How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

Well no, I'm going on what I've read and the results I've achieved after following that advice but I'm not a former biochemistry student like Renton. I'd be interested to read his reply. I'm not so arrogant not to be happy to be proven wrong by an expert in a field, which tbf mate you are not.

I never claimed to be though ;)

From wiki. No idea if its true or not.

Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low energy intake levels. During short periods of energy abstinence, the human body will burn primarily free fatty acids from body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has depleted its body fat and begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.[2]

I never claimed to be though ;)

Neither have I. I just tried to share some of the things that have worked for me. And things that haven't. And you don't need to be an expert to observe that the type of crash dieting you embark on rarely works in the long term.

Renton sounds like he has a qualification in the field though so I'm not about to pretend I know more than him if some of the stuff I've read and passed on turns out to be incorrect.

Always been massively self-conscious about my weight so don't talk about it on here. I lost 3 stone before I had the bairn and have put quite a lot of it back on since. However, I've lost 10lb this month so there you go.

Fuck knows how with the amount I drank at the weekend. I can't even look at a bottle of wine and it took me til Tuesday to get over Saturday night. Lightweight.

Well the annual big health push starts tomorrow. Bit later than normal due to a post New Year nasty cold type virus that has hung around most of the month.

Starting weight is 14 stone 6 1/2 pounds and I have no doubt whatsoever that come 1st March I will have lost a stone.

Treadmill and exercise bike have been dusted down, unhealthy food left off the shopping list and Alcohol given up for the month of February.

Well with a day to spare Im happy to report today's weight on the magic scales is 13 stones, 6 pounds and a quarter.

So far lost 1 stone and a quarter of a pound.

Didn't even have to give up alcohol.

I shall now ponder my next target.

Edited by Christmas Tree

Always been massively self-conscious about my weight so don't talk about it on here. I lost 3 stone before I had the bairn and have put quite a lot of it back on since. However, I've lost 10lb this month so there you go.

Well done. :D

I've had a CT-diet sort of week. Thursday - cider all night & a takeaway pizza after the match. Friday - went to the gym but then ate half a large tub of frozen yoghurt. Saturday - gym again but then a big curry, few slices of garlic bread, bottle of wine and several ciders. Sunday - ciders all day for the match on just a Greggs sarnie. Monday - the rest of the frozen yoghurt and a Chinese takeaway, barely moved all day. Tuesday - walked a few miles but for a 3 course Italian meal. Wednesday - normal day in terms of food and gym.

I've ended up at my lightest since I started recording my weight with ½lb off since last week. :lol: Proof that scale weight isn't all it's cracked up to be though, I can feel additional fat wobbling around my middle.

Head back in the game this week...

I can't really claim that it's baby weight, he's 4 next week :lol:

My mrs lost the baby weight unbelievably quickly. Apparently breast feeding is brilliant for that as you burn calories every time the bairn nurses.

I was a bit like CT. the wife was eating like a horse post pregnancy and her weight was falling off, I was joining in overeating to keep her company (naturally) and skipping the gym loads due to fatigue from the sleepless nights. So I was the one that put on the most fat.

Can you count the calories in spices or is it just not worth it.

it really isn't worth it. spices clearly aren't the things you need to worry about when it comes to putting on weight

Neither have I. I just tried to share some of the things that have worked for me. And things that haven't. And you don't need to be an expert to observe that the type of crash dieting you embark on rarely works in the long term.

Renton sounds like he has a qualification in the field though so I'm not about to pretend I know more than him if some of the stuff I've read and passed on turns out to be incorrect.

I'm going back to undergraduate memories of biochemistry now some 20 years ago, but tell me what possible evolutionary advantage would the body burning protein before fat have? I can tell you some obvious disadvantages though. Firstly, burning protein is inefficient and has much less calorific energy than fat. Secondly, protein is high in elements such as nitrogen, sulphur and phosphorus. These tend to form quite toxic by-products. Thirdly, losing muscle mass is going to hamper any animal from hunting prey.Of course going on a starvation diet (for a medium length of time) is going to make you feel weak and too lethargic to exercise, and isn't going to end in a good look. But you're not going to be metabolising your muscles unless you've been holidaying in Belsen.

Feeling so tired now. Not been in the gym for a couple of weeks with being ill and then working in London and not getting back till late. Back in on Thursday but without a run, so today tried a run. Couldn't get past 4k, and it was a slooooow 4k. Felt like a massive effort the whole way. Hate being ill when you've built up a head of steam in the gym, just seems to destroy any small amount of fitness I've built up. Not dropped my weights from when I put them up just before being ill though, so happy with that, although felt a bit sick at the end!

13-6.5

So overall 4.5 off last week and managed to maintain my goal weight over the weekend.

Have given my next goal quite a lot of thought and as things seem to be going pretty well, I see no reason not to lose another stone by April fools day.

Any less of a target might see me easing off the healthy habits Ive set myself.

That should also leave April free to be exercise month. Two stone lighter and better weather should be a big incentive to get a bit more active.