Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

I've not seen any of him but when we signed Cabaye, a lot of people who watch the French league were saying he was a canny player. With Routledge going though, we need an option like him off the bench; last season, it was depressing running out of alternatives once Ranger was on the pitch.

I haven't seen a lot either but getting games for France in midfield suggests he's not a bad player.

Stéphane Guivarc'h :lol:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: So the real net figures as of this moment are?

...in the OP where I maintain the current situation.

If you mean a selective record of newspaper reports from a renowned group of speculative journalists (football), then yes.

If you had any pretensions of keeping a record of anything, you would have noted the £12m cash losss (before amortisation, which increases this greatly) from the relegation season and the £22.2m cash loss from the championship season. Over those two seasons, excluding player transfers, our net debt increased by (funnily enough) £34.2m. When you add in Ben Arfa, Tiote and the costs of player deals from Jan / Summer 2010, then you have around £50m going out of the club, which is balanced by the £47m coming in through player sales.

If you had any pretensions whatsoever of presenting the 'current situation' you'd have written about this. Link?

Nah, I'll just do the basics of what Ashley's spent on players and what he's earned on their sales cheers, whether he had to do it having got us relegated or not.

Maybe that post would have gone better in the 'where's the money gone thread?' but it would be a shame if you hid behind the thread title to avoid addressing the information in the post.

I think you've misunderstood "current situation". By which I mean the Summer 2011 window net spend which I resurrected the thread to ponder, and which CT asked me about.

I know your well documented problem with the overall figure, but I think more people like to have something with a ballpark figure, whatever wider picture it ignores.

I'm only really interested in the here and now tbh, not what happened four years ago or even longer in Leazes case.

One group will view this thread , stupidly, as Ashley making a personal profit. Another will see it as his lack of ambition and another will see it as necessary actions during a very turbulent time when the club was losing money hand over fist.

Most fans are probably only interested in whether we can add to the excellent business that was Cabaye and whether we can hang onto Enrique, Barton and Nolan and star next season stronger than last.

Excellent business??? He's a second tier player from a mediocre league and nobody else was interested. Gameiro or Gervinho might have been "excellent" business, this bloke is scraps....

"quality footballer" has now became "excellent business"

the cabaye signing was encouraging. i haven't seen much of him but he's a french international and played in the side that just won the title so he can't be a bad player. whether he adapts to the premiership is another matter.

i'm not convinced by the rest of the signings though - two sicknotes and an untried kid. we need to re-invest a lot more of this 35m if we want to avoid another season of mediocrity but the noises coming out of the club suggests otherwise.

Edited by Dr Gloom

the cabaye signing was encouraging. i haven't seen much of him but he's a french international and played in the side that just won the title so he can't be a bad player. whether he adapts to the premiership is another matter.

i'm not convinced by the rest of the signings though - two sicknotes and an untried kid. we need to re-invest a lot more of this 35m if we want to avoid another season of mediocrity but the noises coming out of the club suggests otherwise.

I dont mind the signings. Ba looks capable (for 2/3 of the season). Cabaye looks like a good grafter and is said to be good at distributing the ball. How he fits in to the prem remains to be seen but could work well in the centre with Tiote. Im looking forward to seeing Ben Arfa get a good run and how Gosling shapes up. Marv sounds decent but I dont know much about him. These are all fair signing imo, however, it's not enough. If Enrique leaves (and it sounds like he will) we are fucked for LB. I know the club are said to still be looking for a forward but it's a must. We NEED a good forward to go with Ba and even then we lack depth.

