Shane Ferguson tearing apart international opposition

Christmas Tree

It's good for cricket and rugby but I like them both having one for football, it's always been that way and just feels right. It is however problematic the way loads of Northern Irish support the Irish team (do any idiots support England or Scotland just to prove how Unionist they are?) Anyway it's good that Ferguson has decided to play for the right team, but he probably wouldn't get into the Republics side anyway (cue a gunshot noise being heard around CT's home)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CabayeAye

Glad he's playing for NI.

Can't say I agree with Ireland poaching British players, so it good to see him stay loyal to his country.

Moron *shakes head*, can't be arsed going over this again on here, but the ignorance of people commenting on things they have no clue about whatsoever is staggering at times.

Be good if it was like the rugby, might aid with the development of players etc, but it'd never work for football sadly, much too sectarian up here at league and international level still.

As someone mentioned he probably stayed knowing he'd not get a game for Republic any time soon, Trapp likes staying loyal to the players who get a team somewhere, always has done especially at international level.

Ant, you can bore off with your republican bullshit before you start.

I actually like the rugby team being united due to the inclusion of Ulster etc. but the way the FAI go about the football team is wrong.

Again, I'd be pro a united Ireland football team, but as things stand, anyone who is proud to be NI gets fucked over.

And that Africa stuff was a piss take, I've already explained that in another thread for thosecof you who don't get satire.

Can't say I agree with Ireland poaching British players, so it good to see him stay loyal to his country.

Moron *shakes head*, can't be arsed going over this again on here, but the ignorance of people commenting on things they have no clue about whatsoever is staggering at times.

Be good if it was like the rugby, might aid with the development of players etc, but it'd never work for football sadly, much too sectarian up here at league and international level still.

As someone mentioned he probably stayed knowing he'd not get a game for Republic any time soon, Trapp likes staying loyal to the players who get a team somewhere, always has done especially at international level.

I actually like the rugby team being united due to the inclusion of Ulster etc. but the way the FAI go about the football team is wrong.

Again, I'd be pro a united Ireland football team, but as things stand, anyone who is proud to be NI gets fucked over.

And that Africa stuff was a piss take, I've already explained that in another thread for thosecof you who don't get satire.

How are they getting fucked over?

They aren't Northern Irish, they consider themselves Irish, and legally, due to agreements that extend well beyond football, they can do that. Tough shit Northern Ireland.

Edited by citizenerased

How are they getting fucked over?

They aren't Northern Irish, they consider themselves Irish, and legally, due to agreements that extend well beyond football, they can do that. Tough shit Northern Ireland.

We could solve this quite easily by giving people from NI a straight choice between playing for Scotland or Eire. Then the NI team could be abolished, which will save lot of pointless fixtures.

Ant, you can bore off with your republican bullshit before you start. I actually like the rugby team being united due to the inclusion of Ulster etc. but the way the FAI go about the football team is wrong. Again, I'd be pro a united Ireland football team, but as things stand, anyone who is proud to be NI gets fucked over. And that Africa stuff was a piss take, I've already explained that in another thread for thosecof you who don't get satire.

Aye your comments showed you to be a genuine candidate to write for Private eye. Idiot

SHANE Ferguson is hoping to rebuild bridges with Northern Ireland to revive his international career.

Nearly three years after his international debut, the Newcastle United left-sider was named in Michael O’Neill’s first squad as manager.

The 20-year-old will report for training in the build-up to next week’s friendly in Norway hoping to repair a relationship which had badly broken down under O’Neill’s predecessor Nigel Worthington.

Prolonged exposure to international football will help Ferguson’s chances of breaking into Newcastle’s first team.

He made a number of promising appearances late last season but has failed to kick on as he might have hoped.

Held back by injury, he has made just one start this term, in September’s League Cup win at Nottingham Forest. He has also come off the bench three times.

Ferguson injured his ankle at a pre-season game in Darlington, causing Ryan Taylor to be given the first opportunity to replace departed left-back Jose Enrique at the start of the season.

The Merseysider responded brilliantly, holding off Ferguson, and Enrique’s intended replacement Davide Santon until December. By then Ferguson had picked up a niggling thigh injury playing for Northern Ireland Under-21s.

Ferguson made a promising substitute appearance at White Hart Lane in Newcastle’s last game.

Although the Magpies were hammered 5-0 by Tottenham Hotspur, they looked considerably more solid once the Irishman was introduced at half-time to play on the left-hand side of midfield as Newcastle inevitably resorted to damage limitation.

When Ferguson failed to return his calls, Worthington assumed it was because the Derry-born player had decided to play instead for the Republic of Ireland.

Under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement, players born in Ireland can decide to represent either country.

It is an arrangement which led to Sunderland winger James McClean – also born in Derry – being called up by the Republic yesterday.

Numerous other Northern Ireland-born players have also invoked it to play for the more successful Republic.

Ferguson, though, is prepared to throw his weight behind the country of his birth now Worthington has been replaced by former Newcastle striker O’Neill after a disappointing qualifying campaign for this year’s European Championships.

Under Fifa rules, players are only tied to a country once they have represented them in a competitive game.

Ferguson’s only previous cap, earned against Italy, came in a friendly.

Wednesday’s game is also a friendly, so the option of switching allegiances will not die if he plays.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/02/21/shane-ferguson-keen-to-revive-international-career-61634-30371611/#ixzz1n0d35ixB

Guest CabayeAye
Ant, you can bore off with your republican bullshit before you start. I actually like the rugby team being united due to the inclusion of Ulster etc. but the way the FAI go about the football team is wrong. Again, I'd be pro a united Ireland football team, but as things stand, anyone who is proud to be NI gets fucked over. And that Africa stuff was a piss take, I've already explained that in another thread for thosecof you who don't get satire.

