Deadline Day

Christmas Tree

As an aside to this story. What is there to stop Carroll ringing up Ryder or Caulkin and just saying. "Just for the record lads, regardless of what anyone else has to say, Im going nowhere".

If he is going nowhere then absolutely nothing.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an aside to this story. What is there to stop Carroll ringing up Ryder or Caulkin and just saying. "Just for the record lads, regardless of what anyone else has to say, Im going nowhere".

Possibly any number of things in his contract that might forbid him discussing transfer dealings with the press. Not that I'm suggesting he'd necessarily pay any attention to what his contract may or may not say.

I bet you were good at telling ghost stories around the camp fire. :)

So stripping it all away lets not blow smoke up his arse about there being some fundamental truth in what he's saying which has somehow flawed everyone else's comprehension levels. All he's basically saying and all he has ever really said is that he wants us to spend at least as much if not more as the club that's spending the most money. Short of that he simply won't be happy.

I disagree.

I believe LM says the same as I do, that you cant compete at any level unless you populate your team with players of the quality required. That cannot be done at the highest level based on loans and lower league "prospects" you have to have some level of balance between new exciting young prospects and experienced top level players. If you want to break into Europe then you have to speculate to accumulate.

I dont know for definite if LM thinks we should break the bank, I know I dont think that we should but I do believe that a club of our size and potential income should be able to go out and spend £10m on a player if they're the cog we need to pull it together.

What is also true is that if you do not compete at the level then you cannot hold onto your Carrolls, Ben Arfas, Tiotes and the like. Sooner or later they'll have their heads turned by the prospect of Champions League, Premiership winners medals, FA Cups etc

Overall I believe that is what Leazes is saying and I agree.

For the record, if we get through tomorrow and havent sold any of our main players and bring in another couple of faces be they on loan or whatever then I will be happy.

Has he not said several times that he isn't going anywhere?

I dont think he has since the transfer window opened and definitely not in the last week or so since the Spurs interest. Not that he has to, its not his job to keep us happy with quotes but a direct quote from him now would shut the door on the speculation.

So stripping it all away lets not blow smoke up his arse about there being some fundamental truth in what he's saying which has somehow flawed everyone else's comprehension levels. All he's basically saying and all he has ever really said is that he wants us to spend at least as much if not more as the club that's spending the most money. Short of that he simply won't be happy.

I disagree.

I believe LM says the same as I do, that you cant compete at any level unless you populate your team with players of the quality required. That cannot be done at the highest level based on loans and lower league "prospects" you have to have some level of balance between new exciting young prospects and experienced top level players. If you want to break into Europe then you have to speculate to accumulate.

I dont know for definite if LM thinks we should break the bank, I know I dont think that we should but I do believe that a club of our size and potential income should be able to go out and spend £10m on a player if they're the cog we need to pull it together.

What is also true is that if you do not compete at the level then you cannot hold onto your Carrolls, Ben Arfas, Tiotes and the like. Sooner or later they'll have their heads turned by the prospect of Champions League, Premiership winners medals, FA Cups etc

For the record, if we get through tomorrow and havent sold any of our main players and bring in another couple of faces be they on loan or whatever then I will be happy.

I agree with you and I think that's just common sense.

I suspect LM would say that he agrees with that too, but in reality if you actually analyzed his output, his other contributions would simply not back that up.

I dont think he has since the transfer window opened and definitely not in the last week or so since the Spurs interest. Not that he has to, its not his job to keep us happy with quotes but a direct quote from him now would shut the door on the speculation.

Caulkin tweeting tonight that "NUFC reiterate today that Carroll is not for sale at any price".

I thought we were talking about ambition and spend and that Leazes wants it this season and i dont mind waiting till next season. The fundamental difference between us is that i have seen the club's transfer policy incrementally improve 3 window's in a row (if Ireland comes in). If survival is the aim this year, am not expecting £15m on a midfielder. Next season is different though, if the club is not re-investing the profits from this season back into the side then we wont be acting in keeping with the stature of the club.

