Piers meets Elton John

Christmas Tree

How can anyone not love abba or the bee gees or Elo or hairspray etc

Youngs of today brought up on plastic factor.

Also used to be into Heavy metal when I was about 12. Didn't like the sore heads off headbanging though.

Was nee lover of the Bee Gees or ELO, but you're spot on about the X Factor generation. I could listen to stuff like Mott The Hoople all day long, and 90% of the stuff in the 80's when most people actually came up the novel concept of writing their own stuff.

There was loads of dreadful stuff in the 80s as well like. I do miss novelty singles that you used to get on TOTP which you rarely seem to get these days. It's all so sanitised now, seemingly.

Aye but there'd be songs not even in the top 10 which were mint. Aye though there was a good amount of stuff like Russ Abott, and Donald Where's Ya Troosers which got high in the charts. Remember that song Jack Your Body, they were the only words and it got to number 1 IIRC. When we were kids we'd play in the street every day and night, but 730 on a Thursday everyone went in for TOTPs. Not like that noo.

I think Jack Your Body (Steve 'Silk' Hurley) was the first UK house record to chart.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also used to be into Heavy metal when I was about 12. Didn't like the sore heads off headbanging though.

Was nee lover of the Bee Gees or ELO, but you're spot on about the X Factor generation. I could listen to stuff like Mott The Hoople all day long, and 90% of the stuff in the 80's when most people actually came up the novel concept of writing their own stuff.

There was loads of dreadful stuff in the 80s as well like. I do miss novelty singles that you used to get on TOTP which you rarely seem to get these days. It's all so sanitised now, seemingly.

Like Grandad.....floral dance......angelo

Shaddap you face.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

Aye but there'd be songs not even in the top 10 which were mint. Aye though there was a good amount of stuff like Russ Abott, and Donald Where's Ya Troosers which got high in the charts. Remember that song Jack Your Body, they were the only words and it got to number 1 IIRC. When we were kids we'd play in the street every day and night, but 730 on a Thursday everyone went in for TOTPs. Not like that noo.

I think Jack Your Body (Steve 'Silk' Hurley) was the first UK house record to chart.

They asked him to go on TOTP but he was too shy to go on.

I've seen a few documentaries about that era and quite a few of the people who did some of the genre-defining tunes were just young kids who'd made them in their bedroom and hadn't even been to the clubs in Chicago / Detroit where they were getting played.

Deek the Juice, Lindisfarne and Jimmy Nail are basically all I listen to out of choice. Half the shite on the wireless is cool kids singing about their mam didn't make their bed etc. Although I am partial to a bit of Scaffold - Lily the Pink for some reason.

Elton fucking John, give owa', man. I am jealous of his crop though.

Deek the Juice, Lindisfarne and Jimmy Nail are basically all I listen to out of choice. Half the shite on the wireless is cool kids singing about their mam didn't make their bed etc. Although I am partial to a bit of Scaffold - Lily the Pink for some reason.

:icon_lol:

Ye takin the piss? :icon_lol:

Young can tell by the way I use my walk a womans man no time to talk.

Fucking magnificent lyrics.

That you've got wrong. :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

fwiw I think people new chart music with new music. The charts have little bearing on the original stuff coming out, they're just kept off the airwaves by the conveyor belt of X-factor spastics. This new one, Matt Cardel is, by all accounts, a blander male version of last years winner, who was blander than the year before, etc. etc.

I'm sure someone will be on saying "well they must be good because loads of people buy their records", well they're not. They're ear-rape. Not even that, at least that would have some gusto, they're ear-feel-her-up-when-she's-asleep.

And he's covering Biffy's Many of Horror? And changing it's name?

ffs :icon_lol:

Ye takin the piss? :icon_lol:

Aye, mate. Although I do like Big River.

If I'm being honest I'm down with old hip hop and stuff. Luniz, Warren G and the likes. This owing to the fact I was a 'proper caner' back in the day. :icon_lol:

Young can tell by the way I use my walk a womans man no time to talk.

Fucking magnificent lyrics.

That you've got wrong. :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

fwiw I think people new chart music with new music. The charts have little bearing on the original stuff coming out, they're just kept off the airwaves by the conveyor belt of X-factor spastics. This new one, Matt Cardel is, by all accounts, a blander male version of last years winner, who was blander than the year before, etc. etc.

I'm sure someone will be on saying "well they must be good because loads of people buy their records", well they're not. They're ear-rape. Not even that, at least that would have some gusto, they're ear-feel-her-up-when-she's-asleep.

And he's covering Biffy's Many of Horror? And changing it's name?

ffs :icon_lol:

Are you pissed btw?

I've seen a few documentaries about that era and quite a few of the people who did some of the genre-defining tunes were just young kids who'd made them in their bedroom and hadn't even been to the clubs in Chicago / Detroit where they were getting played.

I once spent days in my bedroom making up a techno? version of wham rap using a double casette recorder. Thought it sounded brilliant but it was shit.

The Bee Gees folk stuff is canny good. The Yellow album is quality.

Although I doubt this is what CT is referring to.

He'll be on about Stayin Alive and all that bollocks.

The Bee Gees folk stuff is canny good. The Yellow album is quality.

Although I doubt this is what CT is referring to.

He'll be on about Stayin Alive and all that bollocks.

It was a clue when he quoted lyrics from Stayin' Alive :icon_lol:

in summary. Elton johns sold millions of tunes. most of them pretty awful. but one or 2 really quite good ones.

Piers morgan is a cock end.

Surprised he didn't worm his way in, in the hayday of New Labour. :icon_lol:

in summary. Elton johns sold millions of tunes. most of them pretty awful. but one or 2 really quite good ones.

You're like Trevor McDonald you with your summaries at the end. I think he had maybe 6 really good ones.

You're like Trevor McDonald you with your summaries at the end. I think he had maybe 6 really good ones.

Your Song

Crocodile Rock

Daniel

Saturday Night's Alright (for Fighting)

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Candle In The Wind

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me

Don't Go Breaking My Heart

Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word

Blue Eyes

I'm Still Standing

I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues