Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like West Ham are going to appoint Slaven Bilic.

Not sure what to think about this.

Someone tell me?

You need to think we should be chasing managers of this calibre rather than just going for absolute dross like Schteve McClaren who has absolutely nothing positive to offer the team whatsoever!

You need to think we should be chasing managers of this calibre rather than just going for absolute dross like Schteve McClaren who has absolutely nothing positive to offer the team whatsoever!

Why like, what's Bilic ever achieved as a club manager?

Why like, what's Bilic ever achieved as a club manager?

Very little (took Moscow to their lowest position in the reformed Russian league) but he's an exciting foreign coach so must be a better option than the wally with the brolly.

Very little (took Moscow to their lowest position in the reformed Russian league) but he's an exciting foreign coach so must be a better option than the wally with the brolly.

Howay man. McLaren isn't an exciting appointment by any stretch of the imagination, but Bilic isn't coming with the same kind of CV as Garde and that lot did. McLaren's CV is better than Bilic's as well.

Howay man. McLaren isn't an exciting appointment by any stretch of the imagination, but Bilic isn't coming with the same kind of CV as Garde and that lot did. McLaren's CV is better than Bilic's as well.

Your sarcasm detector seems to be off today Fish. I don't think Garde's record is particularly better than Bilic though is it?

McClaren has acheived more than both of them although it could be argued he has more failure than both too. I've not got any real problem with McClaren but as you say he's not exciting and doesn't suggest Ashley has decided to do anything different to what's been done before. But he's a much more highly regarded coach than we've had in a long time and even if he's got Carver and Stone working under him, he should be able to get more from what he's given than Pardew got.

It's a pretty fair bet Bilic wasn't even on our radar, so what he could or couldn't do for us is moot. Should it have come down to a situation where he had to choose between taking our job or West Ham's, under the current conditions I don't think he would have even wasted a second even considering us. He's going to a club he knows, both both clearly want to back him and share his goal of good football, so good luck to him. I'd kill for a taste of that action, whoever it was. Would I surprised if he crashes and burns? Probably not. But would I be surprised if under McLaren to we finished below the ammers? No. And btw, when compared to McLaren, Bilic's CV is pretty impressive when you consider that in many ways international football is a better test of true tactical/coaching/motivational skills than club management.

It's a pretty fair bet Bilic wasn't even on our radar, so what he could or couldn't do for us is moot. Should it have come down to a situation where he had to choose between taking our job or West Ham's, under the current conditions I don't think he would have even wasted a second even considering us. He's going to a club he knows, both both clearly want to back him and share his goal of good football, so good luck to him. I'd kill for a taste of that action, whoever it was. Would I surprised if he crashes and burns? Probably not. But would I be surprised if under McLaren to we finished below the ammers? No. And btw, when compared to McLaren, Bilic's CV is pretty impressive when you consider that in many ways international football is a better test of true tactical/coaching/motivational skills than club management.

But we aren't an international team. McClaren has won a league and a cup with teams who had never done that before. Surely that deserves some respect?

French cup, French version of the Charity Shield, 51.28% win ratio.

Please don't use winning a friendly game as winning a trophy! And Bilic has a 55.16 win % including internaitonal football. Don't see any mention of him winning a cup like.

Please don't use winning a friendly game as winning a trophy! And Bilic has a 55.16 win % including internaitonal football. Don't see any mention of him winning a cup like.

:dunno: it's listed as an "honour" and even if you ignore it, Bilic has won nothing, despite playing in poorer leagues. He took Lokomotiv Moscow to their lowest finish since 1992.

More importantly, Garde has a good reputation for style of play, even when many of his best players were sold from under him.

But we aren't an international team. McClaren has won a league and a cup with teams who had never done that before. Surely that deserves some respect?

Sure, but let's not get crazy here. McLaren certainly wouldn't be the first manager who'd won a foreign league to completely fail in the PL. And his Boro record is massively distorted by Gibson, so much so that it's almost irrelevant to how he might work under Ashley. Given managers of NUFC can only currently buy certain players in a specific age/price range, or promote from youth, then this job currently might be more like international football than you might think.

:dunno: it's listed as an "honour" and even if you ignore it, Bilic has won nothing, despite playing in poorer leagues. He took Lokomotiv Moscow to their lowest finish since 1992.

More importantly, Garde has a good reputation for style of play, even when many of his best players were sold from under him.

I said that myself about Moscow (well words to that effect). I also saw Bilic's Bestiktas take apart two of this country's supposed best teams in the Europa league and give Arsenal a very good run for their money in the Champions league play off.

I would say that Bilic would be at least on a par with Garde in terms of reputation and how happy I'd be with him being appointed here.

Sure, but let's not get crazy here. McLaren certainly wouldn't be the first manager who'd won a foreign league to completely fail in the PL. And his Boro record is massively distorted by Gibson, so much so that it's almost irrelevant to how he might work under Ashley. Given managers of NUFC can only currently buy certain players in a specific age/price range, or promote from youth, then this job currently might be more like international football than you might think.

Not one person has gone crazy supporting McClaren's appointment though. A few, like myself, think it's positive while not exciting. It doesn't change my opinion of Ashley or make me want him out any less but it gives me a bit of confidence that we'll see something that makes me want to go to the match again next season.

Which is exactly what the Fat Bastard was hoping for after his momentous speech. Don't fall for it. It's another bog standard post-strop Ashley-era appointment.

I'm not falling for anything. I think McClaren can get more out of what he's given than Pardew could (I'm not even considering Carver). Do I think he'll be given enough to get us that elusive trophy win or champions league spot? No I don't. Can I still enjoy the match again with those while still wanting Ashley gone? Absolutely.

I'm not falling for anything. I think McClaren can get more out of what he's given than Pardew could (I'm not even considering Carver). Do I think he'll be given enough to get us that elusive trophy win or champions league spot? No I don't. Can I still enjoy the match again with those while still wanting Ashley gone? Absolutely.

No, do what Mako says you're doing, even if it's actually the opposite of your opinion.