In short, if the 'low-margin, cost-control' philosophy of Sports Direct continues beyond this transitional season, then Leazes has a point.

I thought we were talking about ambition and spend and that Leazes wants it this season and i dont mind waiting till next season. The fundamental difference between us is that i have seen the club's transfer policy incrementally improve 3 window's in a row (if Ireland comes in). If survival is the aim this year, am not expecting £15m on a midfielder. Next season is different though, if the club is not re-investing the profits from this season back into the side then we wont be acting in keeping with the stature of the club.

In short, if the 'low-margin, cost-control' philosophy of Sports Direct continues beyond this transitional season, then Leazes has a point.

Yes he does, if that's all he was saying, however it is patently obvious that's not all he's saying and theres years worth of posts for that to be a matter of judicial notice by now. Leazes' point is that unless we spend the sorts of sums that Man U, Chelsea and Man Citeh do (and by that I mean right now) then we can't win the Prem. But everyone knows that, that's why it gets so tedious.

My point is that my re-wording is the only thing that Leazes will be happy with and that will have to involve spending beyond our means, because those clubs currently spend beyond our means (Man U because they have more resources and City and Chelsea because they are billionaire playthings). I'm not decrying that on principle, it is a strategy for what it is worth, what I'm saying is stop trying to pass it off as a strategy that is more appropriate to or righteous for NUFC because we're a big club, because the size of the club ceases to have any relevance once you're talking about pure debt finance in the way that Leazes contemplates.

Caulkin tweeting tonight that "NUFC reiterate today that Carroll is not for sale at any price".

As has been said by many a person for many a time, that doesnt put me at ease.

I bet that upsets Big Mike more than anything

Me neither. You've got me scared. :)

I bet that upsets Big Mike more than anything

Perhaps you can offer your mate a consolitory handkerchief.

So all said and done in this transfer window we're looking at 2 out and 1 in.

Granted that the one in is technically a better player than the two departing, but he has attitude problems and plays in a position where we're already quite strong.

We've lost a wide player, an area where we were already very weak. I'd like to think that there's still a signing to come, but I'm not holding my breath. Ashley will think he's done enough to placate the fans in loaning Ireland, signing Ben Arfa permanently and re-signing Barton (frankly as good as he's playing I'd say not too many clubs would be interested in signing his because of his past).

Edited by OzToonFan

So all said and done in this transfer window we're looking at 2 out and 1 in.

Granted that the one in is technically a better player than the two departing, but he has attitude problems and plays in a position where we're already quite strong.

We've lost a wide player, an area where we were already very weak. I'd like to think that there's still a signing to come, but I'm not holding my breath. Ashley will think he's done enough to placate the fans in loaning Ireland, signing Ben Arfa permanently and re-signing Barton (frankly as good as he's playing I'd say not too many clubs would be interested in signing his because of his past).

He couldn't give a fuck about placating the fans.

And your Barton comment is daft. He is the key for us. When he plays, we play. Everyone in football acknowledges that.

I will be delighted if he re-signs and am sure lots of prem managers would love him in their team.

And your Barton comment is daft. He is the key for us. When he plays, we play. Everyone in football acknowledges that.

I will be delighted if he re-signs and am sure lots of prem managers would love him in their team.

It's not daft, it's the truth. Resigning him is a good thing, don't get me wrong. My point was that the club would hardly be battering away other clubs trying to sign him. The only ones that would genuinely be interested (on account of his reputation and past ruling out plenty more) wouldn't be willing to pay anywhere near enough. So, what I'm saying is whilst signing him is a good thing it's hardly a massive achievement. Re-signing Enrique would be a much bigger coup IMO.

I disagree.

We brought in Ben Arfa and Tiote last summer and offers for Barton and Carroll have been rejected this month. So would that make LM pro Ashley? :)