Aye your comments showed you to be a genuine candidate to write for Private eye. Idiot

Where did you come from? I wasn't talking to you, bellend.

Guest CabayeAye

Ant mate, was shitfaced when I wrote that, so sorry if it came across a bit personal.

Bit of a heavy night last night! :)

Where did you come from? I wasn't talking to you, bellend.

Newcastle, you?

Shane Ferguson's keen to fight for NUFC place

SHANE FERGUSON is prepared to trade any potential loan move from Newcastle United in order to play his part in the Magpies’ battle for a European place next season.

Ferguson has been targeted by a host of Football League clubs in the past few months, but would rather take his chance with the black and whites.

The Northern Ireland international made his first Premier League appearance of the year in United’s 5-0 loss at Spurs, but at least helped to calm the storm after arriving as a second-half sub with his team-mates 4-0 down at White Hart Lane.

Ferguson is in the frame for Saturday’s home clash against Wolves and has been pushing Davide Santon in training during the build-up to the game.

The Derry lad is keen to play a part in Newcastle’s Premier League season having so far endured an injury-strewn season, which has meant he has so far been unable to build on his promising emergence last term under both Chris Hughton and Alan Pardew.

Ferguson – who was wanted by West Ham United – told the Chronicle: “Yes there was talk of a loan.

“It depends how it goes with injuries, but in the meantime I am staying at Newcastle. And keep working hard in training.

“I just want to get a couple of opportunities.

“I just want to show everybody what I can do and push my way into the team. Hopefully I can.”

But Ferguson accepts that chances have been limited with Newcastle flying high in the top flight this term.

He said: “The lads have been fantastic all season.

“We just have to continue and bounce back against Wolves.”

Newcastle fans will gather at St James’ Park again on Saturday as they bid to record their fourth league win of the year on Tyneside.

And Ferguson said: “It wasn’t our night at Spurs but it is now about how well we bounce back.

“We’re back at home and it’s one we’ll be looking to win.”

United will also be boosted by the return of Yohan Cabaye – back from suspension – and Cheick Tiote, who is free from international duty with the Ivory Coast after playing in the African Cup of Nations final.

Ferguson said: “We have Yohan and Tiote back so we have a great chance.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/02/23/shane-ferguson-s-keen-to-fight-for-nufc-place-72703-30388699/#ixzz1nDPaQu00

knocked a stray ball back to him at work on the way back from football at lunch today, nireland crowd training up where i play/work

sorry ct jealous i'm sure

did it knock him over?

• 4 weeks later...

He Lives :banana:

Pardew: Ferguson ready to play his role in the run-in

ALAN PARDEW says Shane Ferguson is finally back in contention for Newcastle United after a series of niggling injuries – just in time for the Magpies’ Europa League push.

The Toon youngster has shaken off a groin problem sustained while on international duty for Northern Ireland during the 3-0 loss to Norway – a night in which Fergie’s performance was the highlight of the evening for new boss Michael O’Neill.

Ferguson will be in the squad for Sunday’s game at West Bromwich Albion and is likely to be handed a slot on the bench.

He has endured a frustrating season, which started in nightmare fashion at Darlington in pre-season when he shattered his ankle.

Ferguson battled back from his summer setback to star in the Carling Cup game at Nottingham Forest before being struck by niggling muscle injuries which have restricted his season to just a handful of sub appearances.

Now with Pardew admitting that Davide Santon has suffered some mixed form, the Derry lad is back to challenge the first-team stage.

Pardew told the Chronicle today: “Shane Ferguson has a good chance for the weekend.

“He has been out for two or three weeks.

“And he’s not played much for us this season. But he had a great game for Northern Ireland against Norway and he’ll be feeling a lot, lot stronger for it.”

Ferguson returned from international duty at the end of last month with another muscle problem ruling him out of the March programme so far.

However, the full-back is ready to challenge Santon on the left-hand side and try to salvage something out of season.

Chronny.

if he gets on ahead of santon it's moronic

after seeing that kid in the flesh the other week there is no way he can be a defender or fullback, a strong wind would knock him over, makes the da silva twins look like tiote.

Pardew needs a slap if that's the way he's going to play it, beyond stupidity.

:lol: Ferguson over Santon? no chance, like above Pardew wants his head checked if he considers that. I'm not totally against Ferguson getting a run out (still don't think he's ready) but not over players like Santon.

Ferguson over Santon? no chance, like above Pardew wants his head checked if he considers that. I'm not totally against Ferguson getting a run out (still don't think he's ready) but not over players like Santon.

He's only being talked about by the journos and Pardew because Raylor is out and Simpson is injured / doubtful.

The talk is Santon goes to RB and Fergie covers LB.

That article is trying to imply he's replacing Santon, which is what I'm attacking. Don't mind him playing if it's under circumstances like you said in this last post, still rather Jonas at left back and Santon right back.

• 3 weeks later...

Well done to the lad.

Always adds that extra bite to the left wing.

The best compliment I can give him is that there is an audible air of excitement within the ground when he gets the ball. Maybe not to the extent of one Ben Arfa, but the crowd knows that he is going to attack.

Great player to have on the bench.

He looks very industrious, much like Jonas does when out on the wing. Yet you have a go at Jonas constantly, I don't really get it...