How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

When I do my Apr/may gym slog I quickly become aware that it's very addictive and you do feel better about yourself...But in a lot of ways that is the 'old brain' firing up (effort/hunt/fight/food). In some ways the gym is like a modern cave where one prepares one's inner man (oft neglected) as a stark contrast to the 'controlled domesticity' a lot of us find ourselves in nowadays. The endless chit chat at bars/dinner tables about Martin Amis and his problems with his teeth.

When I do my Apr/may gym slog I quickly become aware that it's very addictive and you do feel better about yourself...But in a lot of ways that is the 'old brain' firing up (effort/hunt/fight/food). In some ways the gym is like a modern cave where one prepares one's inner man (oft neglected) as a stark contrast to the 'controlled domesticity' a lot of us find ourselves in nowadays. The endless chit chat at bars/dinner tables about Martin Amis and his problems with his teeth.

we're not designed to sit for eight to 10 hours a day hunched over in front of a computer. being active throughout the day would cut the need for gyms. they're designed for pen-pushing office monkeys, like me.

we're not designed to sit for eight to 10 hours a day hunched over in front of a computer. being active throughout the day would cut the need for gyms. they're designed for pen-pushing office monkeys, like me.

I don't know about all that man...A quick puff of the asthma spray makes the nicotine go in faster... ;)

Research shows it stops your hair falling out as well. :lol: In a few years I'll start spraying it on me scalp.

Edited by Park Life

Anyway....We were actuall designed for 10-20 min high intensity action (life or death/food) and sleeping/sit around the rest of the time. We definitely weren't designed to spend 4hrs in the gym.

Quite honestly I've found the best exercise to be long brisk walks.[/WillSelf]

Edited by Park Life

About to go for a run after 5 weeks off through circumstances. Its a pity the missing 5 weeks weren't in February. When the shit weather comes in I've a treadmill in the garage, can't abide gyms and the money a lot charge? :lol: fuck that!

...plus it's satisfying to lose the love handles and beer gut. in my 20s i could eat and drink whatever the fuck i wanted and never put on fat. now i have to exercise like a beast just to stay the same. slowing metabolism is a bitch.

I disagree. I gymed it for 3 years and my weight never changed. I modified my diet and within 6 months Id dropped 22lbs

I disagree. I gymed it for 3 years and my weight never changed. I modified my diet and within 6 months Id dropped 22lbs

Its a combination but Diet has a bigger effect on weight loss. Here is an easy way to think about it.

1hr weights session you might expend say 350 cals (although the body continues to use calories to repair to you have a longer lasting benefit)

1hr cardio session you might use 500 cals.

So at best, and unrealistic for most, you might say if you exercise twice a day you might aim for 1000 cals used extra a day.

However, cut out a bar of chocolate, bag of crisps and pie you have each day and thats the same calorific result.

It is easier to drop calories per day through good nutrition choices than it is through exercise.

The real trick? Do both ;) If you want to lose weight and you are eating 3000 cals per day of shite, then eat 2000 cals per day of good food AND 500 cals every other day in the gym and watch the weight drop off.

Bottom line, to lose weight you need to be in a negative calorific balance. However you dress it up with fad fancy diets and workouts, thats is the bottom line.

For you, if your weight never changed being in the gym then you were simply eating a value of calories that equaled the calories you used.

It's all about a mix of diet & exercise for me. I exercise a lot, but that's because on a weekend I can't trust myself not to drink a load of cider and have a 5 course Indians if I fancy one, and this way I don't feel bad about it. During the week I eat a well balanced diet. It's a bit rigid at times, but I need a routine or I fall to pieces.

Dug out these the other day. May 2010:

BRTv8w0CMAII-LQ.jpg

July 2013:

BRTwUR-CYAAsJZE.jpg

Excuse the retarded posing.

Anyway, everyone always assume I see exercise as more important because I'm constantly at the gym or running etc, but dietary changes were the main thing for me. I was eating random takeaways during the week because I couldn't be bothered to cook, now in the time I would've waited I can easily knock up a healthy meal with meat, potato and veg.

