Kevin Nolan

Anorthernsoul

He's fairly physical and sits between the forwards and midfield. He's also handy on set pieces.

If we had two strikers Id agree, but we don't.

He goes missing for massive spells in games and when he does appear his first touch is like a baby rhino.

I'd rather have two decent attacking options in games, either Carroll & Lovenkrands or give Ranger a chance.

He's fairly physical and sits between the forwards and midfield. He's also handy on set pieces.

He goes missing for massive spells in games and when he does appear his first touch is like a baby rhino.

I'd rather have two decent attacking options in games, either Carroll & Lovenkrands or give Ranger a chance.

..and there is the problem.

Classic example of a player being slightly too good for the championship and not good enough for the prem.

now that Ben Arfa is out for 4-6 months ( i'm guessing), we need another option. he's just not good enough at this level.

Classic example of a player being slightly too good for the championship and not good enough for the prem.

now that Ben Arfa is out for 4-6 months ( i'm guessing), we need another option. he's just not good enough at this level.

I wouldn't say he was too good for the championship. He did well last season but he didn't set the league on fire.

He can score more than enough goals to be worth a place in the championship though as Luke said, goals apart he didn't set it alight, but in the prem in games when he misses his chance/chances then overall you've often played with 10 men and we can't afford that.

Until his injury i'm sure we'd all have played Ben Arfa there ahead of Nolan, if you're not going for two strikers or we'd have played a striker off Carroll, certainly at home against the teams we've been losing to. Away from home Hughton hasn't been bad at all, good effort at Wolves, great display at Everton and but for a cheating cunt of a ref we might have had a draw or even a win today, so his tactics there aren't so bad, but at home we can't afford Nolan where he is.

I don't blame Hughton for not wanting to take many risks with younger players, we're hardly a settled PL side.

I'm sure they'll get more chances later in the season as the injuries mount up, and if/when we get a bit more comfortable in terms of our position in the table.

I don't blame Hughton for not wanting to take many risks with younger players, we're hardly a settled PL side.

I'm sure they'll get more chances later in the season as the injuries mount up, and if/when we get a bit more comfortable in terms of our position in the table.

Hope so but doubt it, reckon he'd just throw in Smith again if Nolan got injured or Lovenkrands etc

Ah ya, he's class on free-kicks, that thing he does where he's blocking the keeper... legend..

Ameobi was fine today, him and Carroll are a far better option than a lone striker and 'the juggernaut'.

No he wasn't he was fucking useless. I don't know if you were at the game or just watched it on the telly but everyone around me could see how his lack of movement was causing us massive problems going forward. He's unbelievably lazy more so than Robert ever was. The rest of the team were moving forward looking for a pass and he was just standing still. There's no was to pick out a pass to someone who's so easily marked.

I don't know why Caroll didn't satrt but if he was fit, this was a major error by Hughton yesterday.

He's fat, he's round, he bounces off the ground...

I guess it's a sign of my age that the next line in my head is "Micky Quinn, Micky Quinn".

As for Nolan, I think the question should be "What is it he's doing to make sure he's included" rather than what he actually brings...

He can score more than enough goals to be worth a place in the championship though as Luke said, goals apart he didn't set it alight, but in the prem in games when he misses his chance/chances then overall you've often played with 10 men and we can't afford that.

Until his injury i'm sure we'd all have played Ben Arfa there ahead of Nolan, if you're not going for two strikers or we'd have played a striker off Carroll, certainly at home against the teams we've been losing to. Away from home Hughton hasn't been bad at all, good effort at Wolves, great display at Everton and but for a cheating cunt of a ref we might have had a draw or even a win today, so his tactics there aren't so bad, but at home we can't afford Nolan where he is.

Agree with that.

Anyone see the ball come towards Shola, 2nd half, and Kompany slide in to intercept, but missed. Shola's touch was so shit, that it then came to him, but it bounced off him and went back to Kompany.

I thought Shola held it up quite well.

It was as though Nolan didnt fancy him to win anything so never gambled on any flick ons etc.

He did as long as the ball came straight to him from a clearance. The problem was he didn't offer any movement at all so when we were trying to build attacks we had nothing to aim for. Especially if we broke with any sort of pace as he was still lolloping around in the centre circle/our half when our midfielders/defenders were looking to play a striker in.

Nolan occupying the final 1/3 compresses our attack, there's not enough wide/exchange passing play in the wide channels. It isolates our wingers, as too often they lack an 'inside outlet' [a simple passing option, a get out of jail card when under heavy defensive pressure]. Providing that consistent inside option is a pre-requiste of that floating/roaming forward role, epitomised by Bellamy.

I'd rather Ranger in that role tbh, over Nolan that is, for the overall good of the team. His link-up play and technique are both solid, he has the athletic/physical attributes to play sideline-to-sideline and more importantly he keeps his head up while on the ball. He suits the wide workhorse type of role i speak of imo, with Vuckic slated in as Barton's possible replacement in the middle [over time].

It may well prove to be the ideal way to blood the lad over the short-mid term. It will allow Ranger to play with a bit more abandon/freedom, and being more of a workhorse in the final 1/3 there's less pressure of having to become a prolific striker straight away.

Edited by Year Zero

Nolan occupying the final 1/3 compresses our attack, there's not enough wide/exchange passing play in the wide channels. It isolates our wingers, as too often they lack an 'inside outlet' [a simple passing option, a get out of jail card when under heavy defensive pressure]. Providing that consistent inside option is a pre-requiste of that floating/roaming forward role, epitomised by Bellamy.

I'd rather Ranger in that role tbh, over Nolan that is, for the overall good of the team. His link-up play and technique are both solid, he has the athletic/physical attributes to play sideline-to-sideline and more importantly he keeps his head up while on the ball. He suits the wide workhorse type of role i speak of imo, with Vuckic slated in as Barton's possible replacement in the middle [over time].

It may well prove to be the ideal way to blood the lad over the short-mid term. It will allow Ranger to play with a bit more abandon/freedom, and being more of a workhorse in the final 1/3 there's less pressure of having to become a prolific striker straight away.

I agree with the sentiment, but think Ranger's an odd choice.

I haven't seen anything that suggests he'd perform well in the role you describe, in short I don't think he's got a "footballing brain", the kind of viison you need from a player operating in that role.

I'd say Vuckic over Ranger in that role. Vuckic looks decently quick, can score and a decent passer. A long term project obviously. Not sure what sort of role Ranger is best suited to to be honest.

I'd say Vuckic over Ranger in that role. Vuckic looks decently quick, can score and a decent passer. A long term project obviously. Not sure what sort of role Ranger is best suited to to be honest.

I thought you watched the Chelsea match because he looked none of the above that game.