Deadline Day

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what our record has been like for deadline day deals over the years but I am already excited for tomorrow. Even though the nay-sayers will be around to temper the optimists, I bet theres still plenty of activity on Toontastic tomorrow afternoon and evening.

I'll be keeping my social diary free (apart from weight watchers), getting a few sherrys in and sitting back for what should be a real good old forum night. Regardless what NUFC do, the sheer amount of posters who will be online will make for an enjoyable night.

Expecting lots of good topics and a few old arguments kicking off. Would be nice if someone could take charge of the Belta Minge thread to keep the visual side of things interesting and a few more Stokoes are needed. Anyone who hasnt done one yet should download the free Gimp program as reccommended to me by Miami toon? or northersoultoon???. Its very good and easy to get the hang of.

Expecting at least Ireland confirmed and possibly Larsson.

Cant Wait :)

a loan player and an average premiership player that Birmingham aren't exactly falling over themselves to keep. Oh dear, fuckin boogaloo. Is this your expectation of the 3rd biggest club in the country ?

Yawn

Not sure what our record has been like for deadline day deals over the years but I am already excited for tomorrow. Even though the nay-sayers will be around to temper the optimists, I bet theres still plenty of activity on Toontastic tomorrow afternoon and evening.

I'll be keeping my social diary free (apart from weight watchers), getting a few sherrys in and sitting back for what should be a real good old forum night. Regardless what NUFC do, the sheer amount of posters who will be online will make for an enjoyable night.

Expecting lots of good topics and a few old arguments kicking off. Would be nice if someone could take charge of the Belta Minge thread to keep the visual side of things interesting and a few more Stokoes are needed. Anyone who hasnt done one yet should download the free Gimp program as reccommended to me by Miami toon? or northersoultoon???. Its very good and easy to get the hang of.

a loan player and an average premiership player that Birmingham aren't exactly falling over themselves to keep. Oh dear, fuckin boogaloo. Is this your expectation of the 3rd biggest club in the country ?

Yawn

so, do you think a top club that qualifies for europe/champions league can do it on loans, bottom basement transfers and freebies ?

If so, you should pass on your blueprint to all the successful clubs there have ever been that have invested in quality footballers when they become available at the going rate and tempted them to their clubs accordingly.

Unless of course, you think NUFC are no bigger than the likes of Bolton, Fulham etc and should not use the advantage of our potentially* huge fanbase to show we are bigger and better than this.

* potentially - because it is declining due to the lowering of expectations and standards and will only decline further under the current policy adopted by the owner.

Edited by LeazesMag

Can I ask you one question Leazes, please. If I may?

Who d'you think we should be in for given the current market, player valuations of themselves, players available?

I like Stephen Ireland from what he showed at Man City and think he could make a player here. The only place I'd look at would be a partner for Carroll. But who?

I'm sure our wealth of scouts have checked out a lot of avenues and we've tried to recruit better than we have at the moment. If we look at the marketplace, that's very difficult.

January's nee time to do business apart from deals that are too good to turn down or backup squad players generally.

I dont think we will nor do i want us to sign Ireland.

For that matter i dont think we will sign anyone.

No movement at all.

But if we were to sign anyone then id hope it was Keane on loan and Tarrabt permanently.

Yawn

so, do you think a top club that qualifies for europe/champions league can do it on loans, bottom basement transfers and freebies ?

If so, you should pass on your blueprint to all the successful clubs there have ever been that have invested in quality footballers when they become available at the going rate and tempted them to their clubs accordingly.

Unless of course, you think NUFC are no bigger than the likes of Bolton, Fulham etc and should not use the advantage of our potentially* huge fanbase to show we are bigger and better than this.

* potentially - because it is declining due to the lowering of expectations and standards and will only decline further under the current policy adopted by the owner.

Who signed Bernard (free), Siberski (nominal) and Rossi (loan)?

Not saying I like Ashley's policies but you can't be completely blinkered.

Cant Wait :razz:

Yawn

fuckin hell

:)

Who d'you think we should be in for given the current market, player valuations of themselves, players available?

I like Stephen Ireland from what he showed at Man City and think he could make a player here. The only place I'd look at would be a partner for Carroll. But who?

