Deadline Day

Christmas Tree

I think we all acknowledge that you have to spend large to gain success nowadays but this notion that plunging the club into debt on the back of 'we're the 3rd biggest club in England' is crazy. I don't buy into this fan size debate having much say on matters.

We are going along canny and we have the quality in the squad to compete on our day with the vast majority of this league. There's not many I'd swap Simpson, Colo, Willo, Jose, Barton, Tiote, Nolan, Carroll, Ben Arfa for.

We need to add a few select quality players who'll cover up front and a right winger. Cover for Jose and we DO have a very good squad of players. I'm not normally 'Mr Brightside' but fuck me, d'you think we should be bidding for dzeko for example at 25 mill or Torres as we're 'as big as Chelsea'

It's a building project and we're on schedule, if not ahead this term.

Jesus wept.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Head so far in the sand he relayed messages for the Chilean miners.

Its funny how at different times, we all get dragged into his stupid fucking arguments. Then your head start to hurts so you leave it for a while, then repeat.

He seems to think he's the only one who enjoyed the ride under Keegan. We all did, but more importantly we all wish we had people running the club who could have built on our success rather than syphoning off millions for themselves.

We all know it all started to go tits up under Shepherd and had a sale not gone through we would now be royally fucked.

We also all get it that it got a hell of a lot worse under Ashley.

But, and its a BIG fucking BUT, since relegation we are steadily recovering at all levels of the club.

Most would agree that our first choice 11 could probably beat anyone in this league.

We all agree the squad needs to improve and I have absolutely no doubt that it will.

But the only way we will attain and sustain european football is buy steadily adding quality players to the squad. Not trying to spunk Mega Millions and get a quick fix.

Leazes will never see this and even if we make the champions league in a few years, he will still bleat about how its still not as good.

Its more to do with Newcastle Online than anything else, trying to continually fight old battles with anyone who will raise to the bait.

We will never, never reach the Champions League under Mike Ashley.

By the way, Leeds will be back in the premiership soon, if not next season. Do you think they will give a fuck about their time when they were in debt anymore ? They will tell people about their trips all over europe and reaching the Champions League Semi Final. But you are so fixated with your head up your arse about "debts" [which everybody has] you would prefer to spend years content with surviving and have absolutely nothing else to show for it all.

Football is about striving for success, and enjoying it while it is there. "Survival" is for the 3rd rate clubs with 20,000 crowds.

Can I ask you one question Leazes, please. If I may?

Who d'you think we should be in for given the current market, player valuations of themselves, players available?

I like Stephen Ireland from what he showed at Man City and think he could make a player here. The only place I'd look at would be a partner for Carroll. But who?

I'm sure our wealth of scouts have checked out a lot of avenues and we've tried to recruit better than we have at the moment. If we look at the marketplace, that's very difficult.

January's nee time to do business apart from deals that are too good to turn down or backup squad players generally.

Not sure, who is available ? I just think we should buy players who the manager thinks are top quality or have the potential to be good premiership players, irrespective of the price, within sensible budgets which goes without saying, but the point people still appear to miss is that we are the 3rd biggest club in the country and better than that if successful so why not act like it ? And I say this knowing that Manu have global appeal nobody can match, Man City and Chelsea are bankrolled outrageously but there is absolutely no reason why we should not be buying players of the quality and show the same ambitions that the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool do all the time.

Not doing this, and operating at the levels of the smaller clubs in the premiership is negating all our advantages of our fanbase and being the biggest one city one club in the country. If some people are OK with this, and say we are "fine" then that is up to them, but personally I think its a pile of bollocks and just not good enough.

What and get ourselves in a stupendous amount of debt...AGAIN.

If im honest i think the way FMA is running our finances is the right way to go. We stay up this season without spending much then we've clicked.

A modest outlay on a few quality players in the off season and another good place finish next year THEN we can talk about spending good money on quality and us then tapping into our potential.

Right now, for all our size or our history we are just another PL club.

Steady, sensible progression over the next two years will see us in a much better position to then look into re-stamping ourselves as one of the best clubs.

Right now size means fuck all.

Spot On.

you're wrong, because he won't "build" like you hope he will.

If you are happy with being "fine" ie premiership survival, then fair enough like.

There is a land far far away between premiership survival and the top four :)

Can I ask you one question Leazes, please. If I may?

Who d'you think we should be in for given the current market, player valuations of themselves, players available?

I like Stephen Ireland from what he showed at Man City and think he could make a player here. The only place I'd look at would be a partner for Carroll. But who?

I'm sure our wealth of scouts have checked out a lot of avenues and we've tried to recruit better than we have at the moment. If we look at the marketplace, that's very difficult.

January's nee time to do business apart from deals that are too good to turn down or backup squad players generally.

Not sure, who is available ? I just think we should buy players who the manager thinks are top quality or have the potential to be good premiership players, irrespective of the price, within sensible budgets which goes without saying, but the point people still appear to miss is that we are the 3rd biggest club in the country and better than that if successful so why not act like it ? And I say this knowing that Manu have global appeal nobody can match, Man City and Chelsea are bankrolled outrageously but there is absolutely no reason why we should not be buying players of the quality and show the same ambitions that the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool do all the time.

