Video Game Addiction - when it becomes a problem.

Dolly Potter MD

A former work colleague of mine and probably former mate, spends a minimum of eight hours a day on Modern Warfare [Ps3], and that's during his working week. Works eight hours, plays for about eight straight [with a brief meal break], and sleeps off the rest.

*He and his fiancee don't speak during so-called gaming time [which dominates the family living room], and any input regarding a family-type of discussion is viewed as an interruption.

*If mates do happen to visit him there's no such thing as a conversation. The headphone set remains planted to his head. Unsocial & rude in short.

*And because the headphones are planted to his head all the time [in addition to his eyes being fixed to the big-screen] he failed to pick up on a few warning signs concerning his kids ie. his daughter [10 or 11 years old] lost her virginity to a lad a few years older than her. The young lass actually snack out of the house, and was able to catch a one hour bus ride to the young lad's house before he even knew she was going, right underneath the dumb c**t's nose while he was supposedly babysitting.

*Loss of physical conditioning. This bloke was formerly a very fit forty year old.

*Aggression on his part. He threatened to boot his missus out on to the street after she threatened to accidentally scratch his disk while he was at work, since taking the piss out of him wasn't working with comments like 'i'll have to get a physio to scrape you off the couch'

On-line gaming is arguably the greatest social evil going around at the minute.

Edited by Year Zero

On-line gaming is arguably the greatest social evil going around at the minute.

;) was with you up until this point. have a fucking word with yourself!

I enjoy a game of CoD as much as the next man, but can only last an hour max before I feel sick from playing.

Your mate does sound a taity picker, like. 8 hours solid? I don't think I've done anything for 8 hours solid in my life if I'm honest.

Maybe you should break into his house in the middle of the night and steal his station.

Then touch his wife and leave.

'probably former mate'

Is that because you're going to finish him or because you could never tell if he wanted to shoot you between the eyes or not?

;)

It's a simply a waste of my time [and others] to go out of your way to see a bloke, with a couple of beers in tow, only to extract yes & no answers and the occasional nod of the head. Blokes like this [the example provided] are waste of oxygen.

Fish: the greater evil in this instance is the bloke not giving a fuck about the welfare & goings-on of his kid/daughter [not picking up on signs], with the preference geared towards the amount of kills that he could rack up in X amount of games over lengthy period.

sounds like a right loser tbh. the only game i play these days in pro evo - and only when the boys are over and the wives are all busy. i always found video games more of a group social thing. a few beers/smokes and a few games with the lad. can't imagine playing any games on my own these days. even if i wanted to, the wife wouldn't allow it. i used to quite like champ man back in the day mind.

what's his gamertag?

Even though i've watched him a couple of times i have no idea, it all flies past mt eyes too quickly. But it's special forces based moniker - something with Delta or Gurkha in it. Myself and another mate popped around to see him a couple of weeks ago. We wore out our welcome pretty quickly, we're both too muck of a distraction. I think we broke up his concentration, and subsequently stuffed up a 22 kill streak, or something like that.