I'm sure our wealth of scouts have checked out a lot of avenues and we've tried to recruit better than we have at the moment. If we look at the marketplace, that's very difficult.

January's nee time to do business apart from deals that are too good to turn down or backup squad players generally.

Not sure, who is available ? I just think we should buy players who the manager thinks are top quality or have the potential to be good premiership players, irrespective of the price, within sensible budgets which goes without saying, but the point people still appear to miss is that we are the 3rd biggest club in the country and better than that if successful so why not act like it ? And I say this knowing that Manu have global appeal nobody can match, Man City and Chelsea are bankrolled outrageously but there is absolutely no reason why we should not be buying players of the quality and show the same ambitions that the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool do all the time.

Not doing this, and operating at the levels of the smaller clubs in the premiership is negating all our advantages of our fanbase and being the biggest one city one club in the country. If some people are OK with this, and say we are "fine" then that is up to them, but personally I think its a pile of bollocks and just not good enough.

Edited by LeazesMag

Not sure, who is available ? I just think we should buy players who the manager thinks are top quality or have the potential to be good premiership players, irrespective of the price, within sensible budgets which goes without saying, but the point people still appear to miss is that we are the 3rd biggest club in the country and better than that if successful so why not act like it ? And I say this knowing that Manu have global appeal nobody can match, Man City and Chelsea are bankrolled outrageously but there is absolutely no reason why we should not be buying players of the quality and show the same ambitions that the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool do all the time.

Not doing this, and operating at the levels of the smaller clubs in the premiership is negating all our advantages of our fanbase and being the biggest one city one club in the country. If some people are OK with this, and say we are "fine" then that is up to them, but personally I think its a pile of bollocks and just not good enough.

What and get ourselves in a stupendous amount of debt...AGAIN.

If im honest i think the way FMA is running our finances is the right way to go. We stay up this season without spending much then we've clicked.

A modest outlay on a few quality players in the off season and another good place finish next year THEN we can talk about spending good money on quality and us then tapping into our potential.

Right now, for all our size or our history we are just another PL club.

Steady, sensible progression over the next two years will see us in a much better position to then look into re-stamping ourselves as one of the best clubs.

Right now size means fuck all.

BBC Sport are saying Ireland is close to signing on loan to Newcastle and it will be Pardew's second signing in the January window.

They are refering to 'Hatem' as his first signing and I think it's rubbish if he gets the credit for that. 'Hatem' was already in house on loan before Pardew even arrived, he came during Hughton's reign.

If Sunderland qualify for Europe it may have a lot to do with 2 loan signings. Wellbeck and Muntari could be big players for them second half of this season. If Ireland plays and trains well then you would expect Ashley to buy him as he did with Ben Arfa.

Watched the Fulham v Spurs match, Pardew was in the stands.

(1) Was he slumming?

(2) Was he in the Smoke looking for loan deals?

(3) Was he spending time at home with friends & relatives?

(4) Was he trying to cadge somebody from Harry?

If im honest i think the way FMA is running our finances is the right way to go. We stay up this season without spending much then we've clicked.

A modest outlay on a few quality players in the off season and another good place finish next year THEN we can talk about spending good money on quality and us then tapping into our potential.

Steady, sensible progression over the next two years will see us in a much better position to then look into re-stamping ourselves as one of the best clubs.

this has been said a thousand times and not just by me. How many clubs in the premiership made an operating profit ? Fact is if you want success, you have to pay the going rate and risk going into debt for it.

Mike Ashley will not back his manager to go for this success. So what you say you hope will happen means nothing, because it won't happen. You will not qualify regularly for europe and the Champions League without going into debt or having an owner prepared to lose money.

Steady progression ? Rubbish. Nobody makes "steady progression" on a shoestring budget. Those who have went down this path have had one or two decent seasons, nowhere near what we experienced before we went "into debt" then have slunk back into mid table or below again. It only takes you so far, for a short period, that is all.

We are the 3rd biggest supported club in the country. If we are only in mid table then we should be sacking the manager because, providing he has the backing, then it is showing he isn't good enough.

When you talk about "tapping potential" I will remind you that when Mike Ashley took over this football club we had the 14th biggest turnover in football.