Not doing this, and operating at the levels of the smaller clubs in the premiership is negating all our advantages of our fanbase and being the biggest one city one club in the country. If some people are OK with this, and say we are "fine" then that is up to them, but personally I think its a pile of bollocks and just not good enough.

What and get ourselves in a stupendous amount of debt...AGAIN.

If im honest i think the way FMA is running our finances is the right way to go. We stay up this season without spending much then we've clicked.

A modest outlay on a few quality players in the off season and another good place finish next year THEN we can talk about spending good money on quality and us then tapping into our potential.

Right now, for all our size or our history we are just another PL club.

Steady, sensible progression over the next two years will see us in a much better position to then look into re-stamping ourselves as one of the best clubs.

Right now size means fuck all.

Spot On.

you're wrong, because he won't "build" like you hope he will.

If you are happy with being "fine" ie premiership survival, then fair enough like.

There is a land far far away between premiership survival and the top four :)

And your ambition is mid table survival then ?

We will never qualify for the Champions League under Mike Ashley. Never.

I think we all acknowledge that you have to spend large to gain success nowadays but this notion that plunging the club into debt on the back of 'we're the 3rd biggest club in England' is crazy. I don't buy into this fan size debate having much say on matters.

We are going along canny and we have the quality in the squad to compete on our day with the vast majority of this league. There's not many I'd swap Simpson, Colo, Willo, Jose, Barton, Tiote, Nolan, Carroll, Ben Arfa for.

We need to add a few select quality players who'll cover up front and a right winger. Cover for Jose and we DO have a very good squad of players. I'm not normally 'Mr Brightside' but fuck me, d'you think we should be bidding for dzeko for example at 25 mill or Torres as we're 'as big as Chelsea'

It's a building project and we're on schedule, if not ahead this term.

Jesus wept.

We have an app for that. :):razz:

Its funny how at different times, we all get dragged into his stupid fucking arguments. Then your head start to hurts so you leave it for a while, then repeat.

He seems to think he's the only one who enjoyed the ride under Keegan. We all did, but more importantly we all wish we had people running the club who could have built on our success rather than syphoning off millions for themselves.

We all know it all started to go tits up under Shepherd and had a sale not gone through we would now be royally fucked.

But, and its a BIG fucking BUT, since relegation we are steadily recovering at all levels of the club.

Most would agree that our first choice 11 could probably beat anyone in this league.

We all agree the squad needs to improve and I have absolutely no doubt that it will.

But the only way we will attain and sustain european football is buy steadily adding quality players to the squad. Not trying to spunk Mega Millions and get a quick fix.

Leazes will never see this and even if we make the champions league in a few years, he will still bleat about how its still not as good.

Its more to do with Newcastle Online than anything else, trying to continually fight old battles with anyone who will raise to the bait.

By the way, Leeds will be back in the premiership soon, if not next season. Do you think they will give a fuck about their time when they were in debt anymore ? They will tell people about their trips all over europe and reaching the Champions League Semi Final. But you are so fixated with your head up your arse about "debts" [which everybody has] you would prefer to spend years content with surviving and have absolutely nothing else to show for it all.

Football is about striving for success, and enjoying it while it is there. "Survival" is for the 3rd rate clubs with 20,000 crowds.

Nearly dragged me in... :)

Last bite.

The only person on this whole forum who portrays that future is you.

Nearly dragged me in... :)

Well, 3 years ago I was saying the same thing on Newcastle Online [as you have referred to it above] and nothing has changed apart from a few people now realise I was right all along.

Last bite.

The only person on this whole forum who portrays that future is you.

We will never qualify for the Champions League under Mike Ashley, it was obvious before he hardly had his foot through the door that this was going to be the case, all you had to do was open your eyes.

'you would spend years content with survival'

Why is everything polar opposites and no middle ground? You keep telling people 'if you dont think this, then you must think that..'

Are you the thought police like?

Watched the Fulham v Spurs match, Pardew was in the stands.

(1) Was he slumming?

(2) Was he in the Smoke looking for loan deals?

(3) Was he spending time at home with friends & relatives?

(4) Was he trying to cadge somebody from Harry?

Probably going through the details of Newcastle being a feeder club for Spurs with Harry :)

Watched the Fulham v Spurs match, Pardew was in the stands.

(1) Was he slumming?

(2) Was he in the Smoke looking for loan deals?

(3) Was he spending time at home with friends & relatives?

(4) Was he trying to cadge somebody from Harry?

Probably going through the details of Newcastle being a feeder club for Spurs with Harry :)

Or maybe just checking out our opposition I'd have thought like.

Why is everything polar opposites and no middle ground? You keep telling people 'if you dont think this, then you must think that..'

Well what do they want ?

I'm just pointing out what it takes to qualify for the upper positions of the premiership ?

Well what do they want ?

I'm just pointing out what it takes to qualify for the upper positions of the premiership again?

Fyp :)

He seems to think that Mike Ashley is unwilling to risk debt, not acknowledging that our credit cards were maxed out since the Shepherd era. He HAS debt leazes, we DID risk it and it DIDN'T work, we were unable to sustain the success that debt brought us, hence our decline towards the end of the last ownership. That debt still exists. Fucktard.

