tiotes debut and Ben arfa's first full game.

tinofbeans

Looks like Check Tiote is just the man we need in the middle of the park, thought he controlled the game well, from his position. thought ben arfa looked comfortably better than either of the 2 outgoing wingers and he keeps it well and passes cleverly unlike routledge and gutierrez.

seems Chris hughton needs a pat on the back for bringing these 2 in, shame we couldn't get a mobile forward to replace carroll for when he's in clink.

Looks like Check Tiote is just the man we need in the middle of the park, thought he controlled the game well, from his position. thought ben arfa looked comfortably better than either of the 2 outgoing wingers and he keeps it well and passes cleverly unlike routledge and gutierrez.

seems Chris hughton needs a pat on the back for bringing these 2 in, shame we couldn't get a mobile forward to replace carroll for when he's in clink.

My one reservation about Tiote is he seemed to turn in to blind areas a lot. That's all well and good if you get away with it, but I can see occasions when he'll get caught in posession and it is quite easy for opposition midfielders to predict.

I was about to write just "I actually trust him to get a good striker now given he got these two" but then i there's Leon Best & Pancrate as a reminder..

Different times/circumstances, limited budget tho isn't it..

They were both magnificnet, I've no desire to get picky about this and that. What Tiote does with the ball or where he goes is very much dictated to who is available for a pass. He does the best thing which is hold onto it move forward a bit and wait for a pass.

My one reservation about Tiote is he seemed to turn in to blind areas a lot. That's all well and good if you get away with it, but I can see occasions when he'll get caught in posession and it is quite easy for opposition midfielders to predict.

He'll learn he can't do that in the next game when Essien puts him in his place i guess

Doubt he'll be playing

very encouraging performances from both new players. if they can keep it up, it looks like hughton has picked up a couple of gems. hopefully ashley make sure we secure ben arfa on a permanent contract after the loan expires.

Chris Hughton gave full Premier League debuts to two new midfielders on Saturday – Hatem Ben Arfa and Cheick Tioté. Ben Arfa made the most obvious impact, with a stunning 30-yard drive that turned out to be the game's only goal, but Tioté also impressed in a more low-key role. Starting in place of Alan Smith, Tioté's calm, reliable distribution in the centre of the pitch allowed Newcastle to control the midfield. Indeed, they actually out-passed Everton on Saturday, recording 276 passes compared to the home side's 260. It may be a narrow margin but not many sides will achieve that at Goodison Park this season – not even Manchester United, who lost out 329-298 in that respect. Tioté was the key to this – completing all of his 43 passes. He also made two interceptions, completed all three of his attempted tackles, and his only shot was on target.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/se...kboard-analysis

Edited by Barney

Its an automatic clause after 25 games

That we have to offer for him, or that he has to sign for us?

That the minute he steps onto the pitch for his 25th game he becomes our player for good for £5mil ish. Was a gamble, but could turn out to be shrewd business.

Mind you I'm not quite jumping on the bandwagon just yet, he had a decent first game but we are making him out to be Zico atm. Let's see how he looks on a pissy December night at Bolton.

Its an automatic clause after 25 games

That we have to offer for him, or that he has to sign for us?

That the minute he steps onto the pitch for his 25th game he becomes our player for good for £5mil ish. Was a gamble, but could turn out to be shrewd business.

Mind you I'm not quite jumping on the bandwagon just yet, he had a decent first game but we are making him out to be Zico atm. Let's see how he looks on a pissy December night at Bolton.

:)

Thing is, Tioté may turn out to be the more... important? signing. I mean, yes Ben Arfa will win us games as he did against Everton, but Cheeky will certainly prove a less static defensive midfielder than Smith and obviously a better distributor. I reckon Cheeky will do what Given used to, I think he'll save us games.

Very pleased with both off the back of one game, but given that the game was against a decent side, where we were superior for the majority and it was an impressive tea performance I wouldn't expect their performances to be flash in the pan.

I thought Tiote had a hell of a game, especially for a debut.

Was he really as good as I thought or was it just that he was so much better than what I've been used to with Smith?

I think this covers it

Chris Hughton gave full Premier League debuts to two new midfielders on Saturday – Hatem Ben Arfa and Cheick Tioté. Ben Arfa made the most obvious impact, with a stunning 30-yard drive that turned out to be the game's only goal, but Tioté also impressed in a more low-key role. Starting in place of Alan Smith, Tioté's calm, reliable distribution in the centre of the pitch allowed Newcastle to control the midfield. Indeed, they actually out-passed Everton on Saturday, recording 276 passes compared to the home side's 260. It may be a narrow margin but not many sides will achieve that at Goodison Park this season – not even Manchester United, who lost out 329-298 in that respect. Tioté was the key to this – completing all of his 43 passes. He also made two interceptions, completed all three of his attempted tackles, and his only shot was on target.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/se...kboard-analysis

Signs for £5m after 25 full games.

Which will be peanuts. Dare I say at last the football gods have turned? One good season in the PL and we're looking at a 15m player IMO.

thanks Gypsy Curse boy... :)