You are swallowing into this idealistic myth about debt mate, we had 15 years most of which was spent in europe, bringing top players to the club, we played in the Champions League and raised our profile massively throughout the whole of the football world, we broke the World Record Transfer Fee. We did all of that, from a starting point of one foot in the 3rd division. All of that, for a stadium manageable debt to pay for a complete transformation of that stadium of around 70-80m quid to pay for the stadium. I think that is pretty good going, in fact it is cheap at the price in footballing terms and most clubs anywhere would have taken it.

Watched the Fulham v Spurs match, Pardew was in the stands.

(1) Was he slumming?

(2) Was he in the Smoke looking for loan deals?

(3) Was he spending time at home with friends & relatives?

(4) Was he trying to cadge somebody from Harry?

Or he was scouting our next opponent.

Edited by Tecato

If Sunderland qualify for Europe it may have a lot to do with 2 loan signings. Wellbeck and Muntari could be big players for them second half of this season. If Ireland plays and trains well then you would expect Ashley to buy him as he did with Ben Arfa.

they have already bought quality footballers though. Ireland is a proven premiership footballer, why not buy him ? If he doesn't live up to expectations you just sell him again, and you might lose a bit of money ? Is it better to buy rubbish like Routledge and Perch and lose money on them too which is a racing certainty because they aren't good enough anyway ?

All it means is you are operating at a higher level, and you Chez should be aware of the impact of stimulating interest and generating revenue by doing that, which has been shown at the club in the past anyway ?

Yawn

fuckin hell

As expected.

Yawn

fuckin hell

As expected.

God you're dumb aren't you. Are you saying the successful clubs have all done it by bringing nothing other than free transfer players and bottom market bargains to their clubs ?

See my last 2 posts for the bigger picture and how the successful clubs do it, and how we did it when we challenged them, because it's pointless answering you.

Edited by LeazesMag

Yawn

If not, he does a damn good impression.

Spot On.

they have already bought quality footballers though. Ireland is a proven premiership footballer, why not buy him ? If he doesn't live up to expectations you just sell him again, and you might lose a bit of money ? Is it better to buy rubbish like Routledge and Perch and lose money on them too which is a racing certainty because they aren't good enough anyway ?

All it means is you are operating at a higher level, and you Chez should be aware of the impact of stimulating interest and generating revenue by doing that, which has been shown at the club in the past anyway ?

Its a good point Leazes but Ireland's mental state and form are under question so its better to try him out first. If he does come then maybe we have a right to buy clause too which manages the risk side of things. Not sure buying Ireland outright would be that much of a statement. The ability to get Villa to continue paying some of his wages and then possibly sell him is a strong business move.

It does demonstrate the philosophy of the club though going after this type of player. For the record, i think financially we could risk about £10m this window and if the board felt our premiership status was under threat they would have spent. So chasing the bargains and thinking of survival sort of proves your point.

However, Ben Arfa and Ireland are the sorts of names you'd want to be going after. I'm not too fussed if the latter is on loan for now.

Head so far in the sand he relayed messages for the Chilean miners.

Its funny how at different times, we all get dragged into his stupid fucking arguments. Then your head start to hurts so you leave it for a while, then repeat.

He seems to think he's the only one who enjoyed the ride under Keegan. We all did, but more importantly we all wish we had people running the club who could have built on our success rather than syphoning off millions for themselves.

We all know it all started to go tits up under Shepherd and had a sale not gone through we would now be royally fucked.

We also all get it that it got a hell of a lot worse under Ashley.

But, and its a BIG fucking BUT, since relegation we are steadily recovering at all levels of the club.

Most would agree that our first choice 11 could probably beat anyone in this league.

We all agree the squad needs to improve and I have absolutely no doubt that it will.

But the only way we will attain and sustain european football is buy steadily adding quality players to the squad. Not trying to spunk Mega Millions and get a quick fix.

Leazes will never see this and even if we make the champions league in a few years, he will still bleat about how its still not as good.

Its more to do with Newcastle Online than anything else, trying to continually fight old battles with anyone who will raise to the bait.

Spot On.

you're wrong, because he won't "build" like you hope he will.

If you are happy with being "fine" ie premiership survival, then fair enough like.