Capello to quit as England Manager after Euro 2012.

shackbleep

weird timing indeed. why tell the world now? makes him a lame duck if you ask me

Totally disagree, it empowers him as he can drop players without caring what the UK media will write as his job isn't on the line

Haven't the FA been making noises recently about getting an English man lined up to replace Capello? I guess we'll know his successor pretty soon then.

Fat Sam will be packing his suitcase....in his head ;)

Look which Cockney Cunt has pipped up....

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp says it would be "hard to turn down" the England job should he be approached to replace manager Fabio Capello.

Capello confirmed he will quit after Euro 2012 and Redknapp is favourite to succeed the Italian, with Blackburn's Sam Allardyce another likely candidate.

"If you're an Englishman it would be hard to turn it down. It's the pinnacle of your career," said Redknapp.

"If you've got good players, managing England wouldn't be that difficult."

The 63-year-old Spurs boss added: "And we've got good players, so I'm sure somebody out there could do it."

However, he stressed: "Honestly, it's not something I sit at home and ever think about. I really don't.

"2012? I look at my life and I worry about next week, to be honest."

Redknapp was backed as a future England manager by West Brom boss Roberto di Matteo, who described him as "the obvious successor" to Capello.

"Harry is a great guy, a great manager, a football guy," said Di Matteo, whose team face Tottenham in the Premier League on Saturday.

"He has done a terrific job at Spurs and is very likeable."

Redknapp insisted that any replacement for 64-year-old Capello, who earns £6m a year to manage the national side, must be English.

"Why do the English lads waste their time doing their coaching badges and all the rest of the work if they're never going to get the chance to manage at the top level?," asked Redknapp.

"I want to see an Englishman get the job - whoever it may be - and there are lots of lads out there who could do that job, I'm sure."

Redknapp has steered Tottenham to the Champions League group stage for the first time this season, having joined the White Hart Lane outfit from Portsmouth in October 2008 when the north Londoners were bottom of the Premier League table with only two points.

He also hit out at the lack of opportunities available to English coaches.

"There are people out there in the lower divisions who could do my job, without a doubt," he stated.

"John Still at Dagenham and Redbridge could do my job. He understands the game, fantastic on the game. Never gets a chance to manage in the Premier League."

Blackburn manager Allardyce, who was interviewed for the England role after Sven-Goran Eriksson's departure in 2006 but overlooked in favour of Steve McClaren, said it was "too soon" to be thinking about applying again.

"I don't think past one week, and if I get past one month then I'm very, very lucky," Allardyce reflected.

The 55-year-old added to Redknapp's calls for Capello to be replaced by an English coach.

"I'd always like to see an Englishman succeed but the politics that are behind it is very, very difficult to overcome sometimes because it depends where you are and what you're doing at that particular time if you're English," continued Allardyce.

Capello succeeded McClaren in 2007 but was heavily criticised for the national team's disappointing performance at the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.

However, England are joint top of Group G after two Euro 2012 qualifying wins.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8985545.stm

Evidently reckons he's a 'shoe in'. Fuck off Harry! However if he does get it, I hope that comment in bold comes back to haunt him...

'Appy 'Arry'll get it like. Lord have mercy when he does.

As for Capello, he's rubbish and should've gone after the WC. A couple of wins against lesser footballing powers don't change that.

neither does one bad tournament compared to his record across his entire carreer

As for Capello, he's rubbish and should've gone after the WC. A couple of wins against lesser footballing powers don't change that.

neither does one bad tournament compared to his record across his entire carreer

Spot on.

Can't stand Redknapp. He'll get the job but I pray he doesn't.

His record at club level, sure. Sven had a good record at club level as well, and you might argue McClaren's case to some extent. Didn't change that they weren't good enough to manage England. I feel the same way about Capello.

Spot on.

I agree with Andrew, it agitates me when people have a bash at Cappello. Compared to Redknapp and his one credible trophy (FA Cup), he has nothing on Fabio in terms of honours at club level. He's like Steve Mclaren in my eyes, but with a mouthpiece that does nothing but churn out utter implausible shite, the above quote for example. In terms of class, check out his foul-mouthed rant in the self-titled thread, he seemed indignifed when the reporter suggested he was a 'wheeler dealer', which in truth is correct. I feel as if Redknapp pretends to be the public, giving details about transfers, being open about internal policies at Tottenham, the thing is when labelled at what I'm referring to, his scrotum face wobbles in pure rage as if someone has just shitted on his Tesco sandwich.

Edited by Acid

Spot on.

I agree with Andrew, it agitates me when people have a bash at Cappello. Compared to Redknapp and his one credible trophy (FA Cup), he has nothing on Fabio in terms of honours at club level. He's like Steve Mclaren in my eyes, but with a mouthpiece that does nothing but churn out utter implausible shite, the above quote for example. In terms of class, check out his foul-mouthed rant in the self-titled thread, he seemed indignifed when the reporter suggested he was a 'wheeler dealer', which in truth is correct. I feel as if Redknapp pretends to be the public, giving details about transfers, being open about internal policies at Tottenham, the thing is when labelled at what I'm referring to, his scrotum face wobbles in pure rage as if someone has just shitted on his Tesco sandwich.

Look, I'll be the last one to suggest that 'Arry would be my pick for England manager. I hate his guts and he's not even close to ask good as Capello. But I don't think England will succeed at the Euros with Capello in charge. I'd rather have someone proven, like Hiddink or Luis Aragones. Maybe I'm talking shite - wouldn't be the first time - but I have zero confidence in him.

I suspect 'Arry would be viewed as too dodgy by the FA to risk appointing. Too wide, too many skeletons for the blazer brigade is my guess. I think that's why 'Arry was so touchy about the 'wheeler dealer' comment.

I know it's a different era but SBR didn't even manage to qualify for his first major tournament and England were awful at his 2nd one. Not defending some of the bad decisions he made but I seriously doubt we'll get anyone better when he goes as the FA already seem to be suggesting it'll be an Englishman.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/ma...ngland-ambition

A man of integrity may have quit in light of the above but what England need is a long term view, manager and system - which we now know hits another speedbump in 2012.

It doesn't matter who gets the job because by the time the next tournament arrives the whole country will return to deluded fervour and the cycle continues. If the nation could somehow steel itself with humility and hope rather than lager and expectation that may help.

At least with Newcastle there's a few cups every season to not win, with England it's 2 years of hype and scandal followed by a few games of disappointing millionaire spackajacks.

I'm still disgusted by the World Cup debacle and the absolute lack of explanation from anyone as to what went wrong. This is further fueled by the recent good performances and yet more revelations (well, can the inevitable be a revelation?) about how odious and arrogant these national representatives are.

I think the foreign manager experiment has failed, it's not right because the level of passion and meaning can never hit the mark from a man who is not your countryman. He is just doing a job, not representing his nation, and is never likely to be able to rouse the team with a Churchillian speech.

Having said that I don't know who the next England manager should be, probably Hodgson but Liverpool might kill him and how long term could he be anyway?