Your three favourite albums of all time

Tooj

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was trying to think of my 3 favourite American Blues albums, but at the time a lot of those artists recorded LPs hadn't come into fashion so I mostly listen to best-of collections.

Can't go wrong with the Muddy Waters Chess Box CD 1947-1972, and that's 3 cds so there you go. Throw in a best-of Howling Wolf for good measure. Albert King also did some records with Stax with Steve Cropper on rhythm guitar, some cracking material.

Started doing classic blues playlists recently. Lightnin Hopkins (Mojo Hand), John Lee Hooker (Boogie Chillin), Sonny Boy Williamson (Bring it on home) etc. Mainly off compilations. Live 69 is my favourite Albert King album but thats not really an album in the traditional sense either.

Am a big fan of the trumpet ( :wank: ) Miles Davis is probably my favourite. I played my daughter Flamenco Sketches off Kind of Blue and it appeared to make her cry. Happened a further 2 times, have no idea if it was the trumpet or not. Weird scenes but a top album.

2571.jpg

I've been going back and listening to Son House recently on Spotify and The Mississippi Sheiks because I read they played in Muddy Water's town during his formative years and he was a big fan. Have you heard much of Freddie King? He has some great material, his version of 'Going Down' would be worthy of a place on your playlist easy.

slint_spiderland.jpg

rhp-rollercoaster.jpg

album-scott-3.jpg

Fuckin hell, forgot about spiderland by Slint. A fucking awesome album!

Spiderland is a ridiculously good. i have to stop myself listening to it most days to give other bands a chance.

I haven't heard any of their other stuff, is it any good? Is it as good as Spiderland?

Was trying to think of my 3 favourite American Blues albums, but at the time a lot of those artists recorded LPs hadn't come into fashion so I mostly listen to best-of collections.

Can't go wrong with the Muddy Waters Chess Box CD 1947-1972, and that's 3 cds so there you go. Throw in a best-of Howling Wolf for good measure. Albert King also did some records with Stax with Steve Cropper on rhythm guitar, some cracking material.

Started doing classic blues playlists recently. Lightnin Hopkins (Mojo Hand), John Lee Hooker (Boogie Chillin), Sonny Boy Williamson (Bring it on home) etc. Mainly off compilations. Live 69 is my favourite Albert King album but thats not really an album in the traditional sense either.

Am a big fan of the trumpet ( :wank: ) Miles Davis is probably my favourite. I played my daughter Flamenco Sketches off Kind of Blue and it appeared to make her cry. Happened a further 2 times, have no idea if it was the trumpet or not. Weird scenes but a top album.

2571.jpg

I've been going back and listening to Son House recently on Spotify and The Mississippi Sheiks because I read they played in Muddy Water's town during his formative years and he was a big fan. Have you heard much of Freddie King? He has some great material, his version of 'Going Down' would be worthy of a place on your playlist easy.

You chaps might like these

Son House

Buddy Guy

Got a Bill Broonzy dvd from the guitar workshop, good stuff. Hard to recreate the playing style when you're a honky though and haven't got big-ass hands from working in a cotton field :wank:

* you just reminded me with those vids, Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan in session, in terms of blues guitar chops, doesn't get much better than that album. The whole session is on youtube as well.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Got a Bill Broonzy dvd from the guitar workshop, good stuff. Hard to recreate the playing style when you're a honky though and haven't got big-ass hands from working in a cotton field :wank:

* you just reminded me with those vids, Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan in session, in terms of blues guitar chops, doesn't get much better than that album. The whole session is on youtube as well.

And I was about to go to bed.

Damn you!!

A rolling three for anyone shirley? I'll hoy these up now though;

Big%20Country%20the%20Crossing.jpg

the%20goats%20tricks%20of%20the%20shade.jpg

top11live_talkingheads.jpg

this completely ignores my long running affair with psychedelic elecronica.

Edited by trophyshy

U2 - Boy

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

Manics - The Holy Bible

Bubbling under......

U2 - Achtung Baby

Placebo - Without You I'm Nothing

Pixies - Doolittle

Big Country - The Crossing

Belly - Star

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

Be Bop Deluxe - Sunburst Finish

slint_spiderland.jpg

rhp-rollercoaster.jpg

album-scott-3.jpg

Fuckin hell, forgot about spiderland by Slint. A fucking awesome album!

Spiderland is a ridiculously good. i have to stop myself listening to it most days to give other bands a chance.

I haven't heard any of their other stuff, is it any good? Is it as good as Spiderland?

Red House Painters I is the saddest, most morose piece of guitar rock ever recorded, makes Buckley look like Abba. Pretty similar feel to Spiderland.

Scott 3 is what would of happened if Frank Sinatra had a European sensibility and wrote fantastic lyrics.

Frigging hell, even harder than the films. But anyway:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Dark-Side-sleeve-610x610.jpg

Roger Waters - Pro's & Con's of Hitch Hiking

proscons_nude.jpg

Metallica - Black Album

Metallica_-_Black_Album.jpg

Hard task narrowing it down to 3 but,

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

Tori Amos - Boys for Pele

R.E.M. - Murmur

Honourable mentions to Pixies Doolittle, Throwing Muses Real Ramona and many many more....

Hard task narrowing it down to 3 but,

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

Tori Amos - Boys for Pele

R.E.M. - Murmur

Honourable mentions to Pixies Doolittle, Throwing Muses Real Ramona and many many more....

Top album that like :wank: