The hype that is England

LeazesMag

Lets face it we are wank. It doesn't matter who manages us, we'll never win fuck all while it feels like a chore to hold the ball. Some kraut said English footballers are lions in the winter and lambs in the spring, it's true. Fair enough the German players played as many games last season, but it's not as demanding as the high octane Premiership, and fast attacking passing is all very good, but you need to vary it at international level, and I don't think we can do it. I think the culture of our football dictates we will never win anything regardless who is in charge.

The culture in our country isn't right for us to win big international tournaments, club football is far more important than England. With Dave Richards being handed control, I can't see that changing anytime soon.

I'm 50-50 on whether Capello should go. I take onboard what Graham Taylor said about him gaining valuable tournament experience, but is he too stubborn to act on it?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all about self belief, confidence, and being allowed to express yourself. I've always been anoyed by managers who worry too much about the opposition and not playing to your own strengths. I know that occasionally you need to target an opposition player, Sir Berb used to do it sometimes with varying success (fucking Poyet) but if you do it all the time then what are you actually achieving? I truly believe that at SJP we can be the 12th man, but we can also be a right pain in the arse if things aren't going well..which is when players lose their confidence and play the safe ball rather than the clever one. I think England are in that rut at the minute, it was classic McClaren and the reason he got the boot, but it appears to have crept back in.

If Capello were a man he'd walk. Doubt he will and he will be sacked.

I would've had Hodgson to replace him but it appears Woy is headed to Liverpool. Really can't think of another decent candidate. :D

I would've had Hodgson to replace him but it appears Woy is headed to Liverpool. Really can't think of another decent candidate. :D

Redknapp.

Redknapp.

I despise him. I suppose he would be good though, probably better than Capello, and there's no financial aspect to England so he can't send them into administration...can he? :rolleyes:

Redknapp.

I thin redknapps strengths lie in transfers though, not sure he'd be the right guy for international management

Redknapp.

I despise him. I suppose he would be good though, probably better than Capello, and there's no financial aspect to England so he can't send them into administration...can he? :rolleyes:

He's a candidate though is all I'm saying. I think he could do a reasonable job though btw. The next Venables in terms of geezerishness too. :)

It's crazy to talk of Redknapp as being better than Capello imo. In the immediate aftermath of the game I wasn't sure what to think about him staying/going. The more I think about it, the more I think he has to stay.

I think we should stick with Capello, at least until then next Euros. He has made some mistakes but the man has a superb track record - 9 league championships in 16 years - thats why he was appointed

The fact is that the media have vilified every England Manager in the last 20 years, including Keegan and Robson. They can't all be bad

The bottom line is he can only be as good as the resources at his disposal and unfortunately the resources he had available were well over rated and way off anything that was ever going to challenge for the world cup.

The only way Droopy bollocks would be any better than Capello would be the fact he would pander to the players. It's not Capello's fault he's dealing with a bunch of overpaid, overrated fannies who don't like being told what to do.

Edited by Jonny2J

Can't see the FA appointing 'arry as he's been charged with tax evasion and is up in court sometime this year. As mentioned Woy is Merseyside bound which leaves Big Sam and Gary Megson. Even the FA aren't thats desperate....are they?

Capello will cling on for the Euro's campaign....how the players will feel about that is unknown, but could we see a centre back of certain London club "retiring from international football"?

Can't beleive how badly Capello got nearly everything wrong this summer...but SBR lost 3 out of 3 at Euro 88 but clung on to producewhat is still England's best side since 66. I think due to lack of serious options Capello will get another chance too.

I think we should stick with Capello, at least until then next Euros........................................

The bottom line is he can only be as good as the resources at his disposal .................................

The resources at his disposal are every player in the world who is not injured, old enough, and eligible to play for England.

That gives him a wide choice of players good or bad, but his choice of Phillips over Johnson, Lennon over Walcott, injury prone King. past it Carrager, and tuppense a ride Heskey, to name a few makes me think he didn't study his resources or alternatives well enough.

In the immediate aftermath of the game I wasn't sure what to think about him staying/going. The more I think about it, the more I think he has to stay.

Agreed. I hope he acts on what he's learnt about tournament football and that he moves away from 442 though.

I think we should stick with Capello, at least until then next Euros........................................

The bottom line is he can only be as good as the resources at his disposal .................................

The resources at his disposal are every player in the world who is not injured, old enough, and eligible to play for England.

That gives him a wide choice of players good or bad, but his choice of Phillips over Johnson, Lennon over Walcott, injury prone King. past it Carrager, and tuppense a ride Heskey, to name a few makes me think he didn't study his resources or alternatives well enough.

I'm sorely tempted to answer this, but I'll be accused of derailing the thread [even though I started it in the first place]

:D

Guest alex

I'll give you SWP over Johnson but is Walcott any better than Lennon? Especially on form leading up to the tournament. Also, you have a pop at him for some other selections but don't give alternatives. I think that illustrates Brummie has a point.

Still not convinced why we didn't take Ashley Young, good techinical player with pace. He might have had an average season, but so did most of the others and some had inj issues to boot.