Leazes is right but imo the time to worry is next season if we are still scrabbling round for deals. Cant get worked up about it this year as we all agreed survival was the objective.

Now you've done it! :)

Leazes being right on this issue is like me saying you need a space ship to get to the moon.

We all know it costs mega millions to get into the champions league.

Because we are not signing Torres for the bench, Leazes takes that as the club having zero ambition.

Anyone who understands it will take time, has zero ambition.

Leazes is wrong.

Ireland is a step up from Guthrie and Smith and I thought he always looked decent at City

Ben Arfa is technicaly a new signing and again is an improvement

A striker would be good and may happen now xisco is off

If we replace 2 or 3 of our poorer players with better each window and hang onto the good ones then we won't go far wrong in the long run. We need to understand the days of massive fees and wages are gone but then again it never won us anything

Way to ruin a thread Leazes.

Sure, we won't qualify for Champions League under Mike Ashley but that's hardly surprising. We're currently behind two clubs in Manchester City and Chelsea who we can't compete with in terms of money. They're happy to be losing fistfulls of cash by the second. Then you have Manchester United who we can't compete with for their international profile and worldwide appeal. Liverpool too have a larger profile. Next down the list is Tottenham who have leveraged a continual growth by making excellent corporate and sponsorship deals that have helped them to continue their rise. Arsenal alll the while have been comparatively frugal squirreling away money to pay for their new stadium, whilst maintaining their European presence through continual Champions League status.

....Anyways....

Does the window technically close at midnight tonight? Or do they also get to use Monday to finalise their deals? I'm thought that was the case previously?

Way to ruin a thread Leazes.

Sure, we won't qualify for Champions League under Mike Ashley but that's hardly surprising. We're currently behind two clubs in Manchester City and Chelsea who we can't compete with in terms of money. They're happy to be losing fistfulls of cash by the second. Then you have Manchester United who we can't compete with for their international profile and worldwide appeal. Liverpool too have a larger profile. Next down the list is Tottenham who have leveraged a continual growth by making excellent corporate and sponsorship deals that have helped them to continue their rise. Arsenal alll the while have been comparatively frugal squirreling away money to pay for their new stadium, whilst maintaining their European presence through continual Champions League status.

....Anyways....

Does the window technically close at midnight tonight? Or do they also get to use Monday to finalise their deals? I'm thought that was the case previously?

11pm Monday 31st

Just to keep us all biting our nails tomorrow.

Harry Redknapp left open the prospect of signing Newcastle United's Andy Carroll before the transfer window closes tomorrow evening by admitting his chairman, Daniel Levy, may have made a bid for the striker. It is also understood Athletic Bilbao rejected a £25m offer for their forward Fernando Llorente from Tottenham Hotspur.

Following Spurs' record 4-0 defeat by Fulham in the FA Cup fourth round today it was confirmed that Robbie Keane had signed on loan for West Ham United until the end of the season. Asked if this meant Redknapp requires another goalscorer to join Jermain Defoe, Roman Pavlyuchenko and Peter Crouch he said: "I never made a bid for Andy Carroll. Maybe the chairman did but I never did. Nobody has told me we've made a bid. I can't get a striker in – Robbie Keane has gone on loan, we've lost him. The chairman made the deal. I think it's on loan but, if they stay up, there's a set fee [of £6m for West Ham] to buy him."

He's full of shit like. As if the chairman is going to bid for Carroll without his knowledge.

As an aside to this story. What is there to stop Carroll ringing up Ryder or Caulkin and just saying. "Just for the record lads, regardless of what anyone else has to say, Im going nowhere".

Leazes is right but imo the time to worry is next season if we are still scrabbling round for deals. Cant get worked up about it this year as we all agreed survival was the objective.

Now you've done it! :)

Leazes being right on this issue is like me saying you need a space ship to get to the moon.

Aye, basically.

It's pointless addressing Leazes' criticism of the club's 'ambition' though in any event because his charge list is a complete moveable feast. Sometimes it's predicated on our size (we're 3rd 'biggest' (attendances) ergo we should be at least 3rd biggest spending) and other times it's wholly focussed on debt finance (we should just spend any amount, regardless of who and how we finance that) in which case if you follow that argument, it really doesnt matter how big the club is anyway because you're talking about a method of financing which bares no relationship to the size of the club in any event.

So stripping it all away lets not blow smoke up his arse about there being some fundamental truth in what he's saying which has somehow flawed everyone else's comprehension levels. All he's basically saying and all he has ever really said is that he wants us to spend at least as much if not more as the club that's spending the most money. Short of that he simply won't be happy.

As a strategy it amounts to nothing more than a very basic desire that we outspend everyone. We can all relate to that and theres part of everyone that would like to see it I suspect, but it needs to be acknowledged for what it is.

Anyway as he's already said, Ashley will be bought out at the start of the year so I fail to see why he still expends energy 'exposing' the limitations of the Ashley model in the context of Champions League success, to people who are perfectly capable of understanding basic mathematics.