Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If another player goes we'll probably make a net profit on transfers and it'll still be spun as the £35m going back into the club. And some people on here will still lap it up. The only good thing is they aren't remotely representative of proper fans you speak to.

While still optimistic about the new season, the main measure for me is whether the best team we can put out this season is better than the best team we could have put out last season.

Krul

Krul

Simpson --- Taylor --- Colochini --- Enrique

Barton --- Tiote --- Nolan --- Jonas

Barton --- Tiote --- Cabaye - Marveaux

Ben-Arfa

Ben-Arfa

Carrol

Ba

So far you have to say that last years team beats this years team. Still doesnt mean you have to be negative about the coming season.

Edited by Christmas Tree

While still optimistic about the new season, the main measure for me is whether the best team we can put out this season is better than the best team we could have put out last season.

Krul

Krul

Ben-Arfa

Ben-Arfa

Carrol

Ba

So far you have to say that last years team beats this years team. Still doesnt mean you have to be negative about the coming season.

Fair enough being optimistic but I think people often question the reasons for your optimism. The above post should probably tell you why that's the case.

Krul

Krul

Ben-Arfa

Ben-Arfa

Carrol

Ba

Ben Arfa played something like 4 matches

I'm only really interested in the here and now tbh, not what happened four years ago or even longer in Leazes case.

One group will view this thread , stupidly, as Ashley making a personal profit. Another will see it as his lack of ambition and another will see it as necessary actions during a very turbulent time when the club was losing money hand over fist.

Most fans are probably only interested in whether we can add to the excellent business that was Cabaye and whether we can hang onto Enrique, Barton and Nolan and star next season stronger than last.

Excellent business??? He's a second tier player from a mediocre league and nobody else was interested. Gameiro or Gervinho might have been "excellent" business, this bloke is scraps....

Edited by StevieRoss

He could turn out to be an excellent piece of business. No way you can say that the deal was that at present mind.

Edited by alex

My optimism for next season is based on what looks like a very impressive midfield five creating goal scoring opportunities as well as contributing goals themselves.

Quite often in games last season we seemed to lack the necessary flair in the last third. I think that midfield should create plenty and hopefully we can field a centre forward who can thrive on all the possession / chances we will create.

Thats not to take away from the lack of investment of thinness of the squad.

Krul

Krul

Ben-Arfa

Ben-Arfa

Carrol

Ba

Ben Arfa played something like 4 matches

I know, but I was comapring the best 11 we could have fielded last year v this in relation to judging the transfer window.

My optimism for next season is based on what looks like a very impressive midfield five creating goal scoring opportunities as well as contributing goals themselves.

Quite often in games last season we seemed to lack the necessary flair in the last third. I think that midfield should create plenty and hopefully we can field a centre forward who can thrive on all the possession / chances we will create.

And therein lies the problem. To a certain extent we 'got away' with having a thin squad last year. This season we may not be so lucky.

I'm only really interested in the here and now tbh, not what happened four years ago or even longer in Leazes case.

One group will view this thread , stupidly, as Ashley making a personal profit. Another will see it as his lack of ambition and another will see it as necessary actions during a very turbulent time when the club was losing money hand over fist.

Most fans are probably only interested in whether we can add to the excellent business that was Cabaye and whether we can hang onto Enrique, Barton and Nolan and star next season stronger than last.

Excellent business??? He's a second tier player from a mediocre league and nobody else was interested. Gameiro or Gervinho might have been "excellent" business, this bloke is scraps....

:lol: Think that will come back to haunt you next season.

And therein lies the problem. To a certain extent we 'got away' with having a thin squad last year. This season we may not be so lucky.

Think I've said similar before. Maybe you could argue that we should've picked up more points at home but to get as many points (and wins in particular) away from home with the amount of goals we scored in those games was freakish and certainly won't be repeated. The new additions will have to do well to make up for Nolan's goals too. I agree with CT to an extent though. We did lack dynamism and pace in midfield and upfront and perhaps that has been addressed in part. Ben Arfa should make a difference too. We need to get lucky with key players staying fit though because of the squad depth.

:lol: So the real net figures as of this moment are?

...in the OP where I maintain the current situation.

If you mean a selective record of newspaper reports from a renowned group of speculative journalists (football), then yes.

If you had any pretensions of keeping a record of anything, you would have noted the £12m cash losss (before amortisation, which increases this greatly) from the relegation season and the £22.2m cash loss from the championship season. Over those two seasons, excluding player transfers, our net debt increased by (funnily enough) £34.2m. When you add in Ben Arfa, Tiote and the costs of player deals from Jan / Summer 2010, then you have around £50m going out of the club, which is balanced by the £47m coming in through player sales.

If you had any pretensions whatsoever of presenting the 'current situation' you'd have written about this. Link?

Edited by ChezGiven

If you mean a selective record of newspaper reports from a renowned group of speculative journalists (football), then yes.

If you had any pretensions of keeping a record of anything, you would have noted the £12m cash losss (before amortisation, which increases this greatly) from the relegation season and the £22.2m cash loss from the championship season. Over those two seasons, excluding player transfers, our net debt increased by (funnily enough) £34.2m. When you add in Ben Arfa, Tiote and the costs of player deals from Jan / Summer 2010, then you have around £50m going out of the club, which is balanced by the £47m coming in through player sales.

If you had any pretensions whatsoever of presenting the 'current situation' you'd have written about this. Link?

Nah, I'll just do the basics of what Ashley's spent on players and what he's earned on their sales cheers, whether he had to do it having got us relegated or not.

- He was one of the most integral players in a league winning side

- He's a French international

- How do you know no-one else was interested? We got in there early before anyone else could make a move, perhaps.

- You call him "scraps" yet you almost certainly have no idea whether he's truly any good or not.

Judge him when he's had a few games perhaps?

Edited by Tecato

I never realised Ashley had more or less managed to execute his long-term aim of making the club break even. Perhaps I'm not giving him enough credit.

I've not seen any of him but when we signed Cabaye, a lot of people who watch the French league were saying he was a canny player. With Routledge going though, we need an option like him off the bench; last season, it was depressing running out of alternatives once Ranger was on the pitch.

Nah, I'll just do the basics of what Ashley's spent on players and what he's earned on their sales cheers, whether he had to do it having got us relegated or not.

Maybe that post would have gone better in the 'where's the money gone thread?' but it would be a shame if you hid behind the thread title to avoid addressing the information in the post.

I've not seen any of him but when we signed Cabaye, a lot of people who watch the French league were saying he was a canny player. With Routledge going though, we need an option like him off the bench; last season, it was depressing running out of alternatives once Ranger was on the pitch.

I haven't seen a lot either but getting games for France in midfield suggests he's not a bad player.