Newcastle United v Chelsea.

Park Life

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1-1 I'll take that.

They would have torn us a new one I reckon with Lampard and Essien available. Ramires and Mikel two of their weakest least involved players.

Guthrie's second didn't match his first, but I think it shows that Barton would be handy if played in the middle. For all his shortcomings having Routledge out there can be handy. He has the pace to look much more troubling than he really is, which will play on defenders. He seemed to be enthusiastically tracking back as well, treat em mean keep em keen.

I don't know wtf Carroll was playing at there at the end, time and time again we needed him in the box and he was back with Tiote. Not impressed. That's the kind of "Superman" play we can do without.

Ranger looked good, Jonas desperately needed to pass more to him at the end, Enrique excellent throughout and MOTM.

With Barton to deliver the set pieces we might've taken all 3 here, but that was a good performance and well worthy of a point even if we rode our luck a bit.

Jonas' decision making is gash at times.

I'd have taken a point before the game, happily. Having seen that though, I think had Ranger come on sooner, we could have gone for all 3.

Weird seeing us refuse to play the ball forward at one stage as Carroll wasn't up front yet.

Didn't really see the point in the ref waiting for us to set up that very last freekick only to blow the whistle as soon as he kicks it. Especially as it went straight to Dutty in the box, but oh well!

As much as it was a horrible stuff up between Alex and Cech, Carroll still earned his goal. Had to be putting the effort in there where plenty of others wouldn't have been bothered.

Didn't really see the point in the ref waiting for us to set up that very last freekick only to blow the whistle as soon as he kicks it. Especially as it went straight to Dutty in the box, but oh well!

Agreed, I was under the impression that if the ball is in a dangerous position theyll let it play on a bit until it leaves the area. But oh well.

I can only guess that Hughton was telling Carroll to stay back a little to help out in defense, everytime they got the ball off us no matter from how deep they made it look like they were on the counter. Seemed to me we had some tired legs towards the end, unfortunately Tiote was one of those who faded along with Guthrie.

Good to see them battle for the point there because we were under the cosh most of the second half.

Very good effort from the two CB's considering they've barely played a game between them and were up against a quality attack. Thought Routledge was better than he has been this season, much more lively, but Guthrie was woeful, needed far too much time throughout.

And Jonas was in full headless chicken mode, for all the possession they had, we had some great chances on the break but he ran into his man time and time again, and Shola was off the pace.

But all round a good battling effort and they can take confidence from it.

A very good point considering we had a secret operative for Chelsea (Guthrie) in central midfield. Had Barton been playing in his place I would have fancied us to win that.

I was just thinking how far off a PL player Guthrie looks.

His passing and vision in the first half were good I thought. Well off the pace in the second and his free-kicks were definitely more miss than hit the whole match. Not to worry though as Barton is back in the next match. I'd like to see Barton in the middle to increase his involvement.

A very good point considering we had a secret operative for Chelsea (Guthrie) in central midfield. Had Barton been playing in his place I would have fancied us to win that.

You just reminded me, during the game I was thinking how disgraceful it is that a player of Guthrie's ability is rewarded so handsomely that he can buy a fleet of Mercedes and Range Rovers and Lamborghinis. He was struggling to beat the first man today on our corners. Still, a great result and an encouraging performance with many key players absent.

You just reminded me, during the game I was thinking how disgraceful it is that a player of Guthrie's ability is rewarded so handsomely that he can buy a fleet of Mercedes and Range Rovers and Lamborghinis. He was struggling to beat the first man today on our corners. Still, a great result and an encouraging performance with many key players absent.

The Guthrie slagging in here isn't really warranted in my opinion. He's on a quarter of what Smith is, gets played out of position more often than not, had a decent first half and yet cops a slagging like he's shagged your Mrs. Never a world beater, but a decent schemer who like anyone in that position would benefit greatly from consistent playing time in that position. He won't get it though because Barton's a better player, and Hughton will use Nolan there just because he feels he can chip in with goals.

The Guthrie slagging in here isn't really warranted in my opinion. He's on a quarter of what Smith is, gets played out of position more often than not, had a decent first half and yet cops a slagging like he's shagged your Mrs. Never a world beater, but a decent schemer who like anyone in that position would benefit greatly from consistent playing time in that position. He won't get it though because Barton's a better player, and Hughton will use Nolan there just because he feels he can chip in with goals.

Feels? He does so warrants his picking

I agree with your assessment of Guthrie as a decent schemer, unfortunately the aim of these schemes appears to be to aid the opposing team in every way available to him. I have no idea how or when Niall Quinn slipped his bungs to Guthrie (probably during his latest injury lay-off), but every time he appears he has a corrosive effect on our play.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Mackems just got the 4 threads about our match today, they're slipping! Two for the match and two crying because the commentators love us too much ;)

Oh and an Andy Carroll thread as well!

up to around 7 now the sad cunts :lol:

including one trying to establish a mackem connection to carroll the sad cunts

Edited by Barton7

Barton in for Guthrie and any half decent striker with a bit of pace on the pitch and we would have walked that game. We had so many half chances that stroller was oblivious to or that spilled to the edge of the box when Guthrie was sucking his thumb in the centre circle!

Feels? He does so warrants his picking

More meant feels that his goals warrant him being out there despite his otherwise poor contribution.

I'd have Tiote and Barton out there in the middle. Nolan if played would be used behind Carroll.

Wow, can't quite believe all the threads on us on the Sunderland board. Having a go because the stadium wasn't full, christ...! :lol: Of course I'm sure the major snowfall didn't provide anyone with any problems...

When they were dominating possession in the second half it was because Routledge, Jonas and Guthrie are all fucking fairy cakes. Tbf to Guthrie he did get stuck in a bit in the second half but he is poor at collecting under pressure and is easily muscled off the ball. The two wide lads need to start contesting a few 50-50 balls too, the amount of times they dont commit for fear of getting hurt is shocking really. For me, this is why we were unable to get a foothold in the match in the second half. Its a shame really as Chelsea's luck was awful and we could have stolen the 3 points with a bit more strength in midfield.

Guthries has not had many games this season but he needs to get sharper and stronger, jury still out on him for me as PL player but signs not great today. Jonas needs to stop being so gay and Routledge needs to gain some confidence, as he had some very good moments. Just not consistent over the 90 mins.

Back four did quite well considering.