Steven Taylor Transfer Listed

Guest Tuco Ramirez

I'd guess the club wouldn't offer him a worse contract anyway. I'd say his auld lad is pricking about again.

I've not(personally) seen him playing in a while-he always seems to be injured when I'm at a game. Centre back is defo a position that you get a better feel for a player, when you're watching a match from the stands, as opposed to tv. Can any match-goers fill me in on how he was playing recently?

Last season he was good, but so were Coloccini, Williamson and Kadar. I have no faith that Taylor will cut out the arm waving and improve to a level where he's not a liability in the top flight though.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a bit of a Glen Johnson of a defender.. But i imagine his stock will rise with a good manager...

that's my worry. if we let him go, he's bound to turn into a full england international. would be typical - look how good milner became after he left us.

Or Bramble more-so, although that was out-of-the-blue...

I think people expecting Taylor to develop are forgetting he's played over 100 top flight games or something. I've frequently heard it was down to partnerships as well when he didn't perform but Bassong gave the lie to that one. Milner is a red herring too because many of us thought CM was his position and that's where he's thrived (KK tried him there pre-season too iirc) as he lacks the pace to play wide and he isn't significantly better as a player than he was here either. And he's overrated. Good player mind. Milner that is :) I expect Taylor's stock to fall once he no longer has the local hero thing to fall back on.

Edited by alex

I think people expecting Taylor to develop are forgetting he's played over 100 top flight games or something. I've frequently heard it was down to partnerships as well when he didn't perform but Bassong gave the lie to that one. Milner is a red herring too because many of us thought CM was his position and that's where he's thrived (KK tried him there pre-season too iirc) as he lacks the pace to play wide and he isn't significantly better as a player than he was here either. And he's overrated. Good player mind. Milner that is :) I expect Taylor's stock to fall once he no longer has the local hero thing to fall back on.

I dont rate him that hightly. Decent by our own standard but being home grown has made him be elevated above his real value. Quite prone to errors iyam.

As we don't know what the other players are getting salary wise, its difficult to say if his reported wage demands are too high. You have to wonder how much the likes of ameobi is on and how much perch is getting. Or Williamson. Taylor is by no means the only player out there who thinks his worth is more than his employers might. If he can get more going somewhere else then thats the business.

He might have looked at smalling and said FFS, If he can get that, so can I.

Isn't Collo on 80 or so per week?

Indeed he is but it's a moot point as we're now operating under different financial restraints.

Moot indeed, having said that it makes you wonder what happens to likes of Colo, Guti and Enrique as their bumper contracts run down.

Colo's hardly going to be happy with an offer to half his wages.

Isn't Collo on 80 or so per week?

Indeed he is but it's a moot point as we're now operating under different financial restraints.

Moot indeed, having said that it makes you wonder what happens to likes of Colo, Guti and Enrique as their bumper contracts run down.

Colo's hardly going to be happy with an offer to half his wages.

Indeed. Hopefully they'll see sense and take a cut or we'll be in a position where we can afford to resign them on similar deals. Highly unlikely I know but that's the only way I can see them staying.

he'll be in for a rude awakening when he sees what other clubs are willing to offer him, looking at the likes of everton/blackburn who are likely to fancy him neither will offer him more than 40k because hes not more than 40ks worth of player

At the moment the only club I could see paying him that much who might be interested is Spurs - maybe its a week too late since they signed Gallas - though I was reading that Woodgate could be perma-fucked.

i can see ashley getting rid and not replacing him. don't mind him going if he's relaced with better quality. but will that happen?

we're still a striker and midfielder short imo and we could be on the verge of dispatching a centre back that can also probably cover right back better than either perch or simpson.

Campbell, Colocini, Williamson, Perch and Kadar can all play CB so it's not our weakest position.

not our strongest either when you look at that lot

Where do we have more strength in depth then?

Midfield, without question..

was gonna say grounds keepers or stewards. ... maybe not.

The thing is these days playing Cd isn't as straight forward as it used to be and a fair amount of intelligence/anticipation is required.

Why would opting to sign at a much reduced salary be seeing sense? If somebody is willing to offer him the same salary as he gets now to move on I'd say it would be senseless to stay.

He's on £35k at the moment isn't he?