While I dont buy into the line of him siphoning money out of the club (though I did read something about loan repayments to the tune of £13K per year? Id like to see that confirmed or not), but I do think they are using transfer income to cover other operating costs. Which is a bit of a joke tbf. If we need additional revenue to cover overheads, how about Llambias does his fucking job and markets the club? How about we increase revenue through selling boxes? How about we increase sponsorship outside of sports fucking direct we (and I may be wrong) probably get advertising at a preferred rate. Sure the wageroll maybe needs to come down, so how about we offload Perch, Best, Lovenkrands, Xisco, Smith et al? Easier said than done I know, but I imagine for some it may be cheaper to cancel their contract than try to sell?

stop moaning you have what you wanted

I dont mind the signings. Ba looks capable (for 2/3 of the season). Cabaye looks like a good grafter and is said to be good at distributing the ball. How he fits in to the prem remains to be seen but could work well in the centre with Tiote. Im looking forward to seeing Ben Arfa get a good run and how Gosling shapes up. Marv sounds decent but I dont know much about him. These are all fair signing imo, however, it's not enough. If Enrique leaves (and it sounds like he will) we are fucked for LB. I know the club are said to still be looking for a forward but it's a must. We NEED a good forward to go with Ba and even then we lack depth.

While I dont buy into the line of him siphoning money out of the club (though I did read something about loan repayments to the tune of £13K per year? Id like to see that confirmed or not), but I do think they are using transfer income to cover other operating costs. Which is a bit of a joke tbf. If we need additional revenue to cover overheads, how about Llambias does his fucking job and markets the club? How about we increase revenue through selling boxes? How about we increase sponsorship outside of sports fucking direct we (and I may be wrong) probably get advertising at a preferred rate. Sure the wageroll maybe needs to come down, so how about we offload Perch, Best, Lovenkrands, Xisco, Smith et al? Easier said than done I know, but I imagine for some it may be cheaper to cancel their contract than try to sell?

good at his job, that Dekka

Selling shirts in the Far East etc with Lovenkrands on it may be a problem though

Edited by LeazesMag

Nail on the fucking heed.

Spot on post that.

so how much of the Carroll and Nolan money has been handed to the manager to buy good replacements so far ?

Something between not much and fuck all, mind you its enough to keep some mugs happy. It looks like the current yardstick has moved to the "First XI" we can put out. Marvellous, CT any thoughts on what happens with injuries, suspensions and the last minutes sales of good players? What odds on Enrique being fucked off to the bin dippers in the last few hours of the transfer window.

The squad now is even thinner now than it was last season ffs. But as that's all part of the Fatmans Plan of making even more money that's ok then.. I see some people are still waiting for the penny to drop.

so how much of the Carroll and Nolan money has been handed to the manager to buy good replacements so far ?

Something between not much and fuck all, mind you its enough to keep some mugs happy. It looks like the current yardstick has moved to the "First XI" we can put out. Marvellous, CT any thoughts on what happens with injuries, suspensions and the last minutes sales of good players? What odds on Enrique being fucked off to the bin dippers in the last few hours of the transfer window.

The squad now is even thinner now than it was last season ffs. But as that's all part of the Fatmans Plan of making even more money that's ok then.. I see some people are still waiting for the penny to drop.

the suspense of wondering how long it will take it to happen....

Meanwhile, I can't help but smile at certain posters who don't respond to these sort of comments I make now, and claim it's because they have "better things to do", or I "ruin threads", or "say the same thing all the time" etc etc....when they KNOW it is because they gave me flak for saying what I said years ago and have now been proved absolutely conclusively wrong and simply can't bring themselves to admit it.

And I'm not just talking about Gloomy.

Enrique to go on 31st August, leaving no time to replace him, because he resisted all last minute attempts to keep him and the club did everything they could ...... nailed on.

Whats happened to the amazing scouting that was going on?

We've only got Cabaye and Marveaux to show for it, I thought he was going all around Europe looking at players for our team when all it looks like were going to do now and the noises out of the club is add a LB for peanuts and a striker

We've only got Cabaye and Marveaux to show for it, I thought he was going all around Europe looking at players for our team when all it looks like were going to do now and the noises out of the club is add a LB for peanuts and a striker

shhht.....lets all judge the regime on September 1st, the end of their NINTH transfer window.

Contrary to others :lol: , I find this a bit of a strange post from someone who has their own business.

You assume in your second paragraph that none of the other stuff has or is being tried. One player on 40 grand a week equates to over 2 million a year. How many extra boxes do we need to make a dent in that? Why mention all the dead wood and then say "easier said than done".

