Tranquillo Barnetta

Christmas Tree

Newcastle United have made an enquiry for Swiss star Tranquillo Barnetta, skysports.com understands.

The 25-year-old has been linked to the Premier League on a number of occasions in the past few years, and now Newcastle are looking closely at his situation.

Barnetta, who has played over 50 times for his country, can play on either flank or behind a striker.

Toon boss Alan Pardew is looking to add width to his squad, having sanctioned Wayne Routledge's return to Queens Park Rangers.

Now Pardew is scouring Europe for options and one of his targets has emerged as Barnetta, who was also linked with Italian giants Juventuslast month and has 18 months left on his current deal at the BayArena.

I hate it when they say that. Surely they could be a little more specific without blowing their under cover agent.

He's been class for Switzerland when I've seen him. Left winger, I think.

I view "SkySports understands" as marginally more reputable than NotW, but not by much.

I suggest we make a bid for Climax Laurence, the Indian football star

Barnetta has had several serious injuries in his career IIRC, looked promising a few years ago though

Can't remember him having that many injuries. Not a bad player who can play on both flanks but he will be out for several weeks with knee ligament damages.

Not much in that one. Swiss Papers simply stating that there has been an enquiry regarding Barnetta's contract situation (at Leverkusen until 2012), while there's no intent to buy him in January because of his injury.

Pardew has been in talks with him when he was West Ham boss IIRC.

• 4 months later...
He's been class for Switzerland when I've seen him. Left winger, I think.

I view "SkySports understands" as marginally more reputable than NotW, but not by much.

I suggest we make a bid for Climax Laurence, the Indian football star

I always wanted Danny Invincibile to turn out to be a decent player, purely for his name.

Shame he's shite.

Switzerland brought on a guy called Innocent for Tranquillo against England, we should get him and any other comically named players as well.

Add Shittu and we could be on to a winner!!