Spain win 2010 WORLD CUP.

Park Life

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw some people saying that was a good call? Did I miss something? There was a SA defender on the goal line, how was Vela not onside when he scored?

I had pegged this game at 2-1 Mex, only that awful decision robbed me. Next game, 2-0 to our cher cousines, I imagine.

:lol: Yanks

Figured it out on my own, thanks you tiresome cunt. Surprised you could spare a moment from arguing with Leazes.

Bit harsh :D Tbf it's a pretty basic part of the offside rule.

I saw some people saying that was a good call? Did I miss something? There was a SA defender on the goal line, how was Vela not onside when he scored?

I had pegged this game at 2-1 Mex, only that awful decision robbed me. Next game, 2-0 to our cher cousines, I imagine.

Figured it out on my own, thanks you tiresome cunt. Surprised you could spare a moment from arguing with Leazes.

Tbf you're a pretty basic troll.

On topic: Is this Nacho Gonzalez playing for Uruguay the one who Wisey brought in for us? EDIT: Yes, it is. Now his youtube compilations can include WC footage.

Edited by acrossthepond

On topic: Is this Nacho Gonzalez playing for Uruguay the one who Wisey brought in for us? EDIT: Yes, it is. Now his youtube compilations can include WC footage.

Calm down you daft twat, it was only a bit of banter before the big game. I hope your national team is as knowledgeable as you are about basic laws of the game :icon_lol:

Calm down you daft twat, it was only a bit of banter before the big game. I hope your national team is as knowledgeable as you are about basic laws of the game :icon_lol:

pic23.jpg

pic23.jpg

Old%20man%20in%20straitjacket.JPG

sussed

sussed

From what I gather, you have an different username that you used to deny was you. And I'm the troll :icon_lol:

will you two fuck off to your own thread, no use ruining another

on topic: nacho was shite as expected, neither sides deserved to win this so far though

on topic: nacho was shite as expected, neither sides deserved to win this so far though

He's clearly following me about... what the fuck am I supposed to do!

Put him on 'ignore' or simply not respond to what he says.

Andrew has a point BTW - keep the posts on topic, regardless of who started it.

Put him on 'ignore' or simply not respond to what he says.

Andrew has a point BTW - keep the posts on topic, regardless of who started it.

I will do then but he is somewhat of a serial offender!

I was born in the UK and live in New York. "My" national team is the same as yours.

But carry on.

On topic, how terrible was Domenech's team selection? His substitutions were awful as well. Govou was gash, Toulalan wasn't any better, and swapping Anelka out for Henry - keeping one striker on the pitch against an opponent who are obviously focusing on defence - only helped Uruguay blunt their attacks all the easier.

Tbf to Uruguay, they got what they came for and even had a handful of chances to win it. Class performance. Will probably come down to them v. Mexico.

Guardado and Gourcuff looked very good I thought.

The France game was terrible though, absolute dross. How Dommenech has nearly managed 6 years as manager I'll never know; his team were dire. Shame we're not in this group as we'd absolutely piss it tbh.

Got into rather a heated argument just 10 minutes ago with someone who basically spouted every Charlie Brooker-isms in the book about football. He happened to clock my St. George flag and went off on one. (yes I have one. It was given to me).

I retorted that that it's a bit of fun, a major world event (if not the biggest)and that I am a well-read graduate who's knuckles have never scraped the ground. I then told him to fuck off. It felt just like having a go at Mr. Brooker himself, much as I like his TV shows.

Got into rather a heated argument just 10 minutes ago with someone who basically spouted every Charlie Brooker-isms in the book about football. He happened to clock my St. George flag and went off on one. (yes I have one. It was given to me).

I retorted that that it's a bit of fun, a major world event (if not the biggest)and that I am a well-read graduate who's knuckles have never scraped the ground. I then told him to fuck off. It felt just like having a go at Mr. Brooker himself, much as I like his TV shows.

Charlie Brooker's Screen burn: World Cup'What puts me off the World Cup isn't the game but the hollow simulation of patriotism'

(636)Tweet this (275)Comments (238)

Charlie Brooker The Guardian, Saturday 5 June 2010 Article history

An ethereal Bobby Moore standing proudly beside a lion, from the Carlsberg ad.

I wish I enjoyed the World Cup, if only for some fleeting sense of common unity with the rest of humankind. But I simply don't get it. A huge number of my fellow citizens tune in and witness a glorious contest of ecstatic highs and heartbreaking lows. I see 22 millionaires ruining a lawn.

If the fans want to enjoy their sport, fair enough. Judging by their rapt faces, I'm the one losing out. What puts me off isn't the game itself, but the accompanying patriotism; or, more specifically, the hollow simulation of patriotism used to hawk products throughout the contest.

Take the current Carlsberg campaign featuring an insanely jingoistic dressing room "pep talk" which blathers on and mindlessly on about national pride. "Know this," the voiceover whispers portentously, "that shirt you're wearing? Your countrymen would give anything to put it on." Really, Carlsberg? I wouldn't put down a sandwich to lift the World Cup, let alone pull a sweat-sodden sports jersey over my head. And would even the most committed fans really do "anything" to wear it? Would they saw their own feet off with a bread knife dipped in cat piss? No. They wouldn't. So stop lying.

Having grossly overestimated the cachet of said hallowed shirt, the ad treats us to a cameo from virtually every notable English sporting hero of the past 50 years, pausing briefly for a patronising moment of silence for Sir Bobby Robson, before depicting an ethereal Bobby Moore, bathed in heavenly light at the top of the tunnel, standing proudly beside a lion. The whole thing plays like a masturbatory dream sequence for Al Murray's Pub Landlord character, the punchline being that the whole thing is a sales pitch for a Danish brewing company. The tagline should be: "Carlsberg: as English as Æbleskiver".

The American confectionery company Mars is also keen to pat our patriotic behinds. It's paid John Barnes to jokily recreate his notoriously poor rap from the 1990 New Order single World In Motion. And – ha, ha! – it's hopeless. But if you're not familiar with the original, it just looks as though we, the English, have absymal taste in music. Tourists watching this advert in their hotel rooms will spread tales of our cultural ineptitude on their return home. Thanks for that, Mars. Incidentally, Barnes's lyric has been altered, so he's now rapping about "three lions on a Mars", which rather implies that the sacred England shirt that Carling was getting religiously excited about is, in practice, interchangeable with a calorific chocolate-and-nougat slab.

Japanese technology giant Sony is also capitalising on the World Cup. It's got an advert starring Brazilian star Kaka which aims to convince viewers to trade in their old TV sets for shiny new 3D ones. It's an exciting prospect, only slightly undermined by the fact that the World Cup is being transmitted in the UK by the BBC and ITV, neither of whom will be broadcasting any of the matches in 3D. In fact, if you want to watch the World Cup in three dimensions, you'll have to go to the cinema, where Sony plans to show it, in 3D, on around 50 screens. That'll mean leaving your brand-new 3D telly at home, of course. But never mind. You can watch Avatar when you come back. In 2D. Because the 3D version won't be out until months after the World Cup. So you might as well not bother getting a 3D TV till then. And come to think of it, it's probably best not to bother anyway, because Avatar is rubbish. (I couldn't stand that tribe of pious, humourless, surly blue luddites. Fuck their stupid tree. I was cheering on the bulldozers).

There are other adverts of course: Coca-Cola, Nike, Pepsi-Cola, BP, Blackwater Security, The Tyrell Corporation, Damien Thorn Enterprises and so on. All hitting the same phoney note of concord, all somehow cheapening the fun that millions will extract from the tournament itself. Not me, though. I'll be out of the country for the whole thing. When I think of all the adverts I'll miss, I'll try not to sob too loudly.

So did this gadge have a go at you for "the hollow simulation of patriotism used to hawk products throughout the contest." :lol:

So did this gadge have a go at you for "the hollow simulation of patriotism used to hawk products throughout the contest." :lol:

Nah he was a bit more broadstrokes than that. "it's for kids. It's pointless." and insulting general football fans intelligence.

Brooker was actually being quite mild in that article, Konnie Huq must've mellowed him out a little.