spain win 2010 WORLD CUP.

Park Life

Guest The Three Lions
I'll be wanting Chile to win it now, best team in the tournament so far, only team I've seen who have played really well in all of their games.

They really lack a cutting edge though, can't see them finishing enough chances (if they get them) to beat Brasil. They should have destroyed Switzerland but only got one goal, similar story against Honduras

All true but I still think they have a chance tonight. 1-1 could be a good correct score bet. If Sanchez was Brazilian thats your player of the tournament right there.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only grey area is where you stop and restart the game and how often these kind of decisions can be made.

i think the tennis thing of 3 appeals per set could apply equally well to football. say three a match, but you keep those in hand that you argue correctly. then play goes back whereever the appeal was made from -whether it's an offside or a goal line clearance, hand ball decision etc. i suppose the skipper or manager would have to decide on when and how to appeal.

it seems mad though that almost every other major sport - tennis, cricket, rugby - has this kind of technology but football doesn't. blatter is living in the past tbf

the only grey area is where you stop and restart the game and how often these kind of decisions can be made.

If the referee is in any doubt - go to the '3rd umpire' If he doesn't and he gets it wrong, balls on a skewer time :D

Seriously though, it's easy to tell when there is doubt - you can see it in the actions of those protesting. I reckon if a replay clearly shows someone is trying it on and that they knew fine well they're trying to pull a fast one then it's a yellow card.

Another call for technology with an atrocious decision. Massive replay in the stadium proves it's an offside and yet the ref still gives it.

Seriously, if FIFA can't source enough referees and assistants to run a decent World Cup, then they need to start relying on technology more. Some of the officiating at this World Cup has been fucking appalling.

Whaddya reckon about rolling out that 5 Official thing they tried in the UEFA cup (whatever it's called now)?

I love the logic that you can eliminate human error by introducing two extra humans.

well if they're not willing to take up technology, and they pushed a 5 official idea, it's sure;y better than nowt?

They need to go the technology route. This stuff that a World Cup Finals needs to be officiated in exactly the same way as a parks game is balls.

It's worked in cricket, its worked in rugby and its worked in tennis.

They either use a Hawkeye system on the goal-line or the fourth official has a tv screen in front of him and can buzz the ref.

Hey, I'm all for tech, but the FIFA fellas don't seem to be. Which is why I suggested their previous suggestion

Seriously, how much is it going to cost for goal-line technology?? two cameras, one positioned 10ft above each crossbar looking downwards linked to a monitor just inside the entrance to the players tunnel and a big screen if there is one. Couple of hundred quid at most and will take a matter of a minute to confirm either way.

As has been said already it works in cricket and that hasn't got half the revenue football does. Blatter is a control freak IMO.

For goaline stuff I'd go with exactly what Craig advocates. I wouldn't have the replays visible to the crowd either (during a game) if the concern is that its such a culture shock it might get into other areas of the game and bring the sport to it's knees. Whatever minimal time the relay of information takes is probably no greater than the time that can be lost by players arguing with the ref anyway.

I'd reject the idea for any other decisions though. When you see pundits sat in the studio arguing with each other after 20 replays from as many different angles you realise it's limitations, which you have to then weigh against the interruption to play. Theres more divergent interpretation with other rules than there is a unified understanding of them anyway and at the end of the day you just need someone applying them. In terms of offisde calls anyway I never get irate when you see a striker inches/a chink of light (ffs!) ahead of a defender when latching onto a through ball or reacting to a cross smashed in at 100 mph. Situations like that really arent what the rule was designed to combat in the first place tbh so I rarely see the injustice of it.

Is Andy Townsend suffering from brain damage? And what in Christ's name is up with Adrian Chiles' barnet?

"premier league, best to watch blah blah"

its this kind of thinking that leads to us having such a collection of shitstains as a national team, the PL isnt the best to watch, give me la liga anyday frankly

so who has been the stand-out players for you in this world cup so far??

For me diego forlan has had a fairly tidy world cup and looks 10x the player he was at old trafford.

Also that salcido(?) whos plays at left back for mexico, Looked to have a mean cross and shot for a defender.

For me diego forlan has had a fairly tidy world cup and looks 10x the player he was at old trafford.

Also that salcido(?) whos plays at left back for mexico, Looked to have a mean cross and shot for a defender.

Salcido was excellent, Alexis Sanchez playing for Chile tonight, just loves having the ball and looks good on it.

Messi of course, despite his lack of goals he (unlike rooney) is showing that the rest of his game is good enough at this level

Salcido was excellent, Alexis Sanchez playing for Chile tonight, just loves having the ball and looks good on it.

Messi of course, despite his lack of goals he (unlike rooney) is showing that the rest of his game is good enough at this level

Whos rooney?? That fat kid who plays for wembley FC? Not even worth talking about that bunch of spice boys.

Even when messi is having an "off" game hes still making things happen even if it isnt for him, I swear that ball is on string at times, Gutierrez must of lent him some :D

Whos rooney?? That fat kid who plays for wembley FC? Not even worth talking about that bunch of spice boys.

Even when messi is having an "off" game hes still making things happen even if it isnt for him, I swear that ball is on string at times, Gutierrez must of lent him some :D

its something of a cliche to say the balls glued to his feet now but watch him with it, it seems to be, it moves without him touching it staying right next to his feet, never more than 6-7 inches from him whenever he has it

its something of a cliche to say the balls glued to his feet now but watch him with it, it seems to be, it moves without him touching it staying right next to his feet, never more than 6-7 inches from him whenever he has it

The ball might aswell have been glued to rooneys arse because he certainly wasnt doing much in the footwork department, He of all them lazy fuckers who we have to be associated with looked the most devoid of any guile/skill/pace/brains. Thank god i live in newcastle and the england catchment area only reaches watford :rolleyes:

Ozil, Sweinsteiger, Sanchez, Forlan, Suarez, Tevez, Messi, Sneijder, Lucio, Maicon, Eduardo (portugese keeper)

Ozil, Sweinsteiger, Sanchez, Forlan, Suarez, Tevez, Messi, Sneijder, Lucio, Maicon, Eduardo (portugese keeper)

Think lucio is quite underrated, Maybe hes not a world class player but he never seems to put a foot out of place, No nonsense defending, Wouldn't mind seeing him in the prem.

"brazil take the lead with a british goal"?

WHAT

THE

FUCK

fuck off ITV

Aye. Only us Brits score from corners you know.

And what was that the Beeb came up with yesterday when introducing the match. 'This is the 51st match, or 5-1 if you prefer'. Jesus wept, what retard thought of that I wonder.

Just noticed in that Ad break that all the england associations have gone, carlign ad he just forgets the water again, nike hocus pocus ad is about robinho now etc

great goal from robinho.

can brazil and the argies meet in the final? two teams of the competition so far for me along with the dutch. a south american derby as a final would be class though.

Like a few of the Chile players - Vidal, Sanchez etc..Think Honda of Japan can give up the day job making cars. Nilmar should get more pitch time.