If this was your business that had been losing money hand over fist for years, you would do whatever you could to break even.

I would love to have an arab throwing his personal money about but how quite a few of you constantly lap up this theory that the club or most clubs can operate without breaking even (at least) is beyond me.

Virtually every club sells to improve whether that be on transfer fees or getting better plays in on higher wages or offering better contracts to your better players. This extra money has to come from somewhere.

Contrary to others :lol: , I find this a bit of a strange post from someone who has their own business.

You assume in your second paragraph that none of the other stuff has or is being tried. One player on 40 grand a week equates to over 2 million a year. How many extra boxes do we need to make a dent in that? Why mention all the dead wood and then say "easier said than done".

If this was your business that had been losing money hand over fist for years, you would do whatever you could to break even.

I would love to have an arab throwing his personal money about but how quite a few of you constantly lap up this theory that the club or most clubs can operate without breaking even (at least) is beyond me.

Virtually every club sells to improve whether that be on transfer fees or getting better plays in on higher wages or offering better contracts to your better players. This extra money has to come from somewhere.

This isnt happening though

Why mention it? I dont quite follow you. When I took my business through the recession, sure I had to let some people go as it's the biggest overhead. But, I also done the small things like renegotiate phone contracts. You dont do one thing or the other. You do lots of small things as well as they add up. So you done just offload a player, you also explore other avenue's. Selling one box might not sound much, but if you sell a box, and save on ground staff, save on electric bills, buy cheaper food and mark up higher, and 10p to a pint, make more from advertising, and so on and so on. It all adds up.

Not sure what you mean by me saying "easier said than done". Im acknowledging that while to me it's an obvious thing to do, I also appreciate it's not that simple.

Of course the money has to come from somewhere to fund players. Thats kind of my point. But usually clubs use transfers to fund other transfers. They have their overheads funded in the first instance by operating income. Gates, season tickets, marketing, TV and so on. From this you would hope there was a surplus for new squad investment. This figure topped up by player outgoings. We seem to be the opposite. The overheads being topped up by player sales. Is out overhead to turnover ratio really that fucked?

Plus, most clubs will fund club improvements (ie training grounds) with loans from the bank etc.

Don't forget Abeid :lol:

So, in essence, Mike Ashley still has 40m quid - or most of it - from the sale of Carroll and Nolan to give to his manager to improve the team with, having sold those 2 players ?

This would appear to be the case.

So, in essence, Mike Ashley still has 40m quid - or most of it - from the sale of Carroll and Nolan to give to his manager to improve the team with, having sold those 2 players ?

I think we are one of the first top division clubs in the last 20 years who are truly living withion our means....with mountains of cash to spare too. If we do manage to stay up next season it will be a small miracle for all the wrong reasons (its more than possible if key players stay fit for most of the season iyam) and will only encourage Ashley to attempt to continue treading water for the next decade or so. Is this why ST prices have been frozen for 10 years?... :lol:

I think we are one of the first top division clubs in the last 20 years who are truly living withion our means....with mountains of cash to spare too. If we do manage to stay up next season it will be a small miracle for all the wrong reasons (its more than possible if key players stay fit for most of the season iyam) and will only encourage Ashley to attempt to continue treading water for the next decade or so. Is this why ST prices have been frozen for 10 years?... :lol:

indeed. But according to some people, every other club who hasn't is only a couple of quid away from administration, so we are doing it properly. Come next May, we will be celebrating the balance sheet, as football has fuck all to do with what happens on the pitch and winning games and qualifying for europe is of minor significance.

The results of Ashleys transfer policy are beginning to bear fruit and will very soon be obvious to even the biggest moron.

When's the balance sheet due out? We should have a countdown to really build up the excitement......

:lol:

we have a few more thousand to add to the kitty now ie the "naughty boy tax" as Gemmill calls it. That makes approx 35.x million quid to spend on transfer fees left.

And this, to remind some people AGAIN, is the NINTH transfer window since this shower took over.

• 2 weeks later...