Working in an office is a nightmare though. There are always cakes and biscuits on the go. These days when cakes are going around the office, I think I could have a slice of cake.. but I'm not hungry and I'd probably have to run for 20-30 minutes at least to burn off the calories. Therefore I find it easier just not to eat the cake. Not that there's much left over by the time the gannets have descended anyway, but that's beside the point..

Probably because you put on muscle. Your body composition would have improved if you were training hard, even if your diet wasn't great.

Though i agree diet is as important, possibly even more important than training, depending what your goals are. Getting a six pack for example, they say, is made more in the kitchen than the gym.

For the best results and health benefits a combination of exercise and sensible nutrition is best.

Edited by Dr Gloom

It's all about a mix of diet & exercise for me. I exercise a lot, but that's because on a weekend I can't trust myself not to drink a load of cider and have a 5 course Indians if I fancy one, and this way I don't feel bad about it. During the week I eat a well balanced diet. It's a bit rigid at times, but I need a routine or I fall to pieces.

Dug out these the other day. May 2010:

Posted Image

July 2013:

Posted Image

Excuse the retarded posing.

Anyway, everyone always assume I see exercise as more important because I'm constantly at the gym or running etc, but dietary changes were the main thing for me. I was eating random takeaways during the week because I couldn't be bothered to cook, now in the time I would've waited I can easily knock up a healthy meal with meat, potato and veg.

Working in an office is a nightmare though. There are always cakes and biscuits on the go. These days when cakes are going around the office, I think I could have a slice of cake.. but I'm not hungry and I'd probably have to run for 20-30 minutes at least to burn off the calories. Therefore I find it easier just not to eat the cake. Not that there's much left over by the time the gannets have descended anyway, but that's beside the point..

Awesome results there Jill - good stuff.

I'm the same. Try to train hard and eat sensible during the week and rest, drink and eat whatever I fancy at the weekend.

In reply to JawD, I never bothered counting calories when trying to lose fat. The thing that worked for me was just eating sensible foods until full. You can never really eat too much fresh veg. And if i was still hungry after a meal, id never stop eating because of concerns over my calorie allowance for the day. I'd just go for a second course of veggies.

Fill up on shitloads of broccoli tossed in olive oil, chilli and garlic for instance, alongside a lean protein source and you're laughing. Tasty and nutritious.

@Gloom Aye, I counted calories for a few days so I knew what I was eating. I dont now, but its still in my mind what I have to eat each day to reach my goal. Its like at the end of the day if I feel I havent ate enough fat Ill chuck down some boiled eggs or peanut butter. But when I was cutting I done a similar thing. Most meals were simply chicken breast or a steak then veggies (as green as possible) usually with garlic and oils and sometimes jalapenos. Basically cutting out starchy carbs and milk worked for me while cutting.

i find getting my calories in on training nights an utter bollocks, can't eat before it, too late in the day to eat anything substancial after it, this week a prime example.. burnt 700 calories at training got home at 10pm and i'd only eaten 600 throughout the day.

600 in an entire day???? that's one small meal, not a day's worth of food!

try protein shakes. easier to drink calories than eat them if you're too busy for a sit down meal.

still, 600 in an entire day while training too??? i'd pass out long before 10pm.

600!! bloody hell Im on around 3500 a day, as you say Id pass out way before then! Just done a quick calc, my 10am snack yesterday was 706 cals :lol:

That was small bowl of oats with milk, a banana, 25g almonds, 2 boiled eggs.

The idea that exercise or staying healthy needs to be seen as an obstacle to enjoying life is weird.

I was looking at it the other way.

The idea that exercise or staying healthy needs to be seen as an pre-requisite to enjoying life is weird.

People born with congenital health problems can obviously (and I tend to find they more often do) have far richer lives than people who live a perfectly healthy life and fret about that extra stone they need to shift.

As Cloud Cult tell us, in their song Complicated Creation...

If you rid of all your baggage you will likely float away.

But you can't know beauty if you don't know pain

Gotta feel it, feel it all.

There's your medication

:D